[comp.sys.amiga.games] Need Info, EOB

paulm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul McGregor) (06/28/91)

  Having been a real DM fan, Eye Of the Beholder looks really juicy.
I just wanted some opinions on how good it is in comparison to DM.

Also some standard questions:

	1. Does it install on HD?
	2. Does it work on a 3000?

Any info would be appreciated.

brianr@tekig1.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (06/29/91)

In article <6545@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> paulm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul McGregor) writes:

>  Having been a real DM fan, Eye Of the Beholder looks really juicy.
>I just wanted some opinions on how good it is in comparison to DM.

Normally, I'd send an e-mail reply, but I don't trust the automatic
reply feature to deliver it, and I refuse to learn enough about the
arcane innards of e-mail to deliver it manually...

>Also some standard questions:
>
>	1. Does it install on HD?

 Yes.

>	2. Does it work on a 3000?

 Yes, provided you've got an up-to-date release of the OS (2.04, I think)

>Any info would be appreciated.

Though the game does too much screen-flipping to be considered multitasking,
it does allow exiting to AmigaDOS without a reboot.  It maintains only
one "save file" (actually two files), but you can use simple copies of these
to manage multiple save points.

One thing that was *REALLY* impressive about DungeonMaster was the fact
that every creature in the dungeon was modeled as if it was continually
in existance, rather than only existing as long as you were on its
level.  For example, in DM, you could wound a creature by throwing
missle weapons at it, and then drop it down a trapdoor.  You could
subsequently go down to the next lower level via whatever method you
wanted, and encounter the same creature!  When you killed it, it would
drop the missles you'd stuck into it on the floor above.

I doubt that EOTB has this faithful a modeling system.  While attempting
to complete a "quest", I mistakenly tried dropping some objects down a
pit.  As far as the game was concerned, pits only affect the player's
party; the object I'd tried to drop down the pit was hovering there
in midair!  Hint:  don't try this at home, kiddies; it's a good way to
render inaccessible artifacts that you might need later.

Brian Rhodefer

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (06/29/91)

In article <6545@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> paulm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul McGregor) writes:
>  Having been a real DM fan, Eye Of the Beholder looks really juicy.
>I just wanted some opinions on how good it is in comparison to DM.

Haven't played DM, myself, but I like EOB quite a bit.  I hear the ending
sucks, though I haven't had as much time to play it as I would like and thus
haven't finsihed myself.

>Also some standard questions:
>
>	1. Does it install on HD?

Yes, runs beautifully from HD.

>	2. Does it work on a 3000?

It works well on a 3000.  But it doesn't like KS 2.{0.1.2.3}.  As a
developer, I've got the most recent KickStart and the game runs fine.  When I
tried it on the demo machine at the UIC Micro/Station (I'm also an ASOCC),
which is running 2.03, the game crashed randomly in many places.  The game
was ported by the same people that did ChessMaster 2100, which also has
problems on KS 2.{0.1.2.3}, but runs more or less ok under the current stuff.

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)