[comp.sys.amiga.games] Major PowerMonger Bugs.

seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) (06/12/91)

Well, I have had powermonger for a while now. And one of my friends just
got what appears to be the final victory screen - a little thing about
"Now at last I rule the world." He has taken less than half of the world.
Apparently, you see, when you take the lower right hand sector of the world,
you have won. No, it's not even bothering to keep track of whether or not
you've taken all of them.

However, the bugs we have noted are:
1] Apparently men periodically turn brown and stop moving. After this has
happened, they seem not to exist... They also sometimes have sheep with
them. ;-) (And, of course, the same thing happens to the sheep.)

2] On the last world, every so often your food will drop suddenly to zero,
and there will be a blue flash on the title bar, after which many of your
men will desert. And, immediately after this, you get some large quantity
of your food back - or possibly more, leading to...

3] Periodically, you somehow end up with 27,000 or more food - with no clear
indication of where the last, oh, say, 25,000 of that came from. This peaks
around 32,000.

All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
to write a rather nasty letter to EOA...

ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
for?

--SeebS--
--
Peter Seebach - The Laughing Prophet     |     |        Anonymous Posting Here!
I don't speak for St. Olaf, St. Olaf     |     |           seebs@acc.stolaf.edu

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (06/12/91)

By all means write to EOA about the bugs BUT I wouldn't mention the fact
that the world ends when you reach the bottom right of the world map
even though you haven't taken all the "regions" since this is NOT a
bug; if you read the manual this becomes apparent; the objective is
stated as being simply to reach the bottom right hand side.

Apparently there are some unusual effects to be found in the game; did
you come across anything unusual (not bugs... just peculiarities
that are coded in)... apparently something happens if you manage to
wipe out all the trees in a land... also I think I remember reading that
it's possible to win the top right world solely from within the water!

				Jamie.

fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) (06/13/91)

>All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
>and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
>to write a rather nasty letter to EOA...
>
>ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
>for?

EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
running through the geometric shapes.

--
                           -F. Sullivan Segall
 _

K50CC@CUNYVM.BITNET (06/13/91)

Funny,I haven't had any of those problems on my copy.Also,whendid they decide
to call themselves EOA?I still remember their name as ECA (EleCtronic Arts).
Later.
KLAZAR

zuckerma@aludra.usc.edu (David Zuckerman) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.195452.15456@netcom.COM> fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) writes:
>>All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
>>and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
>>to write a rather nasty letter to EOA...
>>
>>ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
>>for?
>>
>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>running through the geometric shapes.

>Funny,I haven't had any of those problems on my copy.Also,whendid they decide
>to call themselves EOA?I still remember their name as ECA (EleCtronic Arts).
>Later.
>KLAZAR

Actually, I've always referred to them as EA.  Nice and simple, and IT MAKES
SENSE (none of this "C" or "O" stuff in the center of the acronym).

If you remember waaay back to EA's first Amiga ad (the 2 page spread
annoucing why Trip Hawkins (snicker) & company were committed (hehe) to the
Amiga), there were three blocks on Trip's desk: a cube, a sphere, and a
pyramid -- further proof of the 3 shapes mentioned above used in the
company's name.  In fact, on some European EA boxes that I've seen, the
letters E, O, and A in ELECTRONIC ARTS are replaced by a square, circle,
and triangle.  Thus the EOA moniker.

Personally, though, any references to Electronic Arts as ECA or EOA really
bugs me.  I don't know why, except possibly that it's quite illogical without
knowledge of the company's logo, but it does.  There.  I got it off my chest.
I feel lots better now. :)

>--
>                           -F. Sullivan Segall
> _
>/V\  E-Credibility:  (n -- ME) The unguaranteed likelyhood that
> '   the electronic mail you are reading is genuine rather than
>someone's made up crap.
>Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!fletcher or
>         fletcher@cup.portal.com
>         fletcher@netcom.com

-Dave
--
David Zuckerman          | "There's nothing wrong with my sense | Exercise   //
zuckerma@aludra.usc.edu  |  of reality.  I have it thoroughly   | good   \\ //

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.195452.15456@netcom.COM> fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) writes:
>[...]
>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>running through the geometric shapes.

Hmmm, is that anything like pounding a round peg into a square hole using
the claw-end of a hammer?  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

In article <17815@chaph.usc.edu> zuckerma@aludra.usc.edu (David Zuckerman) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.195452.15456@netcom.COM> fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) writes:
>>>
>>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>>running through the geometric shapes.
>
>If you remember waaay back to EA's first Amiga ad (the 2 page spread
>annoucing why Trip Hawkins (snicker) & company were committed (hehe) to the
>Amiga), there were three blocks on Trip's desk: a cube, a sphere, and a
>pyramid -- further proof of the 3 shapes mentioned above used in the
>company's name.

But it's funny that also other companies are using this cube/sphere/pyramid
logo:
1. The TV station RTL here uses it in a 3D animation to introduce its
   commercials.
2. When they had the roll-out of the latest Mercedes (or was it BMW?)
   car, they had decorated the stage with these triplet symbol.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.024533.18201@news.stolaf.edu> seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) writes:

| ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
| for?

I am guilty of using EOA when it is more proper to say EA. The initals
are EA because the name is Electronic Arts. The O, or more properly
addressed as the Sphere, in their logo has little to do with their
name. It's supposed to represent the Nerf Ball that they used to play
with in the offices. (True story)

Laurana

--
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |