[comp.sys.amiga.games] Bard's Tale III

icsrc110@Msu3.oscs.montana.edu (Jeff Brabant) (11/28/90)

I just saw BT III for the IBM available.  Is it available for the Amiga?
Please someone tell me it is!!!
Thanks

Jeff Brabant

****  o  Pirates all the way in '91 !!!!
****  o  Notre Dame rules!!!
****  o  Steelers will be there!!!
****  o  Mr. Robinson's neighborhood for World Champs!  Spurs!!

swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) (04/07/91)

Has anybody already played Bard's Tale III on the Amiga? Seems that we have
another ugly conversion here. The graphics is C64-Standard and it's awfully
slow. Ugh!

--
sascha wildner              swildner@channelz.gun.de
am druvendriesch 27         {tmpmbx,mcshh,smurf,unido}!easix!channelz!swildner

beust@mimosa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (04/09/91)

In article <swildner.3504@channelz.gun.de>, swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) writes:
|> Has anybody already played Bard's Tale III on the Amiga? Seems that we have
|> another ugly conversion here. The graphics is C64-Standard and it's awfully
|> slow. Ugh!

  Well, at first sight, I wouldn't be so negative. The Wizardry VI debate
has shown appearances can be misleading. I agree that "Thief of Fate"'s
graphics have some EGA flavor that is hardly bearable for Amigamen. Nevertheless,
I'm ready to give this game a chance, especially because the scenario
seems to be quite different from the other two.

  We can expect it will be far less complex than Wizardry VI, though, since
it fits on two disks...

  More on this when I've played longer with it.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

 beust@mimosa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) writes:
> swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) writes:

>> Has anybody already played Bard's Tale III on the Amiga? Seems that
>> we have another ugly conversion here. The graphics is C64-Standard
>> and it's awfully slow. Ugh!

> Well, at first sight, I wouldn't be so negative. The Wizardry VI
> debate has shown appearances can be misleading. I agree that "Thief of
> Fate"'s graphics have some EGA flavor that is hardly bearable for
> Amigamen. Nevertheless, I'm ready to give this game a chance,
> especially because the scenario seems to be quite different from the
> other two.

> We can expect it will be far less complex than Wizardry VI, though,
> since it fits on two disks...

> More on this when I've played longer with it.

All of the usual questions, please:

1) Does "crufty EGA graphics" mean "just like I & II", or "worse than I & II"?

2) The usual questions on politically correct copy protection, HD installation,
   etc.

I really enjoyed B.T. I, and somehow have never found time to go back and
finish BT II (a real life intruded for almost a year, and at the end of
that, other things had my attention), but someday I will; if BT III is of
acceptable (not "super") quality, I'd like to pick it up now even if I
don't unwrap it for a couple of years.

3) I'm especially interested to know if it runs OK on an A3000, since
that might well be the house machine by the time I get around to it.

Kent, the man from xanth.

beust@mimosa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.171036.17118@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>All of the usual questions, please:
>
>1) Does "crufty EGA graphics" mean "just like I & II", or "worse than I & II"?

  From what I've seen so far, the graphics seem effectively to be less
attractive than numbers 1 and 2. You know? That typical EGA-blur that
makes you think someone must have spittled on the drawing boards :-)
But then again, so are Wiz VI's ones, and it didn't prevent some
people to spend hours on that game, nor will it prevent me from giving
a real chance to BT3 although it seems repulsive at first sight.

  To sum up, the graphics of the first two seem to be more precise and
more pleasant to stare at for hours.

>2) The usual questions on politically correct copy protection, HD
>installation,

  BT3 is not disk-copy protected: it's a good ol' AmigaDos disk with
icons and all the stuff. It is manual-protected, though, and it seems
this protection will be asked in the middle of the game since I
haven't met it so far.

  It is HD-installable and there's even a program to do so included.
Needless to say it's much much faster to play on the HD. It seems to
multitask fine (it doesn't block keyboard input, like Wiz VI used to).

  Disclaimer: I haven't gone far enough in the game to affirm what I'm
saying is the undisputed truth. So please, no flame if you buy this
game on my word and realize you don't like it at all. I'm not saying
it is good, I'm not saying it is bad. Just ask to take a look at it
before buying.

>3) I'm especially interested to know if it runs OK on an A3000, since
>that might well be the house machine by the time I get around to it.

  I can't help you with that. My guess is that it seems to use very
standard Amiga libraries calls and therefore, has much more chances to
run on an A3000 than Lemmings has... You'll have to try it by yourself.

  Any comments from people having played more than me on BT3 are
welcome.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony J. Stuckey) (04/11/91)

the protection I have seen on BT III ( Apple II varitety) is that
of a code that must be entered to correctly use the chronomancer's
teleport spells. (to get to the second 6 dimensions).

--
Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

beust@mimosa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (04/12/91)

In article <3976@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, roddi@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Roddi Walker) writes:
|> 	While I was playing Bard's Tale III, I didn't notice any sound after
|> the intro scene.  Is this normal?

  I didn't hear any neither.

  After a few more hours of play, I must say that I'm enjoying the game.
Finally, you quickly get used to the poor graphics, and even begin to
say that, all in all, they're not _that_ bad (see the chests, the icons
of your players, etc...). What is a real shame is that the worst graphics
are the mazes. See the catacombs, for examples. Sometimes, you think of
the 3-D wire-frame graphics of the 'Proving grounds of the Mad Overlord'
and sigh in nostalgia...

  Adepts of Wizardry VI will love. The others...

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

bertrand@lifia.imag.fr (Bertrand Delsart) (06/03/91)

I'm stuck under the `middle of Nowhere' (Sceadu's den) in Tenebrosia.
I've read the messages of the lower level
	- If Nowhere is a circle then the middle is at the end ...
	- .... Wrong location ! ... (at each end)
Could somebody tell me WHAT to do (and WHERE) ?
Thanks ...

- bertrand@nereide.imag.fr

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) (06/03/91)

bertrand@lifia.imag.fr (Bertrand Delsart) writes:

>I'm stuck under the `middle of Nowhere' (Sceadu's den) in Tenebrosia.
>I've read the messages of the lower level
>	- If Nowhere is a circle then the middle is at the end ...
>	- .... Wrong location ! ... (at each end)
>Could somebody tell me WHAT to do (and WHERE) ?
>Thanks ...

THere's a secret door in the middle of the northern wall of the circle
in the second level of Nowhere.

Still, my walkthru is around...

Keep slaying,
	Efchen
---
   /~\   |  Martin Friedrich       IRC/FN/BITNET: Efchen
  C oo   |  Postfach 1602     NightFall: Sir Efchen, Knight of Elvendar
  _( ^)  |  8520 Erlangen
   ~\    |  GERMANY        InterNet:mnfriedr@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
 Tie two birds together. Though they have four wings, they cannot fly.
                                                    - The silent Flute