[comp.sys.amiga.games] Great Shoot-Em-Ups

gt7230b@prism.gatech.edu (gt7230b gt7230b HALMAN,O'LESTER HARVEY III) (05/29/91)

My favorite shoot-em-up of all time on the Amiga is _Battle Squadron_.
I got it for $10 at Electronics Boutique and have also seen it for the
same price in Software Etc.  I also have _Awesome_ which I paid about $40
for and is OK but doesn't compare IMO with _Battle Squadron_.

Would another _Battle Squadron_ lover out there who knows other good
shoot-em-up titles let me know what they are?  I've heard _Silkworm_ is
good.  I'm really interested, though, to hear from others who feel as I
do, that Battle Squadron is incredible.  I love the action and the fact
that two players can play at the same time.

  ( Mark )

evermic@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mic Everts) (05/29/91)

Battle Squadron is good, but once I beat it.....Anyway some of
my favorite shoot-em-ups are Z-Out and Denaris.  Yah , I know, Denaris is
just a clone of R-Type but to me its a lot better.\

By the way, I had high hopes for White Sharks, but alas it didn't quite
live up to them.  Good graphics but no gameplay.

-MIC

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (05/31/91)

In article <9105290033.AA28947@prism.gatech.edu>, gt7230b@prism.gatech.edu (gt7230b gt7230b HALMAN,O'LESTER HARVEY III) writes:
> My favorite shoot-em-up of all time on the Amiga is _Battle Squadron_.
> I got it for $10 at Electronics Boutique and have also seen it for the
> same price in Software Etc.  I also have _Awesome_ which I paid about $40
> for and is OK but doesn't compare IMO with _Battle Squadron_.
>
> Would another _Battle Squadron_ lover out there who knows other good
> shoot-em-up titles let me know what they are?  I've heard _Silkworm_ is
> good.  I'm really interested, though, to hear from others who feel as I
> do, that Battle Squadron is incredible.  I love the action and the fact
> that two players can play at the same time.

Buy SWIV and SILKWORM, two players can play at the same time, and they are
both great, at least as good as Battle Squadron.

Other good ones:

Z-OUT (two players at the same time option provided)
DATASTORM, ANARCHY, REVENGE OF DEFENDER (defender clones, all excellent)
R-TYPE
SIMULCRA (3d shoot'em'up, original, rather unknown but excellent: very fast 3D
	 action and big levels and good features)
BLOOD MONEY (Two players at the same time)
HYBRIS
XENON 2

TURRICAN 1 and 2: you can not miss these ones if you like arcade-quality
fast action games.

WHO TRIED DEFENDER 2 BY JEFF MINTER ? IS IT GOOD ?

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (06/07/91)

In article <11560@mirsa.inria.fr>, buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) says:

>WHO TRIED DEFENDER 2 BY JEFF MINTER ? IS IT GOOD ?

No. (Well, maybe if you are a REALLY hard-core defender fan). I find
Datastorm to be MUCH better. (also much better than Anarchy and the
other one with two names...Revenge of Defender and something else).

-- Dan Babcock