[comp.sys.amiga.games] Stellar 7

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (05/28/91)

I was down at the local software emporium the other day and noticed that
they had Stellar 7 in the Amiga section.  Unfortunately the screen shots
they had on the box looked like IBM VGA, so they weren't much help in
giving an idea what the game was like on the A500.  Is the game
any good or is it another <expletive deleted> uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
-recompiled IBM port (a la A10 Tank Killer - which is not nearly as good as the
IBM version IMHO)?   Do the graphics compare at all to the IBM version?

RM

macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (05/28/91)

Yup, it's another expletive-deleted-unoptimized-C-recompiled, IBM port, a-la
A-10 Tank Killer, and it's kickin much saltlistics.   The graphics are typical
Sierra port style, and the gameplay is fair to poor.  Music is fair, you can
have this little ditty going in the background...I saw the VGA graphics on
the box too, and although I knew they wouldn't be as good as those, I figured
I would check it out because I liked the IBM version so much.

Man I played it the first night, haven't touched it since.  Thinking about for
matting track 0 on the boot disk and fakin "disk-error."

Oh By the way I would like to thank *all* the party people for the info on
Indy 500.  I have counted 14 responses on network news, and have gotten 10
card and buy this game.  Right.

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/29/91)

[]
I have played through Stellar 7 on the IBM and AMIGA veresions, on an
80386 (33mhz) and an A3000.  The graphics are almost as good as the VGA
version, and sound is MUCH better than the PC version, even if you do
have a soundboard on the PC.  graphics are about 90% as good as VGA,
in most scenes, little different.
It is a great game for the Amiga, I still play it often, I think it would
be quite slow on a 68000 based amiga though, but you can reduce the level
of graphics detail.

It is HD installable and runs fine under 2.0

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

valentin@btr.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea valentin@btr.com) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.110000.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca> macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca
writes:

>I was down at the local software emporium the other day and noticed that
>they had Stellar 7 in the Amiga section.  Unfortunately the screen shots
>they had on the box looked like IBM VGA, so they weren't much help in
>giving an idea what the game was like on the A500.  Is the game
>any good or is it another <expletive deleted> uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
>-recompiled IBM port (a la A10 Tank Killer - which is not nearly as good as
>the IBM version IMHO)?   Do the graphics compare at all to the IBM version?

The graphics are essentially the same, except that the color palette is
smaller. Rather than the 256 colours, you have 32. Apparently, extra-halfbrite
is not used. This means that shading on the 3d graphics is not as smooth.

The game performs as advertized. This used to be my favorite game on the Apple
II, wich I kept using until my Stellar 7 disk went bad. It was then finally
time to dump my Apple II.

Game play is just like on the Apple II, though the graphics are better. 3D
shaded filled polygons rather than wire-frame graphics. On the other hand,
I get the impression that your view window is smaller.  In addition to the
Apple II version, this version forces you into a combat with the "Guardian" at
the end of each level. Then you get a short digitzed voice of Gir Draxon as
a reward.

Sometimes I wished they did not add the Guardians on each planet. I liked the
Apple II version so much, I was hoping they would not deviate from the original
design by a single inch.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

e5pj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.110000.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>,
macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
> I was down at the local software emporium the other day and noticed that
> they had Stellar 7 in the Amiga section.  Unfortunately the screen shots
> they had on the box looked like IBM VGA, so they weren't much help in
> giving an idea what the game was like on the A500.  Is the game
> any good or is it another <expletive deleted> uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
> -recompiled IBM port (a la A10 Tank Killer - which is not nearly as good as the
> IBM version IMHO)?   Do the graphics compare at all to the IBM version?
>
> RM
>
> macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca

	I bought 'Stella7' from Elec. Boutique at my local mall, played it for
a couple of minutes... and returned it to them the next day for a refund...

***Vincent***

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.110000.1@watt.ccs.tuns.ca>, macauslandr@watt.ccs.tuns.ca writes:
> I was down at the local software emporium the other day and noticed that
> they had Stellar 7 in the Amiga section.  Unfortunately the screen shots
> they had on the box looked like IBM VGA, so they weren't much help in
> giving an idea what the game was like on the A500.  Is the game
> any good or is it another <expletive deleted> uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
> -recompiled IBM port (a la A10 Tank Killer - which is not nearly as good as the
> IBM version IMHO)?   Do the graphics compare at all to the IBM version?

