[comp.sys.amiga.games] Review, SwitchBlade II

gary@ayou34.enet.dec.com (06/07/91)

A few words on a new game I picked up,

SwitchBlade II, leap, slash and blast your way through six large levels filled
with all manner of mechanical opponents, buy new weapons at the half way shop,
power, run out of ammo ? Get in close and beat the hell out them with your
sword...

SwitchBlade II is a good game, nice clear arcade quality graphics, adequate
sound, fast addictive gameplay and suitably large (The levels are big for a
game of this kind) I'm not sure just how long it would take a competent
game-player to complete but I'm sure it would last a while.

Thats really about it, jump about shoot things, but its done really well, the
graphics have a distinct Japanese feel about them (well your hero is called
Hiro) Typically several different class of weapons are available, along with
you extra men, power-up and energy restoring pick-ups, completlely un-original
but a very good game.

Thats all for now,

P.s If !Anyone! out there has got past mission 5 in The Killing Cloud !Please!
mail me.

Gary.

logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) (06/10/91)

In article <23244@shlump.lkg.dec.com> gary@ayou34.enet.dec.com () writes:
#
# SwitchBlade II is a good game, nice clear arcade quality graphics, adequate
# sound, fast addictive gameplay and suitably large (The levels are big for a
# game of this kind) I'm not sure just how long it would take a competent
# game-player to complete but I'm sure it would last a while.
#

Does anyone know if it will run from a hard drive?  What kind of
copy-protection does it use?

A good game isn't good enough anymore -- I am boycotting all
games that will not install on my hard disk.  I would like to
see more people do the same!

--
Jim Logan                Home: logan%gimlet@uunet.uu.net
Consultant               Work: logan@netx.com

gary@ayou34.enet.dec.com (06/11/91)

Sorry cant comment on HD installability (sp.) cause I dont have one, disk based copy prot
though...

Gary

buffa@krakatoa.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/13/91)

In article <449@netxcom.netx.com>, logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) writes:
> In article <23244@shlump.lkg.dec.com> gary@ayou34.enet.dec.com () writes:
> #
> # SwitchBlade II is a good game, nice clear arcade quality graphics, adequate
> # sound, fast addictive gameplay and suitably large (The levels are big for a
> # game of this kind) I'm not sure just how long it would take a competent
> # game-player to complete but I'm sure it would last a while.
> #
>
> Does anyone know if it will run from a hard drive?  What kind of
> copy-protection does it use?
>
> A good game isn't good enough anymore -- I am boycotting all
> games that will not install on my hard disk.  I would like to
> see more people do the same!

No, it is not a game for your machine.It is copy protected and has custom disk
routines.  I much prefer fast boot with custom disk
routines and a game that uses my single amiga to its max, than a badly written
game that run on a 3000 and is hd installable, that will satisfy only a few
rich persons.

Of course I would like switchblade II to be HD installable and not copy
protected, but I also want it to boot quickly from my floppy. I want both !!!
I have an HD, but it is impossible to put all games on it, furthermore, the
only games I saw that were HD installable were awful. Poor IBM ports. I have
no games on my HD except of SHANGAI and SOLITAIRE ROYALE (and a PD tetris somewhere).

Look: who loved Stellar 7 and Chuck Yeager's flight Sim ? A3000 owners or
owners of an accelerated amiga with a HD. The others hated these games because
they were soooooo slooooooow and a real pain to load.

I talked about that earlier, but the danger with the IBM market example is
that programmers will stop programming very optimized code in assembler, and
will take it easy because if their game is too slow, the customers just will
have to buy a more powerful accelerator card.

IBM is the bad example. IBM games stinks.

When I play games, I dream about my Amiga being a NINTENDO! There is no HD on
Nintendos, and better games than on IBMs.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65