[comp.sys.amiga.games] The Real Reason Why...

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/07/91)

Let's get to the real reason why Psygnosis continues to keep that strangle
hold on our disk drives.  They're afraid of piracy, so much so that they
will lose their honest customers through their crappy copy protection.

Awesome (which I returned many many moons ago) refuses to work on my computer
because of the copy protection.  And everyone knows how bad the drives gronk
when loading up the Killing Game Show.  And this minor "victory" they call
themselves achieving is only put out by this "key disk" thing.

Now I ain't a pirate, but I know a few, and they are just like regular car
thieves.  If they want it, they will have it unless you shoot them.  Psygnosis
will come up with a new way to strain our drives to death, and some pirate will
come along and pull some strings and bam-there goes another copy protection
scheme.

I say Psygnosis needs to quit fuckin around and get with the program, and start
worrying about their HONEST customers, which far outnumber their dishonest
ones.  Before they go broke over this shit, like.

Just my $67 minus $66.98 rebate with no tax.

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

tpehrson@javelin.sim.es.com (Tim Clinkenpeel) (06/07/91)

futhermore, all these games with suprotection have been cracked and distributed
in the pirate world.

a little bird told me.  a little parrot, that is.

--
/=============================/ "1:1 And, yea, Jesus was not quite dead and did
/ tpehrson@javelin.sim.es.com /  commeth down with a wailing and a gnashing of

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/07/91)

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:
>Let's get to the real reason why Psygnosis continues to keep that strangle
>hold on our disk drives.  They're afraid of piracy, so much so that they
>will lose their honest customers through their crappy copy protection.

Hum, if someone coded the protection, someone can break it out...

>Awesome (which I returned many many moons ago) refuses to work on my computer
>because of the copy protection.  And everyone knows how bad the drives gronk
>when loading up the Killing Game Show.  And this minor "victory" they call
>themselves achieving is only put out by this "key disk" thing.

I bought SimCity 1.1, oh geeze, a year ago or so, it had key disk protection
on it, thing would bring down my BBS every 2 or 3 loads of the game, I guess
because it didn't pass the key disk protection to its liking...My sister
recently purchased a graphics disk for it, and it patched itself with manual
protection. I love that manual protection, if it fails it doesn't bring down a
multi-port system running UUCP and a possiable R/W error on the HD..Why can't
others do this? SimCity really multi-tasks well...Have it running now
actually...and as a rule, I don't play games...My sister does...

I will avoid KeyDisk protection now that I know better...SimCity proved it was
bad, and they fixed their mistake...

>Now I ain't a pirate, but I know a few, and they are just like regular car
>thieves.  If they want it, they will have it unless you shoot them.  Psygnosis
>will come up with a new way to strain our drives to death, and some pirate wil
>come along and pull some strings and bam-there goes another copy protection
>scheme.

Noone has built a better mousetrap yet on copy protection...If someone does,
they wll be rich...

>I say Psygnosis needs to quit fuckin around and get with the program, and star
>worrying about their HONEST customers, which far outnumber their dishonest
>ones.  Before they go broke over this shit, like.

What they need to do is to start direct marketing via BBS's...Then system
operators will have an interest in preventing piracy, because it will be their
bottom line...This would really flip pirates up side down...Software Companies
could make crippled evaluation versions, that people can download to "try
before they buy." It would probably drive down costs to the end user, no store
front to pay for, direct marketing, lower advertising costs, etc...Let
capitalism work for you...If the demo sucks, no one buys the game...I wonder
if anyone is interested in trying this in a test market...

Ron

-- C-UseNet V0.42d
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
            DISCLAIMER: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (06/08/91)

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:

> Let's get to the real reason why Psygnosis continues to keep that strangle
> hold on our disk drives.  They're afraid of piracy, so much so that they
> will lose their honest customers through their crappy copy protection.

The funny thing is that their anti-piracy protection just pisses off
the real owners - I have seen every Psygnosis game ever written on the
pirate circuit.

A few months ago I bought Indianapolis 500, and there's some annoying
manual protection. Recently I got a pirated copy as well, which didn't
have the protection. Guess who got screwed?

   Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)  sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz
   Ph. +64-4-796306 (voice)      "You ain't nothin' but a Hound Dog."
       With this much posting, I must be a Post, Post Modern Man.