I was really disappointed by the Stellar 7 amiga version: it has ugly
graphics, ugly colors, small screen, it is rather slow on a non-accelerated
amiga, is very painful with disk acess, even once installed on a hard drive
(The only good point), it is certainly a "uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
-recompiled IBM port". If you want good Battlezone games, try Battle Command
by OCEAN. It has been written by the authors of CARRIER COMMAND, and is a very
good tank battle arcade/simulation type game, with lot of missions. Some are
not very interesting, but some are very well designed. I played it for hours
and hours. The graphics are not very impressive but the game is very fun to
play, the 3D is very good and the atmosphere makes the game very addictive.

AVOID STELLAR 7 ! AVOID STELLAR 7 ! AVOID STELLAR 7 ! AVOID STELLAR 7 !

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (MarkNo Goofy Nickname Sachs) (05/31/91)

I have to agree with all the negative reviews: Stellar 7, The Updated
Version, is a disaster. I remember playing the original on an Apple II+.
It was wireframe only, with the usual Apple bleeps and blips, and without
all the fancy special weapons or end-of-level guardians -- and this was
one of my all-time-favorite games. Plus, even on that 1 mhz processor it
really flew. Unfortunately the new S7 suffers from Creeping Featuritis (tm).
The solid-filled 3D graphics are slow and the colors are ugly. Sigh...
if only...

Say, here's a neat idea for a PD game... anyone up to translating the
original Stellar 7, wireframe graphics and all? Hmm, I may even take a
whack at it myself.

//-Mark Sachs, aka mbs110@psuvm.psu.edu --//----- Remember the 1980's? ----//
// DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT!        /AMIGA   When things were so      //
//-Kei and Yuri forced me to say it. --\X/------- uncomplicated... - ELO --//

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (05/31/91)

writes:
>  is it another <expletive deleted> uninspired-direct-unoptomized-C
> -recompiled IBM port

Yes, it is.

Last night we had a little confrontation: we brought together a non-acclerated
A2000, a 16Mhz 286 and a 16 Mhz 386SX PC, and we tried stellar 7 (among others)

The Amiga version is very slow compared to the PC version on a stock 68000. This
with the horrible bright colors makes it a no-no for 68000 owners. It should be
playable, though, on a 68020 or 68030 machine, since the PC game was enjoyable
due to its smoothness. But I recommend you buy Starglider II, Warhead, or other
quality programs before considering stellar7.

PS: I was really astonished by the poor quality of flight sims on PCs! F19,
Falcon and red baron really pale in comparison to their amiga counterparts (or
wings for RB). (in smoothness, display resolution, sounds, and choice of
colors). Stellar 7 was the only game better on a 16Mhz PC than on a 7Mhz
68000...

However, we got to play Wing Commander, which is a really great game! I hope the
amiga port will be well made, even if they must delay the release for extensive
tuning...

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (06/01/91)

[]
In my opinion stellar 7 is an amiga game done RIGHT!  I really enhoy
(enjoy it, that is), and have played through it at all levels.
Runs under 2.0 and is HD installable, you can lower the graphic detail
for slower machines.

I recommend it!

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.183622.4791@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>In my opinion stellar 7 is an amiga game done RIGHT!  I really enhoy
>(enjoy it, that is), and have played through it at all levels.
>Runs under 2.0 and is HD installable, you can lower the graphic detail
>for slower machines.
>I recommend it!
>-Roger

Guess you haven't seen the IBM version, huh?

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan Trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

dan@dworkin.Amber.COM (Daniel Call) (06/03/91)

 i have it for IBM, and it's very good... but if they took away as much as
everyone says they did on the amiga version, it sounds pretty bad... they
shouldn't have changed the original game (especially those dumb guardians!),
but i find it a lot of fun nonetheless... i have the original one for the
apple, and i STILL play it once in a while.

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (06/03/91)

In article <91150.130131MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (MarkNo
Goofy Nickname Sachs) writes:
> Say, here's a neat idea for a PD game... anyone up to translating the
> original Stellar 7, wireframe graphics and all? Hmm, I may even take a
> whack at it myself.

