[comp.sys.amiga.games] REVIEW: Kings Quest 1

ml89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (M Luscombe) (06/04/91)

In <6677@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) writes:

>I stopped by a friend's house today who had just gotten Kings Quest 1
>which has finally been released for the Amiga.

What do you mean - King's Quest 1 has been out for years.  Admittedly I
brought a compilation package with King's Quest 1, 2 and 3 in it.  Maybe
they originally only released it in the compilation and have just
brought out number 1 on it's own.

>To their credit, KQ1 IS enhanced. It is probably the best port they
>have done for the Amiga. The graphics are acceptable even though they
>still insist on emulating the garish color set of IBM EGA graphics.
>Nothing great by Amiga standards, but still better than past efforts.
>The big improvement was in SOUND. The music, while still no threat to
>most Amiga fare, was actually something you could stand to listen to
>for any amount of time. A lot of scenes had background sound effects
>to lend atmosphere to the game. In general the sound was amazing for
>being a Serria Online product.

I don't know if my version is the same one you are talking about here.
The graphics are pretty horrible - EGA standard and very basic (no where
near as nice as Gold Rush for example).  There is some sound - limited
to poor tunes when the wolf comes onto the screen but it doesn't sound
like what you are describing.  But if Serria did enhance it, surely they
would do more than that?

(As you may have guessed I don't think much of King's Quest 1 - I only
got it because it was a cheap compilation and the King's Quest series is
something of a legend - I wanted to see the first real graphic
adventure).

                        Martin.

gfm@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (06/05/91)

In article <7964@ecs.soton.ac.uk> ml89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (M Luscombe) writes:
>In <6677@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
>lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) writes:
>
>>I stopped by a friend's house today who had just gotten Kings Quest 1
>>which has finally been released for the Amiga.
>
>What do you mean - King's Quest 1 has been out for years.  Admittedly I
>brought a compilation package with King's Quest 1, 2 and 3 in it.  Maybe
>they originally only released it in the compilation and have just
>brought out number 1 on it's own.

[stuff deleted]

>I don't know if my version is the same one you are talking about here.
>The graphics are pretty horrible - EGA standard and very basic (no where
>near as nice as Gold Rush for example).  There is some sound - limited
>to poor tunes when the wolf comes onto the screen but it doesn't sound
>like what you are describing.  But if Serria did enhance it, surely they
>would do more than that?

Well to clear things up, the original poster didnt mean that Sierra enhanced Kings Quest I for amiga to begin with, so your version is different, they recently released a 'so called' Enhanced Amiga Version...I've yet to see it, So I cant make any comments about the product itself...

elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) (06/07/91)

>    Well to clear things up, the original poster didnt mean that Sierra
> enhanced Kings Quest I for amiga to begin with, so your version is
> different, they recently released a 'so called' Enhanced Amiga
> Version...I've yet to see it, So I cant make any comments about the
> product itself...
I have seen a demo (for MS-DOS) of the "new, improved" Kings Quest 1.  The
graphics (on a VGA monitor) are not Kings Quest V or Space Quest IV quality,
but are more like the Space Quest III graphics.  They are better than the
original, but are not as good as Sierra's latest.