[alt.security] Feedback on Computer Crime

scratch@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Steven J Owens) (08/05/90)

I'd like to ask everybody here for some feedback on the ethical & social
implications of computer crime - on both sides of the coin, the hackers,
crackers and phreakers as well as the law enforcement people, the media, and
the general public who have no idea what it's about.

A few months back there was some discussion of the Secret Service Operation
Sundevil and computer crime in general.  At the time I was interested enough
in finding what was going on, but some posts that discussed computer crime in
general I skipped.  Now, I'm doing a sociology paper about computer crime and
general implications in our society, and I'm hoping that somebody here can
help me out.

Facts and stories and anecdotes would be helpful, but what I'm really looking
for here is OPINIONS, personal reactions and ideas about the general subject.
If you don't mind adding a line about why you're interested in computers and
what kind of experience you have, that would help as well.  Anybody out there
with degrees in Computer Science and Sociology? :-)

Reply directly or post, I'll be watching the newsgroups as well as reading my
mailbox faithfully.  If anybody expresses an interest, the finished paper
will be quite available.  Hope to hear from you soon!

Steven J. Owens    |   Scratch@Pittvms    |   Scratch@unix.cis.pitt.edu

"There's a long hard road and a full, hard drive  :  And a sector there
 where I feel alive  :  Every bit of every byte  :  Is written down once
 on the night  :  Networking, I'm user friendly..."

	-- Warren Zevon, Networking, Transverse City

dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) (08/08/90)

In article <26581@unix.cis.pitt.edu> scratch@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Steven J Owens) writes:
>I'd like to ask everybody here for some feedback on the ethical & social
>implications of computer crime - on both sides of the coin, the hackers,
>crackers and phreakers as well as the law enforcement people, the media, and
>the general public who have no idea what it's about.

>...  Now, I'm doing a sociology paper about computer crime and
>general implications in our society, and I'm hoping that somebody here can
>help me out.
>
>Facts and stories and anecdotes would be helpful, but what I'm really looking
>for here is OPINIONS, personal reactions and ideas about the general subject.
>If you don't mind adding a line about why you're interested in computers and
>what kind of experience you have, that would help as well.  Anybody out there
>with degrees in Computer Science and Sociology? :-)

Well, as a matter of fact, I DO have my degrees in sociology and computer
science (well, I will.  Entering my final year in a month).  I am also an avid
studier of such things as the Hacker phenomenon, and how it has changed over
the years.  I would suggest your reading Hackers, by Steven Levy, but Im sure
that you have probably already done so, it is after all a classic in the field.

As Levy says, the hackers of yesteryear simply don't exist today.  People
wanted the free exchange of information for the good of all, not for profit.
If you wrote a good program, you gave it to everyone because you were proud of
it, and if someone took your code and changed it so that it was better well,
then, good for them.  You were proud for them as well.  But today people don't
circulate software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.
Its not a case of "Hey, I just got the new Sierra game, lets look at their
animation algorithm and see if we can implement it in our game", its more like
"If I get this home from the store and copy the manuall, then I can return it
and give you guys all the copies you want. "  Hardly the same thing.  If thats
what the definition of hacking is today, and it certainly seems to be, then
the original idea is completed vanished.

I dont think I necessarily approve of the Hacker Ethic:  for the most part,
I think some of the original followers of the ethic were simply nuts.  Maybe
fanatic is a better word, or obsessed or compulsive.  Everything was a
personal challenge, a new obstacle to overcome.  A robotic arm next to a
computer was a challenge to write something to control that arm; a locked door
on a computer lab was a challlenge to get into that lab after hours; a
password system was a challenge to look at other people's accounts.  These
challenges were met simply for the sake of meeting them, not causing havoc.
Any hacker worth his salt could easily crack a password security system and
get into any account he chose, but he wouldnt.  That was abuse of the privilege
and it just wasnt done.  Nowadays, wreaking havoc seems to be an end to itself.

The power given to someone who has such control over a computer is very great
power, and should be put under some sort of control.  There are incredible
guidelines written up in college handbooks, industry contracts, and even ACM
and IEEE for standards and practices, but a true hacker will simply break
these rules because of the sole fact that they are there to be broken.  "As
long as I can do something and not get caught, Im better than you people." A
cheap attempt at self security, from a psychological standpoint.

