[comp.sys.amiga.games] Replacements

rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) (06/07/91)

My kids have wiped out some original disks.  First off, these are ORIGINAL
disks with manuals.  Any suggestions about replacements - Dungeon Master
(EA is still around, right?), Gee Bee Air Rally (Activision), and Bionic
Commando (Capcom).  Email unless the suggestions are general.  Copy
protection is really a pain when the company goes belly up.  Thanks for
any info/suggestions.  Again these are the original, labeled disks with
manuals and boxes.  Also, what is the best suggestion on avoiding this
for their other copy-protected games.

Thanks,
Bob          rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) writes:

> My kids have wiped out some original disks. First
> off, these are ORIGINAL disks with manuals. Any
> suggestions about replacements - Dungeon Master
> (EA is still around, right?), Gee Bee Air Rally
> (Activision), and Bionic Commando (Capcom). Email
> unless the suggestions are general. Copy
> protection is really a pain when the company goes
> belly up. Thanks for any info/suggestions. Again
> these are the original, labeled disks with manuals
> and boxes.

Well, if you lost several games in succession, it could
be due to a floppy drive getting dirty or having a chipped
read head, or, more often, to a virus having penetrated
your disk supply and copying over the copy protection boot
block of the game disk.  For the former, clean your drive
with a disk cleaning kit, for the latter, teach your kids
to power down after every game, and, if you can find one,
check every single one of your disks with a virus checking
program.

> Also, what is the best suggestion on avoiding this
> for their other copy-protected games.

1) as above
2) don't use them
3) join the others who refuse to be burned again, and
   refuse to buy any more copy protected games.

Kent, the man from xanth.

rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) (06/07/91)

Well, I do clean the heads and haven't gotten a virus in a long, long while.
These games got wiped out over 5-6 month gap.  One got "jellied" or
something, so the darn problem is having to use the original.  As far as
the kids using it, my 11, 10, 8, 6, and 4 year old childen all use it.
The older kids make their own copies and know the operating system and
help the younger ones.  Only Amiga, right?

<include .std disclaimer>
Bob          rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.041228.28579@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>3) join the others who refuse to be burned again, and
>   refuse to buy any more copy protected games.
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

This hit a nerve on me because I had asked a friend of mine if Powermonger ran
under 2.0 on his 3000... he replied no. I plan to get 2.0 on my 500 when it
comes out but I bought this stupid game because I thought it looked cool from
the demonstration of it I saw in a store. <incidentally I dont play it much
because its a little kludgy to play.>

If it isnt 2.0 compatible, what is bullfrog going to do, if anything? What can
I do since my future updated 500 wont be able to run a $40 package I bought?

Incidentally Lemmings is the last game that I purchased that I bought and knew
it had copy protection. While I dont have a HD now, I plan to get one soon and
would like to keep some games on it <of course not all but that option should
not be taken away from me.> and its annoying to see IBM versions of the games
mount on HD's while the amiga versions dont <F19 stealth comes to mind.>

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

dfite@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (David W. Fite) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun8.025444.3243@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:
>This hit a nerve on me because I had asked a friend of mine if Powermonger ran
>under 2.0 on his 3000... he replied no. I plan to get 2.0 on my 500 when it
>[plans deleted]
>If it isnt 2.0 compatible, what is bullfrog going to do, if anything? What can
>I do since my future updated 500 wont be able to run a $40 package I bought?

Powermonger runs fine on my 3000.  However, you have to boot from the game disk,
and you can't save your games to a hard disk.  The game is quite cool; the
protection is quite a bitch however.  It's a close call to decide if the
fun of playing the game is worth the pain in the ass of running the game.

Later,
David II
Ruler of the NW Provinces [so far ;)]

In article <1991Jun8.071555.6441@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> dfite@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (David W. Fite) writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.025444.3243@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:
>
>Powermonger runs fine on my 3000.However, you have to boot from the game disk,
>and you can't save your games to a hard disk.  The game is quite cool; the
>protection is quite a bitch however.  It's a close call to decide if the
>fun of playing the game is worth the pain in the ass of running the game.

