[comp.sys.amiga.games] Populous

v117gv8r@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thom Burnett) (09/15/90)

Populous with someone who owns an IBM compatable? Anyone who has done so
or knows something about how it can be done, I would appreciate being
told how this can work.
				Thanx,
				Thom

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (09/16/90)

v117gv8r@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thom Burnett) writes:

> Populous with someone who owns an IBM compatable? Anyone who has done so
> or knows something about how it can be done, I would appreciate being
> told how this can work.

It should be possible, and as my last message stated we had it working, but
it seems to screw up after radical landscape changes. Theoretically, all tht
is involved is making or buying a null modem cable, connecting the two
serial ports, choosing modem play from the Populous menus and make sure the
baud rates are compatible. If you are playing with two computers over the
telephone, then it would probably be easiest to connect using a terminal
program, exit the terminal and go into Populous (make sure your term.
doesn't hang up the phone on exit) and set the baud and connect as above.
Good luck and let me know if it works!

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (09/19/90)

v117gv8r@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thom Burnett) writes:

>Populous with someone who owns an IBM compatable? Anyone who has done so
>or knows something about how it can be done, I would appreciate being
>told how this can work.
>				Thanx,
>				Thom
Oh, it is long time ago (almost a year ago) I tried this.
But I had success ! The only problem is the modem, I think.
Make sure you're not using MNP protokoll or something like this (nothing to
do with Popolous so far). I think, it is the best Idea to try it first with
a Null-Modem (X-Modem) Cable. There you can access the maximum speed (19200).
But, I sold the game, and I can't tell you any further details, sorry.
CU, Markus.				PS. Good look !
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Diogenes) (09/30/90)

settle option to build your leader's strength - build castles by making
large areas of flat land.

rb4572@leah.albany.edu (Whitesnake) (04/12/91)

Can someone please e-mail me some instructions on how to play Populous?

Much appreciated.

						Ron

rb4572@rachel.albany.edu  or  rb4572@albnyvms.bitnet
--
 |\/\/\/|     Ron Bangel                             "Love is like a snowmobile
 |      |     Computing Services Center                 racing across the
 |      |     State University of New York at Albany    tundra when suddenly it
 | (o)(o)                                               flips you over, pinning

rb4572@leah.albany.edu (Whitesnake) (04/12/91)

Oops... sorry about that Populous post.  I should have indicated (from what
a few have mailed me) that I do, indeed, own the _original_ disk, which I
purchased from a friend back home while on Spring Break.  He didn't have the
manual for me, so I don't have any idea how to play it, but had seen it in
stores and it looked cool so I jumped at the chance to get a used one when
he wanted to sell it.  That's why I'd like some info on how to play it.

Thanks.
--

mjt@voodoo.UUCP (Jim Tallant) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.030654.10501@sarah.albany.edu> rb4572@leah.albany.edu (Whitesnake) writes:

>Can someone please e-mail me some instructions on how to play Populous?

Sure. Just pick up your wallet and run down to your local software store and
buy a legitimate copy of the game. When you buy the game this way they actually
give you instructions with it.

>Much appreciated.

No problem.

--
Jim Tallant / mjt@voodoo.boeing.com / uunet!bcstec!voodoo!mjt / bogey on!
The only trouble with the future is that it

pearmana@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Pearman) (06/20/91)

Am I right in thinking that there is a follow up game to Populous
called Populous II.  I'm familiar with Populous, so could someone
outline what changes were made or what features were added.

  Thanks,

  Andy

--

Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) (06/20/91)

In article <1364@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk writes:
>Am I right in thinking that there is a follow up game to Populous
>called Populous II.  I'm familiar with Populous, so could someone
>outline what changes were made or what features were added.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Andy
>
>--
>
>Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
>              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk

The only populous update I know of is not called Populous, it's powermonger
and while it is alot like populous in many ways, it is also quit different.

Is this what your talking about, or IS there a new version of the actual
Populous game?

Cython....

--

Internet/Bitnet: cython@irie.ais.org
CompuServe: 76217,1372 (via Internet) 76217.1372@compuserve.com

doucet@laas.fr (Jean Etienne Doucet) (06/20/91)

In article <W6!D=S&@irie.ais.org> cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) writes:
>In article <1364@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk writes:
>>Am I right in thinking that there is a follow up game to Populous
>>called Populous II.  I'm familiar with Populous, so could someone
>>outline what changes were made or what features were added.
>>

>The only populous update I know of is not called Populous, it's powermonger
>and while it is alot like populous in many ways, it is also quit different.
>
>Is this what your talking about, or IS there a new version of the actual
>Populous game?