Try Starglider I & II. unsurpassed handling and 3d smoothness (for the II, I is
wireframe)

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (06/05/91)

In article <91150.130131MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (MarkNo Goofy Nickname Sachs) writes:

>Say, here's a neat idea for a PD game... anyone up to translating the
>original Stellar 7, wireframe graphics and all? Hmm, I may even take a
>whack at it myself.

  I'd be very interested if such a project came to achievement!

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@taloa.unice.fr                       $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Pumpkin Power) (06/14/91)

Cedric.Beust@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Cedric Beust) writes:

>In article <91150.130131MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (MarkNo
>Goofy Nickname Sachs) writes:
>>
>>Say, here's a neat idea for a PD game... anyone up to translating the
>>original Stellar 7, wireframe graphics and all? Hmm, I may even take a
>>whack at it myself.

>  I'd be very interested if such a project came to achievement!

Too late. Dynamix, a division of Sierra, has produced yet another piece
of excremental software, and stuck the label 'Stellar 7' on it. It's
basically a conversion of the old game, but with filled vectors. Problem
being the people who programmed it obviously don't know the difference
between the Amiga and the IBM. The vectors were obviously done purely
with the processor, and probably written in C (or possibly Pascal!!) on top
of that. If you've got an accelerator then it will probably update at an
acceptable speed (if it doesn't crash...) It will still have a playability
of about zero though (slow vectors aside, the game was still crap IMHO).
Needless to say, after testing it in the store I didn't buy it. I'd
suggest you test it out before paying any money also!!

Peter Barton (s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au)

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (06/17/91)

s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Pumpkin Power) writes:

>Too late. Dynamix, a division of Sierra, has produced yet another piece
>of excremental software, and stuck the label 'Stellar 7' on it. It's
>basically a conversion of the old game, but with filled vectors. Problem
>being the people who programmed it obviously don't know the difference
>between the Amiga and the IBM. The vectors were obviously done purely
>with the processor, and probably written in C (or possibly Pascal!!) on top
>of that. If you've got an accelerator then it will probably update at an
>acceptable speed (if it doesn't crash...) It will still have a playability
>of about zero though (slow vectors aside, the game was still crap IMHO).
>Needless to say, after testing it in the store I didn't buy it. I'd
>suggest you test it out before paying any money also!!

I haven't seen the Amiga version, but I've played this game on an IBM with
VGA, and it was great!  It was plenty fast (on a 16MHz machine), the graphics
were fantastic, and I thought its playability was well above average.  I can't
imagine the Amiga version being much worse.  Has anyone else played it on the
Amiga?

>Peter Barton (s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au)
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.083440.21321@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Pumpkin Power) writes:
>Cedric.Beust@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Cedric Beust) writes:

[Stuff Deleted]

>>In article <91150.130131MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (MarkNo
>Too late. Dynamix, a division of Sierra, has produced yet another piece
>of excremental software, and stuck the label 'Stellar 7' on it.
[Stuff Deleted]

I just got Stellar for my A3000/25/50. It's really nice. On a slow Amiga
it would suck mud but on an accelerated machine it works fine. It even
states in the documentation that it runs on the A3000. Even at maximum
detail level this game is fast on an A3000. I would not recomend this
game for non-accelerated Amigas but if you have a fast machine and loved
the C-64 Stellar 7  then you'll like this one.

s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Pumpkin Power) (06/21/91)

iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) writes:

>I just got Stellar for my A3000/25/50. It's really nice. On a slow Amiga
>it would suck mud but on an accelerated machine it works fine. It even
>states in the documentation that it runs on the A3000. Even at maximum
>detail level this game is fast on an A3000. I would not recomend this
>game for non-accelerated Amigas but if you have a fast machine and loved
>the C-64 Stellar 7  then you'll like this one.

That's the point though. The people at Sierra programmed it like they do
all their Amiga software - ignoring the custom chips. If they'd had used
the blitter with their vectors then the game would have been much better
on a standard Amiga. No improvement on accelerated machines (and probably
slower than it is now), but at least it would be playable on the
majority of machines. For me the update was just too slow - I'd prefer it
to have been left as line vectors like the C64, at least that was
playable!

	   Pumpkin Power  :  s892031@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au