[alt.graphics.pixutils] lossless grey scale image compression

mark@dec02.cs.monash.edu.au (Mark Goodwin) (02/15/91)

This is an open invitation to people doing research into the lossless
(exact, not lossy like JPEG) compression of 8 bit grey scale images.

We would like to exchange images and results, especially with
researchers who employ arithmetic encoding [CACM, June 1987]
techniques and anyone with applications specifically requiring lossless
compression. This includes medical imaging, digital cartography, high
resolution applications and other disciplines where loss of detail
can not be tolerated.

We can't really compare our techniques unless we share images!
[Note: no sexy images please].

.. more if/after I get a few replies ..

Mark Goodwin,
Senior Programmer,
Monash Comp. Sci.

A U S T R A L I A.

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/22/91)

In article <mark.666590386@dec02> mark@dec02.cs.monash.edu.au (Mark Goodwin) writes:
>This is an open invitation to people doing research into the lossless
>(exact, not lossy like JPEG) compression of 8 bit grey scale images.
>
>We would like to exchange images and results, especially with
>researchers who employ arithmetic encoding [CACM, June 1987]
>techniques and anyone with applications specifically requiring lossless
>compression. This includes medical imaging, digital cartography, high
>resolution applications and other disciplines where loss of detail
>can not be tolerated.
>
>We can't really compare our techniques unless we share images!
>[Note: no sexy images please].
>
>.. more if/after I get a few replies ..
>
>Mark Goodwin,
>Senior Programmer,
>Monash Comp. Sci.
>
>A U S T R A L I A.

I'm interested in this area, and would like to get some more
information. Unfortunately, I have (for the moment, at least)
nothing to give in return...

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se