[alt.security] Info wanted on Software License Managers

csquared@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Randy Clarke) (07/13/90)

  I'm sorry if you've seen this in another area, but...

  I'm interested in tracking down addresses of software vendors who sell
software license management systems under Unix.  Specifically, I'm
interested in a product similar to the DEC License Management Facility, or
the Elan License Manager.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.:  I've heard that a Company called 'Highland Software' makes a product
of this nature...Has anyone heard of them, or does anyone have their
address?

                                   Thanks,

                                     Randy Clarke

mob@apollo.HP.COM (Mary Bennett) (07/19/90)

In article <33939@ut-emx.UUCP> csquared@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Randy Clarke) writes:

>  I'm interested in tracking down addresses of software vendors who sell
>software license management systems under Unix.  Specifically, I'm
>interested in a product similar to the DEC License Management Facility, or
>the Elan License Manager.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                   Thanks,
>
>                                     Randy Clarke

Hewlett-Packard has a software licensing system that
runs under Unix (and other operating systems), the
Network License Sytem (NetLS).  In fact, NetLS was the
first network software license management system on the
market, coming from Apollo Computer.  It provides a
variety of licensing methods, including concurrent-use
licensing, transaction-based licensing, node-lock
licensing, and site-licensing. NetLS operates in
distributed, multi-vendor computing environments and is
designed to easily and efficiently scale as networks
increase in size and distribution.

In case you are unfamiliar with some of these terms,
concurrent-use licensing controls the number of
concurrent users that can access an application at any
one time, regardless of who the users are and what
machine they are using.  This gives application end
users the ability to purchase only the number of
licenses they require and share those licenses amongst
users around the network. Transaction-based licensing
supports licensing based on number of invocations of
the application, rather than number of concurrent
users.  This is useful for applications that may be
used more sporadically.

For more information on NetLS, please contact myself or
Carol Rosenstock at (508) 256-6600.

Adrienne Paul
Product Marketing Engineer
Network License System