[alt.graphics.pixutils] X-window paint programs

jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (01/04/91)

I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
besides the silly bitmap program.

In case there IS something out there, I'd like the ability to draw lines,
put in bitmapped text, simple polygons, etc.  And output to g3 fax, pcx, or
any of the pbm formats.

Help!

I'd even consider a commercial package.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (01/05/91)

In article <7958@hub.ucsb.edu> jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:

   I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
   really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
   besides the silly bitmap program.

   In case there IS something out there, I'd like the ability to draw lines,
   put in bitmapped text, simple polygons, etc.  And output to g3 fax, pcx, or
   any of the pbm formats.

   Help!

   I'd even consider a commercial package.

Do you really mean "paint" program, or will a "draw" type program
suffice.  It sounds like it will.  The one that I prefer to use is
called tgif (no relation to the Compuserve GIF standard).  It is an
object based draw program with Postscript output...  if you need PBM
format, just dump the window that contains the document to xwd format
and voila, you've got a paint program..

tgif is available via anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu

-Paul

--

Paul Nakada  |  Oracle Corporation  |  pnakada@oracle.com

pete@fidata.fi (Petri Helenius) (01/05/91)

In article <adri.663067330@dutncp8> adri@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (A.B. van Woerkom) writes:

   What about xfig; available on every decent X archive site.
   There also exists a transfig package to translate (x)fig format to pic,
   postscript, LaTex, and maybe more.

xfig is not a paint program. It's a DRAW program. I'm also interested. Is there
a good paint program floating around for X11 ?
  It doesn't even have to be good. Just usable. bitmap is not for my purposes.
 Petri Helenius, Fimeko-Data Oy      Phone     +358-0-458 2421
----------------------------------!  Telefax   +358-0-458 2425
 Looking for Unix(r) FAX-system ? !  Internet  pete@fidata.fi
 Mail queries to unifax@fidata.fi !  FidoNet   2:504/23.0

adri@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (A.B. van Woerkom) (01/05/91)

jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:

>I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
>really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
>besides the silly bitmap program.

>In case there IS something out there, I'd like the ability to draw lines,
>put in bitmapped text, simple polygons, etc.  And output to g3 fax, pcx, or
>any of the pbm formats.

What about xfig; available on every decent X archive site.
There also exists a transfig package to translate (x)fig format to pic,
postscript, LaTex, and maybe more.

>Help!
Hope this helps.
--
A.B. van Woerkom, adri@dutncp6.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Applied Physics, Physics

koblas@mips.COM (David Koblas) (01/06/91)

In article <7958@hub.ucsb.edu> jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:
>I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
>really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
>besides the silly bitmap program.
>
>In case there IS something out there, I'd like the ability to draw lines,
>put in bitmapped text, simple polygons, etc.  And output to g3 fax, pcx, or
>any of the pbm formats.

Long ago I wrote 'xpaint' which is a VERY crude version of MacPaint.
It can draw lines, bitmapped text, and a couble of other things.  It
tends to be a bit slow, and has one or two bugs, but it is free and
available in the 'comp.sources.x' archives.

For those of you who actually know of this program, I've not yet
begun to work on "Version 2", since I've not had any copious free
time recently (even though I almost started it over the holidays).

--
name : David Koblas                        domain: koblas@cs.uoregon.edu
place: Nowhere, I'm just an AI batch job.  domain: koblas@mips.com

dn@well.sf.ca.us (David Newman) (01/06/91)

find PD paint programs that fit your needs, you should know about our
products.

Island Graphics is selling two X Windows versions of a sophisticated
paint program; both for OSF/Motif on Suns, Apollos and HP 9000's, and
for OpenWindows (OPEN LOOK).  And, if you need a draw program, a complete
illustration package is bundled with it.  And, while you're at it, a WYSIWYG
word processor/page layout package is also included.  Island Write, Draw
and Paint are intended to be used for general purpose word processing
and desktop publishing - they are not tech-doc packages. They provide output
to PostScript and the HP Laserjet family.  They are monochrome applications,
and are intended to work together, letting you cut bitmaps or EPS graphics
from Paint and Draw, respectively, and paste them into Write.

The paint package uses TIFF as its native format, but converts (both in and
out) MacPaint, Sun Rasters, Group 3 Fax, CompuServe GIFs, and others.
Paint has great tools for cropping large scanned rasters, and it has
transparent overlay modes and irregular region selection tools.  Paint
doesn't have text, but Draw does; both Draw and Write use Sun's Folio fonts,
outline fonts from 4 to 72 points.

The set costs $995, and is available from Island (800-255-4499 or 415/491-
1000) and from Apollo Direct, and from the HP sales force.

David Newman
Marketing Manager, Island Graphics Corporations' Office Products Division

 Reply to {sun,ucbcad,uunet}!island!dave

rhaar@rcsrlh.GMR.COM (Bob Haar CS50) (01/07/91)

In article <7958@hub.ucsb.edu>, jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:
|> I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
|> really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
|> besides the silly bitmap program.
|>
|> In case there IS something out there, I'd like the ability to draw lines,
|> put in bitmapped text, simple polygons, etc.

This sounds more like what I think of as a drawing program. There is a
pretty good object-oriented draw program called fig ( xfig in its
X11 version) that I use frequently.

|>                                             And output to g3 fax, pcx, or
|> any of the pbm formats.

fig uses it's own format for storing drawings, but comes with a conversion
utility (f2ps) for producing Postscript files. You should be able
to go from this to some bit-mapped representation.

	Bob Haar   CSNET: HAAR@GMR.COM  UUCP: uunet!edsews!rphroy!rcsrlh!rhaar
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (01/08/91)

In article <7958@hub.ucsb.edu> jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) writes:
>I've asked around, and I can't believe what people are telling me!  Is it
>really true that there aren't any simple X-windows paint programs?  I mean
>besides the silly bitmap program.

I think what you need is 'xfig'.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				      mra%srchtec@salestech.com
4725 peachtree corners cir., suite 200		       emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
norcross, georgia 30092					 (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development