[comp.sys.amiga.games] Their Finest Hour

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/06/90)

> kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <9006061601.AA00982@human-torch.lockheed.com>
>
> Person: Monty Kosma
>
> I tried out "their finest hour" yesterday at a local dealer (tho' only
> briefly) and my first impressions were that the game is quite sluggish
> (graphics and response to controls), especially in comparison to Falcon.
>
> Is it really this way?  I'd like to hear from somebody who's spent more time
> with it--what is it like as an overall game/simulation?  The historical
> aspects are intriguing, but I'm wondering if it will really keep my
> interest...

It is sluggish, but the scenery can be "adjusted" to allow for less detail,
thereby speeding up response somewhat.  Unfortunately, BoB's performance is not
up to the standard set by Falcon, a flight and combat simulation seemingly
alone in its class.

I've played the game regularly since I bought it two weeks ago.  The scenarios
are detailed and varied; I'm sure that the game will keep my interest for as
long as Falcon, through its two revisions, has--in other words, I think that
BoB will keep my interest for a long time to come.

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) (06/06/90)

ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (06/07/90)

In article <9006061601.AA00982@human-torch.lockheed.com> kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) writes:
>I tried out "their finest hour" yesterday at a local dealer (tho' only
>briefly) and my first impressions were that the game is quite sluggish
>(graphics and response to controls), especially in comparison to Falcon.

Does it just seem sluggish because you are flying World War II
propeller planes (Spitfires and Messerschmidts I would imagine) as
opposed to jet aircraft (ie intentionally so) ?  Or is it a flaw
in the game ?

I thought LucasFilms previous aerial combat game, _BattleHawks 1942_
was great, with one exception :  the planes had to be controlled
by mouse.  Can you use a joystick for _Their_Finest_Hour_ ?
Dave Ewing                      "Act like a dumbshit and they'll
ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com     treat you like an equal."

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/09/90)

> Dave Ewing writes:
>
> [...]
> Does it just seem sluggish because you are flying World War II
> propeller planes (Spitfires and Messerschmidts I would imagine) as
> opposed to jet aircraft (ie intentionally so) ?  Or is it a flaw
> in the game ?

Partly yes:  there is a great difference (obviously) between the performance
envelopes of propellor and jet aircraft.   (Geez, you mean I _can't_ accelerate
during a 90 degree climb in my Spitfire???)  :-)

Partly no:  the graphics do slow the game down a little, but there are three
settings (high detail, some detail, no detail).  I fight with no detail and
land with some detail.

> Can you use a joystick for _Their_Finest_Hour_ ?

Yep, although the mouse gives better control.

lang@hpfcso.HP.COM (John J. Lang) (06/09/90)

/ hpfcso:comp.sys.amiga.games / ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) /  9:49 am  Jun  7, 1990 /
> I thought LucasFilms previous aerial combat game, _BattleHawks 1942_
> was great, with one exception :  the planes had to be controlled
> by mouse.  Can you use a joystick for _Their_Finest_Hour_ ?
> Dave Ewing

I have not made a head to head comparison, but TFH seems slower than
BH 1942.  One thing I have noticed is that the planes seem to fly
"smarter" in TFH.  By that I mean that use better tactics, and more
complicated maneuvers.

The Documentation indicates you can use a joystick in TFH, but I have
not tried it.  Actually I prefer the mouse, I also use a Gravis Mousestick,
but I don't know which I think is better.

John Lang

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) (06/12/90)

From article <9006061601.AA00982@human-torch.lockheed.com>, by kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma):
> I tried out "their finest hour" yesterday at a local dealer (tho' only
> briefly) and my first impressions were that the game is quite sluggish
> (graphics and response to controls), especially in comparison to Falcon.
>
> Is it really this way?  I'd like to hear from somebody who's spent more time
> with it--what is it like as an overall game/simulation?  The historical
> aspects are intriguing, but I'm wondering if it will really keep my
> interest...

	I bought it and now wish that I hadn't :-(
	The graphics are slow and kludgy,  badly drawn, I can hardly see
what I am attacking at times so it tends to detract from the overall
"simulation"  The only historic content of the game is in the manual
Obviously it is just a port from the PC the Amigas graphics hardware
have not been used tto their full potential by a long way.
Most dissapointing.  Also having a copy of Battlehawks (which BTW is
quite goosd) i assumed that the would have improved upon this software
with Their finest hour.  Unfortunately the opposite proved to be the
case

Most dissapointing

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/13/90)

Yes, TFH is "sluggish" but mostly because the planes themselves were
sluggish. I've noticed that when the frame rate drops (because a lot
is going on) the plane continues to fly accurately. (meaning that it
takes 4 seconds to turn 180 degrees whether or not you get 30 frames
or 3 frames in those 4 seconds.) I sent off a long letter to LucasFilm
Games with some comments/bug reports will let you know if I hear back.

