[comp.sys.amiga.games] REVIEW : Prehistorik

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (06/12/91)

Review
======

Prehistorik by Titus Software.
==============================

This is the game that has been hailed by some as being the game to push
the Mario Brothers off of their throne as the best platform scroller
around. I guess first thing's first; I'll dispell that myth; Mario
Brothers is still by far the best game of its kind. The Great Giana sisters came close but Prehistorik isn't even in the running.

However, as a game in it's own right it's superb. In the game you
control a hungry neanderthal who has set off in search of food. To
do this you roam across a prehistoric landscap bopping dinosaurs on the
head and rummaging in their caves for whatever will satisfy your hunger.
The scrolling is screen by screen and the graphics are VERY well done.
At the end of each level there is the usual end of level guardian. In
the case of Prehistorik, some of these are exceptionally large! In
particular a fellow neanderthal you come up against is about ten times
your size and with brain cells in directly inverse proportions!

There are many levels and supposedly 150 screens in total. Every screen
is drawn with great care and meticulous detail and it's really this
presentation that sets it apart from many other games in this genre.
There are several levels including "the virgin icefields of Antarctica",
"the lush jungles of the tropics", and "the mysterious caverns of the
shady continent"!

I thoroughly recommend this game if you enjoy this type of thing. It's
very well done and incredibly addictive.

I run a 1 meg A500 with just floppies so I don't know if any other
machines would have a problem running this game. Regardless, the game
is excellent for the system I run it on.

				Jamie.

9035893@ul.ie (David Knowles) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.101850.1283@hollie.rdg.dec.com>, jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) writes:
> Prehistorik by Titus Software.
> ==============================
> This is the game that has been hailed by some as being the game to push
> the Mario Brothers off of their throne as the best platform scroller
> around. I guess first thing's first; I'll dispell that myth; Mario
> Brothers is still by far the best game of its kind. The Great Giana sisters
> came close but Prehistorik isn't even in the running.

Whaaaaaaaaat????
What about Rick Dangerous I and II??
I played GG Sisters and found it way too easy, there was no challenge whatsoever
the gameplay was monotonous and the game really just too easy.
What ever about Mario brothers, GG sisters is crap.

   //                               ___  .                           \\
  //  David Knowles,               /   \ |                            \\
 //  9035893@itd1.ul.ie,          |      |_   __  ___  ___  __  __     \\
 \\   University of Limerick,     |      | \ /  \|   ||   ||--'|  \    //
  \\   Ireland.                    \___/ |  )\__/|__/ |__/ |__.|      //
   \\     Disclaimer: this was dictated.         |    |              //
    =============================================|====|===============

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (06/17/91)

In article <17687.28592fca@ul.ie>, 9035893@ul.ie (David Knowles)
writes:
>From: 9035893@ul.ie (David Knowles)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games
>Subject: Re: REVIEW : Prehistorik
>Date: 14 Jun 91 21:06:17 GMT
>
>In article <1991Jun12.101850.1283@hollie.rdg.dec.com>,
>jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) writes:
>> Prehistorik by Titus Software.
>> ==============================
>> This is the game that has been hailed by some as being the game to
>push
>> the Mario Brothers off of their throne as the best platform scroller
>> around. I guess first thing's first; I'll dispell that myth; Mario
>> Brothers is still by far the best game of its kind. The Great Giana
>sisters
>> came close but Prehistorik isn't even in the running.
>
>Whaaaaaaaaat????
>What about Rick Dangerous I and II??
>I played GG Sisters and found it way too easy, there was no challenge
>whatsoever
>the gameplay was monotonous and the game really just too easy.
>What ever about Mario brothers, GG sisters is crap.
>
>    ==================================================================
>>   //                               ___  .
>\\
>  //  David Knowles,               /   \ |
>\\
> //  9035893@itd1.ul.ie,          |      |_   __  ___  ___  __  __
>\\
> \\   University of Limerick,     |      | \ /  \|   ||   ||--'|  \
>//
>  \\   Ireland.                    \___/ |  )\__/|__/ |__/ |__.|
>//
>   \\     Disclaimer: this was dictated.         |    |              //
>>    =============================================|====|===============

You're talking out the wrong end, David! GG is a great game. Thoroughly
addictive. I also think that Rick Dangerous I is a very good game too,
though it's not really similar to either GG or Prehistorik (so what it's
doing here, I don't know!). However, I thought that Rick Dangerous II
was really poor. I'd expected something better than RD1 but it never
happened; the graphics were a step backward and I felt the gameplay was
not as good. Now if they'd have made RDII to be as significantly better
than RDI as Switchblade 2 was to SB1 then it'd have been a winner.

				Jamie.

buffa@flottante.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (06/19/91)

In article <17687.28592fca@ul.ie>, 9035893@ul.ie (David Knowles) writes:
> In article <1991Jun12.101850.1283@hollie.rdg.dec.com>, jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) writes:
> > Prehistorik by Titus Software.
> > ==============================
> > This is the game that has been hailed by some as being the game to push
> > the Mario Brothers off of their throne as the best platform scroller
> > around. I guess first thing's first; I'll dispell that myth; Mario
> > Brothers is still by far the best game of its kind. The Great Giana sisters
> > came close but Prehistorik isn't even in the running.
>
> Whaaaaaaaaat????
> What about Rick Dangerous I and II??
> I played GG Sisters and found it way too easy, there was no challenge whatsoever
> the gameplay was monotonous and the game really just too easy.
> What ever about Mario brothers, GG sisters is crap.

Great Giana Sister is one of my favorite games. If you found it too easy tell
me up to what level you played ? The Rick Dangerous games are great, but they
don't play like Mario Bros games. GGS does, and Apprentice does (by the way
Apprentice = Great Game by Rainbow Arts, one of the best companies).
Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65