I recently saw a catalog from some mail-order company where Populous II
was priced at FF300 (~$50). Though, I've never seen it in any store yet,
neither read anything about it in French magazines.

(I'm french, that explains bad use of English language and heavy French accent.)

As for PowerMonger, When I bought it (in Feb'91), enclosed in the box,
was an announce for an extension disk (new worlds to conquer), and
a book (Strategy Guide or something like that) to appear (disk & book)
in March. I've seen nothing coming up to date...
Has anyone one some information about that?

And also about Populous II, too ?

=   Jean-Etienne Doucet   =     doucet@laas.laas.fr               =
=       LAAS - CNRS       ======================================= =
=    Toulouse,  France    =     this space is NOT left blank...   =

elf@halcyon.ogi.edu (06/20/91)

cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) writes:

> In article <1364@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk writes:
> >Am I right in thinking that there is a follow up game to Populous
> >called Populous II.  I'm familiar with Populous, so could someone
> >outline what changes were made or what features were added.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >  Andy
> >
> >--
> >
> >Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England
> >              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk
>
> The only populous update I know of is not called Populous, it's powermonger
> and while it is alot like populous in many ways, it is also quit different.
>
> Is this what your talking about, or IS there a new version of the actual
> Populous game?
>
> Cython....

        Forgive me if this is a little scrambled, but I've broken one
hand and can't type terribly well.  Obviously you've not seen "The
Promised Lands," which is basically the same thing as Populous, only with
new setttings.  Western worlds (Where it's Cowboys vs Indians), Leggoland
(Where it's... Oh, guess!), The French revolution (You get to play the
aristocracy!  Your symbol is the guilliotine!), silly land (Which is just
plain Weird) and ComputerWorld (Where your walkers are bugs, the
buildings are little computer stations and castles are complete CAM
stations, your flag is the Commodore and the enemy flies Atari, and the
holy symbols are a mouse and a joystick, respectively.  The stones and
trees are coffee cups, pencils, and cigarette butts, and the terrain is
greenbar!).

        Elf !!!

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (06/20/91)

I saw some screenshots of Populous II. It should be released fairly soon
(probably more like late summer/september ?). It's similar in appearance
to Populous but it has much more clean cut graphics and there are more
disasters/controls etc. Apparently the disasters are more animated and
graphic; eg the volcano's sprout up and start spewing lava across the
land etc. There are whirlpools (which seems to imply that there may be
boats ?).

I also saw some shots from a game called (tentatively) Bob or "higher
function". Another 3D overhead game from Bullfrog. This looks as if it's
set in a hi-tech city of the future and appears to be more of an
adventure game.

Me ? I can't wait for Populous II. It's a must-get kind of game!

				Jamie.

x3212ijt@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (06/21/91)

Well, in a review of Powermonger, it was mentioned that a Populous II was
being developed. I also want information on this.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/21/91)

In article <W6!D=S&@irie.ais.org> cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) writes:
| In article <1364@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk writes:
| >Am I right in thinking that there is a follow up game to Populous
| >called Populous II.  I'm familiar with Populous, so could someone
| >outline what changes were made or what features were added.
| >
| >  Thanks,
| >
| >  Andy
| >
| >--
| >
| >Andy Pearman, Computer Dept, Philips Research Labs, Redhill, Surrey, England.
| >              pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk
|
| The only populous update I know of is not called Populous, it's powermonger
| and while it is alot like populous in many ways, it is also quit different.
|
| Is this what your talking about, or IS there a new version of the actual
| Populous game?
|
| Cython....

Yes there is, but it's not out yet. If either of you can get a copy of
the excellent Brit mag Amiga Power which is a spin-off of that OTHER
great Brit Mag known as Amiga Format, then get it as they have a big
article on Bullfrog in that issue and it covers Populous II. It looks
like a great game from the screen-shots.

Laurana

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

d89-rbi@alv.nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) (06/21/91)

Yes, you are right. Populous II will arrive and in the next
issue of "The One", (july), there will be a complete
"work in progress". The new version is an enhanced version
of the first one with many new functions and those things
like vulcanos etc.

New worlds to Powermonger (which is NOT populous II) will
come also.

All this according to my european computer magazines.

  Ron Birk, d89-rbi@nada.kth.se (The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)