Among them :
	Refueling/ReArming - Why can't I get anyone at my home airfield
		to rearm me? I land, I wait. Once I was strafed and
		killed (and greeted with the "You crashed into the
		ground and didn't survive" message and I was sitting
		on the damn runway!)

	Combat Films : This is a wonderful idea but fatally flawed
		somehow. I had just run out of Ammunition, leveled
		out on a heading toward home. Everything trim I'm at
		5,000'. Switch to Replay mode. Now I'm watching my
		exploits and figuring out where I screwed up etc.
		But wait what is this? I'm firing into thin air with
		no one in sight? Switch to cockpit view, yup no one
		there. So what is the deal? This is not something
		I did in the real flight so something is wrong. Watch
		the film to the end and what's this? A picture of
		me dumping it into the channel? Say what? So I
		click exit, flight resumed for about 1/2 sec at
		5000' and then fade to black and the sad story
		about how I had to be rescued. Too weird!

	Solid/Vaporus Hangars - Ever notice that on the dirt airfields
		you can drive through the hangars but on the paved
		fields this will cause an explosion and you die?

Another good use for combat films (when they are working) is to
watch the flight from the cockpit of the enemy fighters and see
how they sneak up on you.

Very strong fundamentals in this game. Now we need to simulate some
of the naval battles. Then using a variety of games one can simulate
most of the second world war. Pretty wild.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

kosma%human-torch@STC.LOCKHEED.COM (Monty Kosma) (06/13/90)

stuff deleted

   Very strong fundamentals in this game. Now we need to simulate some
   of the naval battles. Then using a variety of games one can simulate
   most of the second world war. Pretty wild.

   --Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems

I was in a semi-local store the other day and saw a WWII naval battle simulator
but I don't remember its name or anything about it...anybody else seen it?

monty

ewing@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Ewing) (06/28/90)

In article <3207@bnr-rsc.UUCP> uunet!chekov!hounsell writes:
>  After hearing what this newsgroup had to say about "Their Finest Hour", I
>was unsure whether to buy it or not when I saw it in a store last night (after
>all, I already have 3 flight simulators). But I grabbed it anyway, and am I
>glad I did!

I agree. This is a great game.  Excellent dogfighting scenarios
( dogfighting in World War II planes is a lot more fun than
in jets IMHO).

Does anyone know of any good World War I aerial combat simulations ?

Dave Ewing                      "Act like a dumbshit and they'll
ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com     treat you like an equal."

hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Sch"urkamp) (06/25/91)

Hi Netters,
I've got a chance to purchase Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm games at a
rather low price. Before I buy it though I'd really like to know if the
game is hd-installable, and if it is not (officially), wether anyone has
managed none the less.

Cheers in advance,
hoover

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/26/91)

In article <57130@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Sch"urkamp) writes...
>Hi Netters,
>I've got a chance to purchase Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm games at a
>rather low price. Before I buy it though I'd really like to know if the
>game is hd-installable, and if it is not (officially), wether anyone has
>managed none the less.
>
>Cheers in advance,
>hoover

  It should be HD installable, as the only form of protection it uses is
a manual look-up gizmo.  I don't play it often enough to put it on the ol' HD,
but it looks like it should go no problem.

/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /
/ |_________________________|                   _ // Amiga          \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

fsadl@acad3.alaska.edu (LOOMIS ANDREW D) (06/26/91)

In article <57130@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de (Uwe Sch"urkamp) writes...
>Hi Netters,
>I've got a chance to purchase Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm games at a
>rather low price. Before I buy it though I'd really like to know if the
>game is hd-installable, and if it is not (officially), wether anyone has
>managed none the less.
>
>Cheers in advance,
>hoover

It is hard drive installable, and it is (IMHO) a great game.
Andrew Loomis
Bitnet: FSADL@ALASKA
Internet: FSADL@ACAD3.ALASKA.EDU

Never have so many owed so much to so few.  -Winston Churchill

He must have been thinking of our liquor bills.  -An unidentified RAF pilot

hoover@math10.tmc.edu (Uwe Schuerkamp) (06/26/91)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on the question concerning
Their Finest Hour by LucasFilm games.
hoover

--
"It is impossible to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
Uwe Sch"urkamp                               (hoover@math4.uni-bielefeld.de)

elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) (06/26/91)

>    I've got a chance to purchase Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm games at a
>    rather low price. Before I buy it though I'd really like to know if the
>    game is hd-installable, and if it is not (officially), wether anyone has
>    managed none the less.
Yep, it installs on a hard disk, and, IMHO, that is really the only way
to play the game.  It accesses the disk every time you want to look at the
map (and you have to do this at least once per mission for copy protection).
On a floppy system, this is extremely slow.  On a hard disk, it is tolerable.