[comp.sys.amiga.games] Captive Help...

teletran@nstar.rn.com (Marc Miller) (06/24/91)

I've been playing Captive now for a few months and have made to the Space
Station twice.  Both times I've been totally annihilated right at the
beginning.

What I'd like is to get some general tips such as how and when to distribute
experience points, when and how often to buy new bodies, what devscapes &
optics to use, etc.

I'd also like to know if there is a character editor around to edit my
characters.  I've determined that the name you give your droids determines
their beginning experience.  Has anyone else noticed this and/or given their
droids some "powerful" names?

Thanks in advance.  If responses are emailed to me, I'll summarize and post
the results.

Marc

--
Marc Miller       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: teletran@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/24/91)

Could someone tell me what Captive is all about, and where (i.e. Mail Order)
could I get it?  I haven't seen it anywhere except in those cool ass
UK mags.

ADthanxVANCE,

**********************Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore**************************
* 		   *               The                * "Every motherf*cker  *
*  CHICAGO BULLS   *    Microcomputer & Workstation   *   with a color is    *
*    THE 1991       *        Networks Center         *    most wanted."      *
*       NBA         *      would have to PAY me      *	                     *
*     CHAMPZ!       *    to express any kind of an   *       - Ice Cube      *
* 		    *    opinion in their behalf.    *                       *
*******[AMIGA]*************mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu]*****************************

edg@ingres.com (Ed Goldman) (06/28/91)

In article <Jw8Z41w161w@nstar.rn.com> teletran@nstar.rn.com (Marc Miller) writes:
>I've been playing Captive now for a few months and have made to the Space
>Station twice.  Both times I've been totally annihilated right at the
>beginning.

Tips for space station:

1) Arrive with lots of ammo - it may take a while to find a shop and some of
   the bad guys will need lots of hits to take down.

2) dev scape super (deflector) will come in handy near the beginning, but it's
   expensive and won't really be necessary if you use the basic tactics
   below.

3) Get a camera in shop on previous level.

4) Basic tactics I used for station:

   Near the beginning of the station you'll come to an up ladder.
   climb up and set up the camera.  climb down.  Now use the camera to see
   when a monster is going away from the ladder.  Quickly pop up the ladder
   and blast em in the back before they turn around then go back down.

   Once you've cleared things out, go up and explore (I think the rest of
   the level leads on from here).  Every time you open a door with a monster
   behind it (use radar optic to determine this), run back to the ladder
   and repeat tactic.

   Eventually you won't have to keep running back to the ladder as you'll
   come to doors you can open/close and hide behind.  This tactic is:
   retreat to door you've discovered before letting monsters out elsewhere,
   when they come into sight blast em quick then close door.

-edg-

Nervid@cup.portal.com (Dave Dave Luke) (06/29/91)

I just got Captive and am thoroughly confused.
1. Are there maps available on usenet? If so, where?
2. What planet should I go to first?
3. How do I switch marching order position?
4. Are there any cheats known?
5. Should I spend a lot of time on the game?  I.E., is it a good one? Looks
      good so far.
6. Has anyone been able to transfer it to a hard drive?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nervid@cup.portal.com