I dont want to start a flame war here, so please dont anyone misunderstand
me.  The term 'hacker' has gone through lots of changes in the years that it
has been around, and my use of it refers mainly to what Levy calls the first
generation hackers.  (For a better example, read the book).  Anyone who
considers themself a hacker and feels insulted by my comments, feel free
to comment back but please know the context that I am using the term in,
as opposed to the way that you are using it.

Those are my opinions.  Anyone else?

(If the gentleman that posted the original article is still interested in my
 opinions, I would appreciate his mailing a response back to me.  I could
 take up pages and pages with stories and opinions, but I dont want to waste
 the bandwidth doing so.  )

>Steven J. Owens    |   Scratch@Pittvms    |   Scratch@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>
>"There's a long hard road and a full, hard drive  :  And a sector there
> where I feel alive  :  Every bit of every byte  :  Is written down once
> on the night  :  Networking, I'm user friendly..."
>
>	-- Warren Zevon, Networking, Transverse City

Duane Morin --- Society/Technology Studies
                Worcester Polytechnic Institutute

de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (08/08/90)

In article <14443@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu writes:

>As Levy says, the hackers of yesteryear simply don't exist today.

What about the last of the hackers, Richard Stallman?  Did you read
the chapter about him in _Hackers_?

>If you wrote a good program, you gave it to everyone because you were proud of
>it, and if someone took your code and changed it so that it was better well,
>then, good for them.  You were proud for them as well.  But today people don't
>circulate software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.

Stallman, and *many* GNU supporters would beg to differ.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) (08/09/90)

In article <9008081452.AA18175@stc06.CTD.ORNL.GOV> de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:
>In article <14443@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
>>
>>As Levy says, the hackers of yesteryear simply don't exist today.
>
>What about the last of the hackers, Richard Stallman?  Did you read
>the chapter about him in _Hackers_?

I understood Levy's opinion of Stallman to be that he was the last of a dying
breed, trying to fight for an ethic that was as good as gone.  I may, of course, be wrong, but that is what I got out of that section.

>>If you wrote a good program, you gave it to everyone because you were proud of
>>it, and if someone took your code and changed it so that it was better well,
>>then, good for them.  You were proud for them as well.  But today people don't
>>circulate software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.
>
>Stallman, and *many* GNU supporters would beg to differ.

You took that quote out of context.  I went on to say that people circulate
software most notably in piracy, such as trying to get the newest game to as
many of their friends as possible.  There are even bulletin board operators
who support themselves by alowing pirated software to circulate their boards.
I fully agree that people will support the type of 'groupware' thing that
Stalman tried to create with GNU, but simply that it will never flourish like
it could when people can get the new Sierra game, which is definitively the
state of the art in adventure games, for free, or something written by a
handful of high school kids after school which simply isnt as good.  Some
do work, granted (Minix comes to mind immediately), but I dont think that the
quality of the freeware in the world will ever match the commerical stuff.

>--
>Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
>Martin Marietta Energy Systems
>Workstation Support

Duane Morin

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (08/09/90)

In article <14443@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
> People wanted the free exchange of information for the good of all,
> not for profit.  If you wrote a good program, you gave it to
> everyone because you were proud of it, and if someone took your code
> and changed it so that it was better well, then, good for them.  You
> were proud for them as well.  But today people don't circulate
> software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.

This must come as quite a surprise to the moderators of the various
comp.sources groups.  I wonder what all that stuff in my archives is...

	...tad

In article <TADGUY.90Aug9092147@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

>This must come as quite a surprise to the moderators of the various
>comp.sources groups.  I wonder what all that stuff in my archives is...
>
>	...tad

Oh, do you happen to have WordPerfect, MS Word, Microsoft Windows, or the
newest five Sierra games?  If you dont, Im sure I can find a bulletin board
(that CHARGES for time), that does.

