[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings - Level 6 Taxing

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (05/31/91)

I am having a hard time figuring out Taxing level 6 in Lemmings. You start
out on a platform in the middle of the screen with lemmings coming out four
openings separated by pillars. There is an area you can dig in below them
but there is metal on the bottom and right of the area you can dig in.
You can climb down the left hand side but the "hallway" you can walk down
has a masher that crushes the little guys. You can dig over to the edge on
the right hand side but it is too far for them to fall (you have no floaters
or builders). There was an level set up exactly like this in you of the other
sections, where you could float down and build up from the botom so they
could fall. Unfortunately on this level you only have 4 blockers, 1 vertical
digger, 3 exploders, 5 bashers.

Any help would be appreciated.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

sheley@convex.com (John "Dumptruck" Sheley) (05/31/91)

In <18100@venera.isi.edu> schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:

>I am having a hard time figuring out Taxing level 6 in Lemmings. You start
>out on a platform in the middle of the screen with lemmings coming out four
>openings separated by pillars. There is an area you can dig in below them
>but there is metal on the bottom and right of the area you can dig in.
>You can climb down the left hand side but the "hallway" you can walk down
>has a masher that crushes the little guys. You can dig over to the edge on
>the right hand side but it is too far for them to fall (you have no floaters
>or builders). There was an level set up exactly like this in you of the other
>sections, where you could float down and build up from the botom so they
>could fall. Unfortunately on this level you only have 4 blockers, 1 vertical
>digger, 3 exploders, 5 bashers.

>Any help would be appreciated.

>			     \          /
>			      \   \    /      /
>Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
>				\   \/      /
>USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
>Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
>Plink: OSS259				\/

  It took me a while to get past this one, and I'm not sure I used the 'correct'
solution.  I had to take advantage of the property of exploding lemmings that
causes their explosions to eat into surrounding metal barriers iff the bomber
is standing on some 'diggable' flooring.

  What I did was:
  1) Start the first lemming out of the rightmost entrance bashing through
     the pillar on the right.
  2) While that's happening, stop the lemmings coming out of the leftmost
     entrance from going down all the way to the floor with a blocker.
  3) When the basher is starting to get going through the pillar, set up
     another blocker behind him.  You must, however, allow at least 1 other
     lemming (besides the basher) to the right of this blocker.
  4) Here's where it gets tricky - timing is everything.  Eventually, the
     basher will dig out enough of the widest lower portion of the pillar
     so that there will be an open space between the pillar above and where
     he is continuing to bash:

			  *******************
			  ******Pillar*******
			  *******************         V
     **                   *******************  *********
     ** WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWb     W      B *********
     **.......................................**********
      .....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      .....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

      (. is diggable, * is pillar, m is metal, b is blocker, B is basher,
       W is walker)

      At this point, immediately turn the basher into a blocker & blow him up.
  5) The walker will walk up the curve on the pillar remainder on the right.
     You'll have to be careful, because if the walker is close enough behind
     the basher before you turn him into a blocker, the walker will go on
     up before you can stop the basher.  In any event, let the walker continue
     on to the point marked by 'V' (or as close as you can possibly get him to
     the right hand edge of the pillar remainder) and turn him into a digger.
  6) You have to be careful with timing again here.  You have to let him dig
     down until there are 1 or 2 scan lines betweek him and the metal - if
     he makes it all the way to the metal, you'll have to nuke & start over.
     When he gets 1 or 2 scan lines above the metal, turn him into a blocker
     and blow him up.  You should be left with a big bite taken out of the
     right hand edge of the metal - this lowers the falling distance on the
     right hand side just enough to be non-fatal.
  7) Blow up the blocker you set in step 3.
  8) To finish, all you have to do is to start bashers tunnelling towards the
     right in each of the left 3 groups of lemmings.  Once you have your timing
     down, you might want to start these bashers up sooner so it won't be
     quite so difficult to make them dig in the proper direction - it's
     not too hard when using the 'p' key.

John Sheley
Convex Computer Corp.
sheley@convex.com
Glompharg!