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/10/91)

I'm really fed-up with this endless discussion against Psygnosis. Ok,
Psygnosis games have defaults, but OCEAN games, Raibow Arts games, Midscape
Games, Mirrorsoft games, almost all company games have copy protection, and
Psygnosis is one of the rare company that produces good games like Lemmings.
Why do you always flame Psygnosis ?

Try US GOLD. They NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER made a good game. They
are only investing money on advertising campaign and sell a lot of insulting
games. Why don't you flame US GOLD.

In the past, I bought Thunder Blade, I bought Forgotten World, and these games
were really really bad, not because of the copy protection, they were just
very bad. Since then, I played sometimes cracked copies of US gold games and
never saw any improvement. Why would I buy one game from them ?

If you don't like Psygnosis, don't buy their games, but if you want to flame
somebody, there are a lot of worse game company than Psygnosis. I must admit
that I LOVED many Psygnosis games, and don't care much with the copy
protection if the game is really good.

Ok, now, let's flame US GOLD. What bad games from them have you played ?

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

mcgowen@saturn.ucsc.edu (Richard McGowen) (06/11/91)

It would be hard for most of us to post which US Gold games we had played that
were awful, because they are also quite forgettable.
--
Richard McGowen

"Men can't deal with commitment.  They're afraid they'll get married and then
meet the woman of their dreams at the reception."   --Carrie Snow

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (06/11/91)

Rumor has it that they bought the rights to Sonic the Hedgehog
(Genesis).  And if they do a bang up job on that, they can rot in hell
for the rest of their frail and miserable lives.  I can't believe that
they make money off of the crap they put out.  But Sonic is one of the
best games I've seen out in a long time, and if someone like Psygnosis
were to do it, it would look great.  But knowing that US gold can't
program worth their weight in rubber chickens and dildoes, I think
that they'll do a bang up job, and applaud themselves for their
insight.

Does anyone know of a game that is actually GOOD that is done by US
Gold?  Strider I sucked big time, way too slow.  But it's about the
only one I've really played...

Greg

--
All opinions are my own, and not those of my employer.
Why?  He doesn't know I'm doing this.

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (06/12/91)

In article <11715@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:

>I'm really fed-up with this endless discussion against Psygnosis.
>
>Try US GOLD. They NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER made a good game. They
>are only investing money on advertising campaign and sell a lot of insulting
>games. Why don't you flame US GOLD.

The only US Gold game I have is "Their Finest Hour".  It is (IMHO) the best
game I have bought, the only one I feel is actually worth the price.  (You
may like it, or you may not.  I do.)

"Their Finest Hour" has no copy protection, other than a "code wheel".  This
is basically a form of look-up protection.  The discs themselves are totally
unprotected.  Not only can you make a back-up, the manual advises you to do
so.  Not only can the game be installed on hard drive, you are given clear
instructions on how to do so.

Contrast this with the Psygnosis approach.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/12/91)

I think the reason that people Flame Psygnosis over companies like US
GOLD is because they've given up on US GOLD. No one this side of
sainity and/or a reviewer of games for Amiga Whirled ever pays
attention to anything US GOLD puts out. (One review at AW liked OUT
RUN which was one of the WORST ports I have ever tried to stomache)

Psygnosis, on the other hand, puts out some great games. These gripes
people have are really small when you think about it, but they are
things that hold back Lemmings from being PERFECT. Lemmings is a GREAT
game, but it isn't PERFECT. Same with some of their other stuff. When
you have something almost perfect you tend to complain more loudly
than when you have something thats awful.

I really don't understand how US GOLD stays in business with as cruddy
of ports as they put out.

I want to see more ports by Special F/X. They did ROBOCOP 2 and I was
very happy with that.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) (06/13/91)

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:

>The only US Gold game I have is "Their Finest Hour".  It is (IMHO) the best
>game I have bought, the only one I feel is actually worth the price.  (You
>may like it, or you may not.  I do.)

"Their Finest Hour" is by LucasFilm, not US Gold.

--

	Dave Witzany
	(witzany@sparc1.isgs.uiuc.edu)

logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) (06/13/91)

In article <11715@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
# I'm really fed-up with this endless discussion against Psygnosis. Ok,
# Psygnosis games have defaults, but OCEAN games, Raibow Arts games, Midscape
# Games, Mirrorsoft games, almost all company games have copy protection, and
# Psygnosis is one of the rare company that produces good games like Lemmings.
# Why do you always flame Psygnosis ?

I don't hear anyone recommending those games, so I wouldn't buy
them anyway.  When I hear, "Lemmings is the most awesome game
I've ever seen!", and I go out and buy the game and then find out
I have to run it from floppy, that bothers me!

Some other bad-game manufacturers don't bother me at all.  Their
games are cruddy and I am not even interested.  On the other hand
I haven't seen a bad Psygnosis game yet (with the exception of
playability in SoB II).

The company that I don't have ANY problem with is Accolade.  I
own Star Control, it's an awesome game, and it runs from my hard
drive.  I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of their games because
I have not had a bad experience with them.  I WOULD hesitate to
buy another Psygnosis game, despite the awesome graphics and
sound, because I cannot use their games on my hard drive.

			-Jim
--
Jim Logan                Home: logan@gimlet.cntv.va.us
Consultant               Work: logan@netx.com

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson) (06/14/91)

US Gold probably stays in business because most of their market is probably
people under the age of, say, 16.  No, maybe 12.  People who don't think much
about things such as  real usability, etc.  If they can play it and show it
off to their friends, then the game is "good".

-corey lawson

(Oh...I sort of used to be like that, but then I got a credit card)

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/14/91)

In article <12980@uwm.edu>, gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:
> Rumor has it that they bought the rights to Sonic the Hedgehog
> (Genesis).  And if they do a bang up job on that, they can rot in hell
> for the rest of their frail and miserable lives.  I can't believe that
> they make money off of the crap they put out.  But Sonic is one of the
> best games I've seen out in a long time, and if someone like Psygnosis
> were to do it, it would look great.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that people from PROBE SOFTWARE (very bad company
that works for US GOLD) are doing the port. This would mean another bad US
GOLD game. I'm dreaming about a port od Sonic... by Psygnosis, with the
original playability please !

 But knowing that US gold can't
> program worth their weight in rubber chickens and dildoes, I think
> that they'll do a bang up job, and applaud themselves for their
> insight.

I'm not expecting anything good from them. They made so many bad games.

> Does anyone know of a game that is actually GOOD that is done by US
> Gold?  Strider I sucked big time, way too slow.  But it's about the
> only one I've really played...

I loved Strider in the arcades, and was really disappoionted when I tried
their Amiga port (by Tiertex, another bad company that works for Us Gold). The
only game I found playable is Shadow Dancers. But its graphics, sound effects,
presentation, everything is ugly. The best game from Us Gold is not a good
game, just an average game !!!!!!!!!

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (06/15/91)

In article <3209@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
> In article <11715@mirsa.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
> >
> >I'm really fed-up with this endless discussion against Psygnosis.
> >
> >Try US GOLD. They NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER made a good game. They
> >are only investing money on advertising campaign and sell a lot of insulting
> >games. Why don't you flame US GOLD.
>
> The only US Gold game I have is "Their Finest Hour".  It is (IMHO) the best
> game I have bought, the only one I feel is actually worth the price.  (You
> may like it, or you may not.  I do.)

Actually, THEIR FINEST HOUR was developed by Lucasfilms and distributed by
US Gold in the UK. Lucasfilms puts a lot into gameplay and development.

I know that US Gold produces products themselves also, but can not comment
on these titles.

>  Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

buffa@flottante.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/17/91)

In article <3209@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:

> The only US Gold game I have is "Their Finest Hour".  It is (IMHO) the best
> game I have bought, the only one I feel is actually worth the price.  (You
> may like it, or you may not.  I do.)

Their Finest Hour is a game by Lucasfilm Games, which is an excellent company.
Maybe US GOLD is the distributor of this game, but they haven't been involved
in this game creation at all. It is a 100% LucasFilm game. US GOLD is also the
distributor of Raibow Arts in some countries. That doesn't mean that they make
good games, but all the games they bought the rights for are bad, at least the
ones I tried like Strider, Rotox... The only one I liked is Shadow Dancers,
but it is just average" good playability but ugly graphics and sounds.