[alt.graphics.pixutils] Graphics workstation for computational medical modeling

curtiss@truffula.umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss) (01/23/91)

I am engaged in a project where we will need to visualize a lot of data
produced from some computational models of medical processes. I am not a
graphics person so I am not sure how to specify what we will need exactly
but, suffice it to say, that we are going to need a hi-res color workstation
or a peripheral for a workstation (Sun Sparc, Dec DS5000) that is very fast at
generating graphics. The workstation must also support X windows since the
software for the modeling must be written in X (11r4).

I suspect there are a few of you out there that are doing similar projects so
I would appreciate any names of products and the companies that you think might
be what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance.
--
Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

scheng@cs.utexas.edu (Sheila Cheng) (01/23/91)

If you are looking for fast graphics performance then you can't
beat teh Silicon Graphics GTX and VGX series graphics engines.  I
always operate in their native mode so I dont know about the X
side of things.  As far as I know, the VGX engine is the fastest
commercially available turn-key rendering system around.

okeefe@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul O'Keefe) (02/04/91)

In article <649@rodan.cs.utexas.edu>,
scheng@cs.utexas.edu (Sheila Cheng) writes:

> If you are looking for fast graphics performance then you can't
> beat teh Silicon Graphics GTX and VGX series graphics engines.  I
> always operate in their native mode so I dont know about the X
> side of things.  As far as I know, the VGX engine is the fastest
> commercially available turn-key rendering system around.

I agree that SGI makes the best graphics workstation bar none,
however, as with driving a Mercedes Benz, you PAY for the privilege.
So, I guess the decision comes down to what you need and what you can afford.

If one needs to interactively manipulate a volume rendering of a
256x256x256 data set, then don't hesitate to plunk down
$250k on a high end Silicon Graphics VGX machine.
Of course, you'll have to program it in SGI native graphics
environment GL and DGL (distributed graphics library) in order
to make use of that expensive graphics engine.
And ofcourse, SGI will charge extra for alot of the system software
that they consider optional, like NFS and X11.
Also, SGI's standard university discount is 35% and unless
Maryland is a major SGI customer you're not going to get them
to go any lower.

However, in reading Phil Curtiss's article, I get the impression
that this is not what he's after.
First, he mentions that their going to program in X11.
X11 is a waste on an SGI (it's like using your $50K
Mercedes Benz to deliver pizzas).

Also, he mentions the SPARCstation and DEC DS5000 which
are a good match for X11 software. Both Sun and Dec
offer 24-bit true color options and 3D graphics acceleraters
which can be used with X11. Finally, since Maryland
already has lots of Sun and Dec equipment, he'll
likely be able to get a 50% discount and a free
service contract. A setup like a SPARCstation 390,
a 19 inch Sony monitor, and Sun's high end
grpahics option will cost half that an SGI 240 VGX.
I don't claim that it will be able do 3D interactive
graphics like a SGI 240 VGX (not even close),
but you can display true color images and renderings and some
3D interactive graphics (not real fast).

The bottom line: the SPARCSStation and DECstation are general
pupose techinal workstations. Silicon Graphics makes 3D true color
workstaions with special hardware for fast rendering and interactive
3D graphics. They solve different problems and carry different prices.

-Paul O'Keefe		okeefe@cs.buffalo.edu