FOR EVERYONE THAT IS SENDING ME VARIOUS EXAMPLES OF WHERE I SCREWED UP:

   I fully support the people that do in fact encourage the hacker ethic.
I see one more letter with the word GNU in it Ill scream.  What I would rather
here people talk about is what they think of the people who do NOT adhere to
such ethics, which is what I understood the original post to mean.  I am
most definitely pessimistic about computer ethics today, and I hope that
people can understand why.  I cant honestly believe that everyone who is
flaming me thinks that there is NO piracy in the world, or that there is so
little that it does not need to be considered?  People seem to be focusing on
one or the other, but no one has compared them both yet.  If someone can
tell me that there are 10 times as many GNU supporters as pirates (and
document it), I will consider that a useful post.  But everyone who tries to
claim that all free software is distributed through comp.sources is
generalizing just as bad as I did.

 Have fun with that.

DDM

de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (08/09/90)

In article <14462@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
>>>As Levy says, the hackers of yesteryear simply don't exist today.
>>
>>What about the last of the hackers, Richard Stallman?  Did you read
>>the chapter about him in _Hackers_?
>
>I understood Levy's opinion of Stallman to be that he was the last of
>a dying breed, trying to fight for an ethic that was as good as gone.

You said `the hackers of yesteryear simply don't exist today'.  I
provided a counterexample to that statement.  Stallman's just the most
visible of them.

>>>If you wrote a good program, you gave it to everyone because you
>>>were proud of it, and if someone took your code and changed it so
>>>that it was better well, then, good for them.  You were proud for
>>>them as well.  But today people don't circulate software for the
>>>good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.
>>
>>Stallman, and *many* GNU supporters would beg to differ.
>
>You took that quote out of context.

I'm afraid I don't see how the context I removed could have changed
the meaning of the above.  Do you, or do you not, claim that `today
people don't circulate software for the good of all concerned'?  If
so, the Free Software Foundation is a shining counterexample, as are
the hundreds of others whose code sits in archives on uunet, tut, and
various other archive sites.

>I went on to say that people circulate software most notably in
>piracy, such as trying to get the newest game to as many of their
>friends as possible.

You might consider piracy the `most notable' form of software
circulation, but what are your criteria?  Certainly more software is
circulated through the commercial software market.

>I fully agree that people will support the type of 'groupware' thing
>that Stalman tried to create with GNU,

The use of the past tense there is incorrect, the GNU project is very
much alive and making great progress.

>but simply that it will never flourish like it could when people can
>get the new Sierra game, which is definitively the state of the art
>in adventure games, for free, or something written by a handful of
>high school kids after school which simply isnt as good.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say there.  Could you
rephrase it?

>Some do work, granted (Minix comes to mind immediately), but I dont
>think that the quality of the freeware in the world will ever match
>the commerical stuff.

Patent nonsense.  GNU Emacs is far superior to the commercial
alternatives; a UNIX Review comparison of GNU and Unipress Emacsen
backs that claim.  The GNU C Compiler outperforms many commercial
compilers and is the standard compiler for NeXT and DG AViiON systems.
The X Window System as distributed by the MIT X Consortium is not only
commercial quality, but is in fact the basis of most--if not
all--commercial X software.

Commercial software is not inherently superior to freeware.  Don't
underestimate the effort a dedicated hacker will put into his freely
distributed work.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems
Workstation Support

> >If you wrote a good program, you gave it to everyone because you were proud of
> >it, and if someone took your code and changed it so that it was better well,
> >then, good for them.  You were proud for them as well.  But today people don't
> >circulate software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.

> Stallman, and *many* GNU supporters would beg to differ.

And so would I, as a GNU opponent. The restrictive licensing of the GNU
copyleft are *not* the only, *nor* the best, way of getting your code out
to as many people as possible. There are people out there who have taken
free code I have written and put it into commercial programs. I'm proud of
them as well... for taking a program and putting the time and effort needed
to make it part of a real product. If I'd have used the GNU copyleft, they
wouldn't have been able to do that. And the world would have been a poorer
place for it. Some people *need* shrink-wrapped turnkey systems... and they
*do* cost money to produce.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jeffd@ficc.ferranti.com (Jeff Daiell) (08/09/90)

In article <9008081452.AA18175@stc06.CTD.ORNL.GOV>, de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:
> In article <14443@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
> >

> >...   But today people
> >don't
> >circulate software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal
> >gain.
>
> Stallman, and *many* GNU supporters would beg to differ.

But there's a difference between working for a goal other than personal
gain, and getting hysterical because someone *else* works for personal
gain.