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/01/91)

In article <18100@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I am having a hard time figuring out Taxing level 6 in Lemmings. You start
>out on a platform in the middle of the screen with lemmings coming out four
>openings separated by pillars. There is an area you can dig in below them
>but there is metal on the bottom and right of the area you can dig in.
>You can climb down the left hand side but the "hallway" you can walk down
>has a masher that crushes the little guys. You can dig over to the edge on
>the right hand side but it is too far for them to fall (you have no floaters
>or builders). There was an level set up exactly like this in you of the other
>sections, where you could float down and build up from the botom so they
>could fall. Unfortunately on this level you only have 4 blockers, 1 vertical
>digger, 3 exploders, 5 bashers.

Here's what you do:

1) The first lemming out on the trapdoor closes to the left side of the screen,
   let him walk and fall.  About halfway between the cliff and the leftmost
   pillar, make him block.

2) The second lemming out will hit the first one and begin walking back.  He
   will be walking toward the tunnel/masher.  Wait until he gets right under
   the beginning of the tunnel, and make him block.  It's REAL important that
   you make him block, because if you let him walk too far, the ground that
   he is on will be too thin, and when you blow him up, the other lemmings
   will fall through and die.

3) This is just a matter of luck. You gotta use the 5 bashers to set the other
   fellas free.  Once you have done that, wait for all the fellas to collect
   in the little space created by the two blockers.

4) After ALL the fellas have collected in that little space, blow up the second
   lemming out (the one blocking at the beginning of the tunnel).

5) Pray.  No, you don't have to do that. See, those masher things can only
   kill one lemming at a time.  So at most, you should only have 4 or 5 die.

6) If you have 30 or more lemmings left, you're set.  If not, you're jacked.

A VARIATION:  You can also do it this way:  Instead of using two lemmings to
block, just use one, the very first one, and wait till he gets to the begin-
ning of the tunnel.  Then follow steps 3-6.

>			     \          /
>			      \   \    /      /
>Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
>				\   \/      /
>USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
>Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
>Plink: OSS259				\/

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

ttobler@unislc.uucp (Trent Tobler) (06/04/91)

From article <18100@venera.isi.edu>, by schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur):
> I am having a hard time figuring out Taxing level 6 in Lemmings. You start
> out on a platform in the middle of the screen with lemmings coming out four
> openings separated by pillars. There is an area you can dig in below them
> but there is metal on the bottom and right of the area you can dig in.
> You can climb down the left hand side but the "hallway" you can walk down
> has a masher that crushes the little guys. You can dig over to the edge on
> the right hand side but it is too far for them to fall (you have no floaters
> or builders). There was an level set up exactly like this in you of the other
> sections, where you could float down and build up from the botom so they
> could fall. Unfortunately on this level you only have 4 blockers, 1 vertical
> digger, 3 exploders, 5 bashers.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hint:
  Mashers aren't very effective on one solid pack of lemmings.

--
   Trent Tobler - ttobler@csulx.weber.edu

soelvef@idt.unit.no (S|lve Fredheim) (06/04/91)

In article <18100@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I am having a hard time figuring out Taxing level 6 in Lemmings. You start
>out on a platform in the middle of the screen with lemmings coming out four
>openings separated by pillars. There is an area you can dig in below them
>but there is metal on the bottom and right of the area you can dig in.
>You can climb down the left hand side but the "hallway" you can walk down
>has a masher that crushes the little guys. You can dig over to the edge on
 :
 :
>Any help would be appreciated.

The trick is to "squeeze" all the lemmings together so that they don't occupy
more space than a few, preferably one, lemming(s). When they walk
under a masher only two or three are killed at a time, so you can
easily get most of them safely through the "hallway".

To accomplish this, all you have to use is one blocker and a few
bashers. After the first lemming has fallen down on the left side, make him
a blocker on the edge of one of the stones leading up to the pillar at
the left. This will not stop the other lemmings from passing the
blocker while walking to the left, but they will (naturally) be
blocked when walking to the right.

Now, use bashers to let all the other lemmings coming from the other
three openings make their way to the left. At the end, all of them are
squeezed into a narrow spot between the pillar on the left and the blocker.

Finally, blow up the blocker and amuse yourself by watching the
lemmings walk through the "hallway" under the mashers. If you have
done it right you should be able to get around 90 per cent safely over.

Good luck!
 ! S|lve Fredheim (soelvef@idt.unit.no)        !                              !
 ! Division of Computer Science and Telematics ! "Programmers do it bottom-up"!
 ! The Norwegian Institute of Technology       !                              !