[comp.sys.amiga.games] Moonbase - How is it?

lee@nova.npac.syr.edu (Lee C Brink) (06/12/91)

  I just saw a new game called Moonbase, where you try to build & manage
a colony on the moon until it becomes independent (So the cover says).
  Has anyone tried this game, and if so how is it?

       Lee

fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.114007.4881@rodan.acs.syr.edu> lee@nova.npac.syr.edu (Lee C Brink) writes:

>  I just saw a new game called Moonbase, where you try to build & manage
>a colony on the moon until it becomes independent (So the cover says).
>  Has anyone tried this game, and if so how is it?
>
>       Lee
TINAR

	The game is pretty simple and has very few variations.  Basically
you have a wide variety of equipment to buy, each of which has a benefit
to cost ratio.  Early in the Sim you buy the cheap stuff because that is
what you can afford.  Later you buy the expensive stuff because it is
more efficient.  I found it quite easy to create a successful moonbase
even without discovering water in one of the craters.
	It takes a couple of runs through to figure out what things should
be build and in what order to give you the best chance at success, but
basically once you have figured out the 'rules' there is very little
challenge left.
	Unlike 'SimCity', 'Moonbase' doesn't include scenario files.
Disasters are random, and typically involve the devaluation of one or
more of your services on the moon.  However, the game is hard-disk
installable.  I think it also had some copy protection, but I really
don't remember (that is the first thing I change in a program if I can
find it.)

--
                           -F. Sullivan Segall
 _