[alt.graphics.pixutils] Anyone handle TIFF images with response curves?

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (09/07/90)

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:
>I noticed that neither the PBMPLUS utilities nor the FBM utilities
>handle TIFF images with grey/color response curves. Has anyone
>written a TIFF to {something} converter that doesn't just grab the
>raw bits? (The grey response curve indicates the actual value of each
>level of grey. I believe that this is called 'gamma correction'? For
>example, the actual mappings might be 0 10 50 100 for a 4 level grey image).

Incidentally, can anyone explain that 'gamma factor' a little better than
what I've seen in the TIFF specification?  Examples would be good.

And how much does it matter on 64-grayscale VGA?

--
Kevin Martin  |||  sigma@pawl.rpi.edu  |||  usergkj1@RPITSMTS.BITNET

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (09/10/90)

In article <TL'%YC*@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
|dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:
|>I noticed that neither the PBMPLUS utilities nor the FBM utilities
|>handle TIFF images with grey/color response curves. Has anyone
|>written a TIFF to {something} converter that doesn't just grab the
|>raw bits? (The grey response curve indicates the actual value of each
|>level of grey. I believe that this is called 'gamma correction'? For
|>example, the actual mappings might be 0 10 50 100 for a 4 level grey image).
|
|Incidentally, can anyone explain that 'gamma factor' a little better than
|what I've seen in the TIFF specification?  Examples would be good.

	gamma refers to the fact that there is
	a non-linear relationship between excitation
	and brightness for many diplays, such as
	CRT's and film. Since the relationship is
	approximately logarithmic, gamma is an
	expression of the degree of the equation -
	for example, a gamma of 2.5 says that
	output brightness varies with input excitation
	taken to the 2.5 power.

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu