[comp.sys.amiga.games] Das Boat

bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Neal) (06/16/91)

Hello,
	Does anyone have any comments on the game Das Boat?  The box
said it ran on _any_ Amiga and was HD installable.  I haven't played
a decent submarine game since Silent Service on my C-64 years ago.
So is this one any good?

Thanks,
	Brian

scheubel@forwiss.uni-passau.de (Christian Scheubel) (06/17/91)

bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Neal) writes:

>Hello,
>	Does anyone have any comments on the game Das Boat?  The box
>said it ran on _any_ Amiga and was HD installable.  I haven't played
>a decent submarine game since Silent Service on my C-64 years ago.
>So is this one any good?

>Thanks,
>	Brian

Hi Brian,
I think that Das Boot (it's a german booktitle) is one of the worst sub sim's I've ever seen for an AMIGA. I suppose it's originally made for an IBM like machine. I enjoyed Silent Service and 688 Sub Attack much more than Das Boot.

The handling is not so convincing and the pictures (which are well made) are not giving as good information as the pictures of the other games (sorry, simulations) do.

Let me read, what you decided to get.

C.S.

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (06/17/91)

In article <6507@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Neal) writes:
>Hello,
>	Does anyone have any comments on the game Das Boat?  The box
>said it ran on _any_ Amiga and was HD installable.  I haven't played
>a decent submarine game since Silent Service on my C-64 years ago.
>So is this one any good?
>
>Thanks,
>	Brian

Well, Das Boot does run on any Amiga, I have it on an A3000 under 2.0. runs
fine.

Now, as to the game itself. I don't like it, now there may be others out
there that think that it is great but I am not one of them.

Features that I liked:

The Radio room, you can send messages to U-Boat HQ, you get orders from them.
This all gives you the feel that you are a U-Boat captain.

Torpedo room, you can select from looping torps, acoustic torps and magnetic
torps.

Graphics are great, on an 030 this stuff is beautiful.

Features I didn't like:

Although you can set marks like they really did, your torps are not programmed.
so you have to lead your target to get a hit. Sorry, in real life you got your
first mark then dropped your scope, then you got your second mark, dropped
your scope, did some geometry figured out your enemies course and speed, set
your torps and fired. Then you waited until you hit or missed.

360's treatment is that of the old sub arcade games, not as a simulation.

Anti-aircraft, you spend a lot of time getting attacked from the air. Get
good at this or you won't last long. In real life you had men that were
trained in shooting down planes, the captain should have to.

The deck gun, same as above.

SUB vs SUB combat, come on, about the only time one sub sank another in
WWII was if one found the other one on the surface. This just didn't happen
in WWII subs, they could not do that because U-Boats did not have ASDIC, to
my knowledge, just hydrophones.

This game had a good premise, getting orders from U-Boat headquarters, which
are encoded, you can also try to decode enemy transmissions. But the game
turns out to be just a bunch of Arcade Games tied together. To bad I really
wanted to like this game. BTW, you get the book DAS BOOT, in the box, I had
read this book years ago when it first came out in paper back, great book.

Buy the book and Rent the Video, both the german and Dubbed versions are
excellent. Skip the game, unless you like arcade stuff with little strategy.

If you want an excellent sub game, get Red Storm Rising, it IS the MODERN SUB
SIMULATION.

There is another game out there, Wolfpack, I know nothing about it,
maybe someone out there does.

Greg
Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
 "By the way, don't eat the figs." - Livia to Tiberius after the death of
                        Augustus - I, Claudius PBS