[comp.sys.amiga.games] Psygnosis Missing The Boat?

hoffmann@acl.kodak.com (marty hoffmann) (06/03/91)

I just read in the latest issue of .Info that Psygnosis is releasing
their hard disk installable version of Lemmings.  Unfortunately it
is key disk protected, so you need to insert the first floppy disk,
each time you run it.  According to the magazine, Psygnosis claims
that they didn't want to use key disk protection, but it was the
fastest way to get this version released (oh, brother).

IMHO Psygnosis has missed the boat.  I would have gladly purchased
the upgrade, even if it resorted to manual look-up or code-wheel
protection.  I would have bought it, even though I have already
finished Lemmings.  But I won't buy it now.

Anyone who is ready to accuse me of being a pirate -- don't bother.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Anyone who is ready to praise Psygnosis for taking this step --
give me a break.

If I were paranoid, I would say Psygnosis did this key disk protection
thing on purpose, so no one will buy the hard disk installable Lemmings
and they can claim that hard disk installability (if that's a word)
is not something that people really want.  That's if I were paranoid.

As it is, I will conclude that old habits die hard and Psygnosis just
couldn't take the step away from on-disk copy protection.  Nice try
Psygnosis -- too bad.

MRH

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
| Martin R Hoffmann        | Opinions expressed above are |

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.115402.22740@ssd.kodak.com> hoffmann@acl.kodak.com (marty hoffmann) writes:

>If I were paranoid, I would say Psygnosis did this key disk protection
>thing on purpose, so no one will buy the hard disk installable Lemmings
>and they can claim that hard disk installability (if that's a word)
>is not something that people really want.  That's if I were paranoid.

You might have missed it, but a few months back there was a big thread
on this newsgroup blasting Psygnosis for their lack of HD support. A
good friend of mine was part of that thread and the end result was
that several people frm Psygnosis saw it, replied, and agreed to
produce a Hard Drive installable version of Lemmings. It was a major
victory among the masses.

The key disk protection issue doesn't bother me. The version of
Lemmings for the PC is HD installable and also requires Key Disk
protection. I don't mind Key Disk protection as long as I can install
it on my HD although I prefer Manual Word lookup if any protection is
going to be used.

It took Psygnosis a while to figure out that there were people in the
world with more than 512K RAM and one internal floppy let alone hard
drives so this is a good first step. Kudos to Psygnosis for at least
trying to please all the people even though some refuse to compromise.

Kudos also to Electronic Arts who's latest ports show a better attempt
at decent coding and also support the HD.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

Laurana.Bailey@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Laurana Bailey) (06/05/91)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun3.115402.22740@ssd.kodak.com> hoffmann@acl.kodak.com (marty hoffmann) writes:

>I just read in the latest issue of .Info that Psygnosis is releasing
>their hard disk installable version of Lemmings.  Unfortunately it
>is key disk protected, so you need to insert the first floppy disk,
>each time you run it.  According to the magazine, Psygnosis claims
>that they didn't want to use key disk protection, but it was the
>fastest way to get this version released (oh, brother).
>
>IMHO Psygnosis has missed the boat.  I would have gladly purchased
>the upgrade, even if it resorted to manual look-up or code-wheel
>protection.  I would have bought it, even though I have already
>finished Lemmings.  But I won't buy it now.
>
>Anyone who is ready to accuse me of being a pirate -- don't bother.
>You don't know what you are talking about.
>
>Anyone who is ready to praise Psygnosis for taking this step --
>give me a break.
>
>If I were paranoid, I would say Psygnosis did this key disk protection
>thing on purpose, so no one will buy the hard disk installable Lemmings
>and they can claim that hard disk installability (if that's a word)
>is not something that people really want.  That's if I were paranoid.
>
>As it is, I will conclude that old habits die hard and Psygnosis just
>couldn't take the step away from on-disk copy protection.  Nice try
>Psygnosis -- too bad.

In actuality, it probably is faster to have the people who do their bulk
copy throw a keydisk program on every disk.  This would cost them about
25 cents per copy.  It would take them a while longer to write and debug
a manual lookup or codewheel routine.

I'm not defending them, I don't like copy protection at all.  Most IBM games
coming out these days are hard disk installable with no copy protection.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) (06/14/91)

In article <676362044.25@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Laurana.Bailey@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Laurana Bailey) writes:

>Kudos also to Electronic Arts who's latest ports show a better attempt
>at decent coding and also support the HD.

What are some of the latest EA Ports ? I was severely disappointed with BT3 and haven't
kept up since.

>--
>/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
>|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |
>|                               | on the world...and you thought things|
>|lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | couldn't get any worse.              |

Thanks

Atul

.sig

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.145749.11553@cadence.com> atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) writes:
>In article <676362044.25@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Laurana.Bailey@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Laurana Bailey) writes:
>>
>>Kudos also to Electronic Arts who's latest ports show a better attempt
>>at decent coding and also support the HD.
>
>What are some of the latest EA Ports ? I was severely disappointed with BT3 and haven't
>kept up since.

Well, BT3 is kind of lame on the Commodore 64, too.  It wasn't done by the
same guy who did BT1 (and BT2, I think), even though it was done by his
company for EA.  Too bad...

Oh well, I should talk.  I still have to finish BT1...

And...anyone with some hints on how to kill  Neuromancer and what Hemlock1.0
is for?

-corey lawson
alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu