[alt.graphics.pixutils] ANSI -> Postscript converter

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (05/17/91)

Hi Netters,

I was wondering if anyone out there had UNIX/C source for a utility that
converts ANSI files to Postscript.  I have need of such a beast.

Thanx in advance
ant

  V   ant                       "I killed Laura Palmer"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
 -O-  Anthony Murdoch           Prentice Centre
 /0\  Phone (07) 36 54078       University of Qld
--

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (05/18/91)

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there had UNIX/C source for a utility that
>converts ANSI files to Postscript.  I have need of such a beast.

Hi Guys 'n Girls,

It's me again with a clarification.  I do know what ANSI is.  I did not
mean ASCII, I did mean ANSI.  A breif description of why I want it
follows;

I have some software that allows you to define simple escape sequences to
put into reports to do things like :
	Underline On,			Underline Off,
	Pitch 10,			Pitch 12,
	Compress On,			Compress Off,
	Enlarge On,			Enlarge Off,
	Start 6 lpi,			Start 8 lpi,
	Bold On,			Bold Off,

So, I want to be able to define some escape sequences and have this
software pipe it through a shell script that does the conversions.  After
playing with it for a while, I have something that works reasonably well
using ptroff, but I can't have underline.

My first thoughts were, get something that converts between say ANSI and
postscript and use ANSI escape sequences.  The same would work for say
Epson FX escape sequences, but the only FX->PS converter I have seen was
for MS-DOS.

Since then I have been wondering if it is possible to do it all in
postscript.  I have a fairly short PS program (thanx to Carl J Lydick)
that you can prepend to text to get it to print.  I feel confident that
this can be made to control characters to do the functions above, but I
don't know enough postscript to do it (it took me half an hour to
understand the <10 lines of code as it was :)

If anyone can five me some suggestions, I would be gratefull.

Ant