I knew that, i was concerned about the 2.0 fact. Does it work under 2.0?

dfite@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (David W. Fite) (06/09/91)

> PiRho voices some confusion to which I reiterate...
>In article <1991Jun8.071555.6441@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> I write:
>>Powermonger runs fine on my 3000.However, you have to boot from the game disk,
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no 2.0 (or 1.3) to really worry about.  You never see anything except
the game.  It does take about 30 seconds to finish all of its loading and it
NEVER turns off the disk light (even when it is safe to pop the disk out and/or
shutdown).  It also makes several disconcerting noises in the drive, but I have
not seen any evidence of bad effect.

Anyway, to spell out the answer to your satisfaction, I have a 3000/50MB/25MHz
machine with both the 2.0 and 1.3 partitions.  To play Powermonger, I have to
do a cold boot from the floppy game disk.  And everything then works (except
of course for the things they don't want to work, like saving games to a HD...)

>>Later,
>>David II
>>Ruler of the NW Provinces [so far ;)]
>

>PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
>"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
>Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
>Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

see above signoff :)

 rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) writes:

> These games got wiped out over 5-6 month gap.  One got "jellied" or
> something, so the darn problem is having to use the original.

As to the "jellied", that was what it looked like after a second instar
cockroach tried to take a merry-go-round ride on one of my floppies;
smeared the little sucker 1/4th of the way around the disk as a jelly.

Kent, the man from xanth.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.054904.6729@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> dfite@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (David W. Fite) writes:

>There is no 2.0 (or 1.3) to really worry about.  You never see anything except

Well there is. Its the kickstart that Im worried about. Some games dont like
2.0 kickstart <or OS if they are dos disks> and thats what I was concerned
about more than anything.

>Anyway, to spell out the answer to your satisfaction, I have a 3000/50MB/25MHz
>machine with both the 2.0 and 1.3 partitions.  To play Powermonger, I have to
>do a cold boot from the floppy game disk.  And everything then works (except
>of course for the things they don't want to work, like saving games to a HD..)

So I take it it runs fine under 2.0 KS or do you have to boot up 1.3 KS?

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun7.041228.28579@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) writes:
>
>> My kids have wiped out some original disks. First
>> off, these are ORIGINAL disks with manuals. Any
>> suggestions about replacements - Dungeon Master
>> (EA is still around, right?), Gee Bee Air Rally
>> (Activision), and Bionic Commando (Capcom). Email
>> unless the suggestions are general. Copy
>> protection is really a pain when the company goes
>> belly up. Thanks for any info/suggestions. Again
>> these are the original, labeled disks with manuals
>> and boxes.
>
>Well, if you lost several games in succession, it could
>be due to a floppy drive getting dirty or having a chipped
>read head, or, more often, to a virus having penetrated
>your disk supply and copying over the copy protection boot
>block of the game disk.  For the former, clean your drive
>with a disk cleaning kit, for the latter, teach your kids
>to power down after every game, and, if you can find one,
>check every single one of your disks with a virus checking
>program.
>
>> Also, what is the best suggestion on avoiding this
>> for their other copy-protected games.
>
>1) as above
>2) don't use them
>3) join the others who refuse to be burned again, and
>   refuse to buy any more copy protected games.
4) Sell your kids to the highest bidder.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

In article <1991Jun9.122639.16244@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

> rjtatz@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert J Tatz) writes:
>
>> These games got wiped out over 5-6 month gap.  One got "jellied" or
>> something, so the darn problem is having to use the original.
>
>As to the "jellied", that was what it looked like after a second instar
>cockroach tried to take a merry-go-round ride on one of my floppies;
>smeared the little sucker 1/4th of the way around the disk as a jelly.

I'm sorry sir, you have bugs in your software, and your hardware, and your ...

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP