[alt.graphics.pixutils] Help with unknown format

plaplagn@gara.une.oz.au (Patrick Laplagne ECON) (09/19/90)

Hi. I have recently come across a graphic format which I can't figure out. All my attempts at viewing it have proven unsuccessful. Hopefully somebody can help. The initial file is in compressed format with the *.Z ending. When decompressed,its first few lines look like this:
#define noname_width 576
#define noname_height 720
static char noname_bits[] = {
    0xdd, 0x55, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0x6d, 0xb7, 0x6d, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0xb6, 0x6d,
    0x5b, 0x6b, 0xbb, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xda, 0xfe, 0xff, 0xff, 0xdf, 0xff, 0xff,
...and so on. It is an ascii file. When transferred onto a PC, it will not let itself be opened as any of the common formats (including gif). I am doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your answers and/or suggestions. Patrick.

madsax@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark A. DeLoura) (09/19/90)

In article <3765@gara.une.oz.au> plaplagn@gara.une.oz.au (Patrick Laplagne ECON) writes:
>Hi. I have recently come across a graphic format which I can't figure out.
>All my attempts at viewing it have proven unsuccessful. Hopefully somebody
>can help. The initial file is in compressed format with the *.Z ending.
>When decompressed,its first few lines look like this:
>#define noname_width 576
>#define noname_height 720
>static char noname_bits[] = {
>    0xdd, 0x55, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0x6d, 0xb7, 0x6d, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0xb6, 0x6d,
>    0x5b, 0x6b, 0xbb, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xda, 0xfe, 0xff, 0xff, 0xdf, 0xff, 0xff,
>...and so on. It is an ascii file. When transferred onto a PC, it will not
>let itself be opened as any of the common formats (including gif). I am doing
>something wrong? Thanks in advance for your answers and/or suggestions.
>Patrick.

Looks like an X bitmap file to me...you can create them if you are running
on an X display, and use the 'bitmap' program.  They come in real handy
for C programming, 'cuz the .xbm file can be #include'd, and then used for
creating images and such.

Mark A. DeLoura    madsax@milton.u.washington.edu      University of Washington
    "It's better to play one note and mean it,
           than play zillions of scales and not mean it."  -Mike Oldfield

al@millipore.com (Al Wolfson) (09/19/90)

In article <3765@gara.une.oz.au> plaplagn@gara.une.oz.au (Patrick Laplagne ECON) writes:
>Hi. I have recently come across a graphic format which I can't figure out. All my attempts at viewing it have proven unsuccessful. Hopefully somebody can help. The initial file is in compressed format with the *.Z ending. When decompressed,its first few lines look like this:
>#define noname_width 576
>#define noname_height 720
>static char noname_bits[] = {
>    0xdd, 0x55, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0x6d, 0xb7, 0x6d, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0xb6, 0x6d,
>    0x5b, 0x6b, 0xbb, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xda, 0xfe, 0xff, 0xff, 0xdf, 0xff, 0xff,
>...and so on. It is an ascii file. When transferred onto a PC, it will not let itself be opened as any of the common formats (including gif). I am doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your answers and/or suggestions. Patrick.

	The file you have is an X Window bitmap file.  If you have
access to X Windows, type "bitmap filename" to display the bitmap.

--
Alan Wolfson (617) 229-2870 x2173
MilliGen / Biosearch

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (09/19/90)

plaplagn@gara.une.oz.au (Patrick Laplagne ECON) writes:

>Hi. I have recently come across a graphic format which I can't figure out. All my attempts at viewing it have proven unsuccessful. Hopefully somebody can help. The initial file is in compressed format with the *.Z ending. When decompressed,its first few lines look like this:
>#define noname_width 576
>#define noname_height 720
>static char noname_bits[] = {
>    0xdd, 0x55, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0x6d, 0xb7, 0x6d, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0xb6, 0x6d,
>    0x5b, 0x6b, 0xbb, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xda, 0xfe, 0xff, 0xff, 0xdf, 0xff, 0xff,
>...and so on. It is an ascii file. When transferred onto a PC, it will not let itself be opened as any of the common formats (including gif). I am doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your answers and/or suggestions. Patrick.

Obviously it's sourcecode in C for some kind of bitmap... try a program like

for (y=0; y<noname_height; y++)
  for (x=0; x<noname_width;x++)
    if (noname_bits[(y * noname_width + x) >> 3] & (1 << (x % 8)))
	setpixel(x,y);

Perpahps (x % 8) should be (7 - (x % 8)) depending on bitorder...
compile and run, and have some phun...

/Z
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* My signature is smaller than  *

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (09/20/90)

Laplagne ECON) writes:
|> Hi. I have recently come across a graphic format which I can't figure
out.
|> All my attempts at viewing it have proven unsuccessful. Hopefully
somebody
|> can help. The initial file is in compressed format with the *.Z
ending.
|> When decompressed,its first few l|> ines look like this:
|> #define noname_width 576
|> #define noname_height 720
|> static char noname_bits[] = {
|>     0xdd, 0x55, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0x6d, 0xb7, 0x6d, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xb6, 0xb6,
0x6d,
|>     0x5b, 0x6b, 0xbb, 0x6d, 0xdb, 0xda, 0xfe, 0xff, 0xff, 0xdf, 0xff,
0xff,
|> ...and so on. It is an ascii file. When transferred onto a PC, it
will not
|> let itself be opened as any of the common formats (including gif).

As others have opined, it's a (large) X bitmap file.  Since you are
interested in GIF, and since a working assumption of this newsgroup
seems to be that you have access to PBMPLUS :-), try this:

	zcat file.Z | xbmtopbm | ppmtogif > file.gif
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks