[comp.sys.amiga.games] Rick Dangerous

knot@contact.uucp (Knot) (08/28/90)

Anyone here remember Rick Dangerous?  Well this game really has me hooked
but I can't find a way through the following room near (I hope!) the end of
Egypt.  I've been stymied here for a while so if anybody can help, please
E-mail me!

Thanks in advance.

                      Enter

  Spikes           |    ||   |            Spikes
 __________________|    ||   |__________________________
| ||||||               \||/          |||||||||||||||||| |
|                       \/                              |
|                                                       |
|                  ___________     Spikes               |
|                 |          |----                      |
|           ______|          |----                   >> |
|          |_|__|____________| |__|                  >>>|
|            |__|              |__|                     |__
|            |__|              |__|       Enemy _
|            |__|              |__|            |_>   ----\   Exit
|            |__|              |__|            -|-   ----/
|            |__|              |__|        ____/_\_________
|            |__|              |__|       |
|            |__|              |__|       |   |<------>|
|____________|__|______________|__|_|||||_|    Movement

                                    Spikes
An attack may lack ingenuity, but it must be delivered with supernatural speed.
knot@contact.UUCP   |||   uunet!(utgpu!moore,attcan!telly)!becker!contact!knot

hoffmann@acl.kodak.com (marty hoffmann) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.092407.27666@hollie.rdg.dec.com>
jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) writes:
>[...] I also think that Rick Dangerous I is a very good game too,
>though it's not really similar to either GG or Prehistorik (so what it's
>doing here, I don't know!). However, I thought that Rick Dangerous II
>was really poor. I'd expected something better than RD1 but it never
>happened; the graphics were a step backward and I felt the gameplay was
>not as good. Now if they'd have made RDII to be as significantly better
>than RDI as Switchblade 2 was to SB1 then it'd have been a winner.

I have to disagree.  Although RDII was not much of a step forward from
RDI, it was certainly not a step backward.  I think the graphics were
just as good as RDI, and the game play was slightly improved.

The sliding grenades were an excellent replacement for the dynamite.
The rocket sleds were a great idea too -- unfortunately, they aren't
used enough in the game.

I much prefer the forest world of RDII to the Nazi castle of RDI.  There
are three or four separate ways to complete the forest world, compared
to the Schwarzdumpf castle, which is just a somewhat confusing maze.

I tend to look at RDII as just a set of extra levels for RDI, so I guess
I didn't expect it to be significantly better.

							MRH
--
| Martin R Hoffmann        | Opinions expressed above are |