Jeff

--

            I'm not worried about anyone shooting me.

             I know how people hate to wait in line.

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (08/09/90)

>In article <14443@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
>>But today people don't circulate
>> software for the good of al concerned, they do it for personal gain.

      There are definitely more people writing useful, free software today
than at any previous time.  It's just a smaller percentage of the total.
In what some people here seem to think of as the "golden age of hacking",
the phenomenon was confined to a few dozen people at each of a few major
universities, simply because one needed access to big iron to write anything.

					John Nagle

howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) (08/10/90)

In article <14467@wpi.wpi.edu>, dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
|> In article <TADGUY.90Aug9092147@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov>
tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

|> >This must come as quite a surprise to the moderators of the various
|> >comp.sources groups.  I wonder what all that stuff in my archives is...
|> >
|> >	...tad
|>
|> Oh, do you happen to have WordPerfect, MS Word, Microsoft Windows, or the
|> newest five Sierra games?  If you dont, Im sure I can find a bulletin board
|> (that CHARGES for time), that does.
|>
|> FOR EVERYONE THAT IS SENDING ME VARIOUS EXAMPLES OF WHERE I SCREWED UP:
|>
|>    I fully support the people that do in fact encourage the hacker ethic.
|> I see one more letter with the word GNU in it Ill scream.  What I
would rather
|> here people talk about is what they think of the people who do NOT adhere to
|> such ethics, which is what I understood the original post to mean.  I am
|> most definitely pessimistic about computer ethics today, and I hope that
|> people can understand why.  I cant honestly believe that everyone who is
|> [...]

Could you tell me why in the world I would WANT copies of WordPerfect, MS Word,
and MS Windows?  :-)  As for the games, I can't say, never having played them.
I can say, though, that I've never encountered a computer game that was as
much fun to play as it must have been to write.

\begin{tirade}
I think there are just as many "true hackers" out there now as there ever
were.  There's lot's of good free software available, as anyone with access
to USENET, Netlib, etc. can easily verify.  The difference is that the
total base of computer users, and the amount of money to be made from
software, has grown much faster than the set of hackers.  Any geek can
pirate a program today, whereas in the past said geek would probably not
have had access to a computer at all.  In the Good Old Days (tm) you had to
actually know something about computers to use them; now all you need is
to understand an on/off switch.  That's the low-end of the problem.  The
high-end is that software has become big business.  The goals of many
in the industry have gone from "getting things done" to "making money at it".
Hoards of lawyers, accountants, and similar vermin have been attracted to
the bright lights, and have done their best to corrupt the whole enterprise.
More dedicated people are working at it now than ever before, but there are
now more scum than good people.
\end{tirade}

Louis Howell

#include <std.disclaimer>

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (08/10/90)

In article <TADGUY.90Aug9092147@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov> Tad Guy writes:
> This must come as quite a surprise to the moderators of the various
> comp.sources groups.  I wonder what all that stuff in my archives is...

In article <14467@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
> Oh, do you happen to have WordPerfect, MS Word, Microsoft Windows,
> or the newest five Sierra games?  If you dont, Im sure I can find a
> bulletin board (that CHARGES for time), that does.

That's nice.  Enjoy them.  I'm not interested.

I archive free software.

I have a hard time trying to prevent my archives from overflowing with the
stuff -- and it's software distributed without concern for personal gain.

> But everyone who tries to claim that all free software is distributed
> through comp.sources is generalizing just as bad as I did.

Whew.  I'm glad I didn't make that generalization in my response...

	...tad

In article <9008091507.AA06792@stc06.CTD.ORNL.GOV> de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:
> Commercial software is not inherently superior to freeware.  Don't
> underestimate the effort a dedicated hacker will put into his freely
> distributed work.

The difference between commercial software and freeware is packaging and
handholding. The time the freeware developer puts into features, the
commercial developer puts into polish.

How much is that polish worth? Well, that's the core of the debate...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <14467@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
>    I fully support the people that do in fact encourage the hacker ethic.
> I see one more letter with the word GNU in it Ill scream.  What I would rather
> here people talk about is what they think of the people who do NOT adhere to
> such ethics, which is what I understood the original post to mean.

The problem we're having here is that piracy is simply irrelevant to the
hacker ethic. It's carried on by people in a whole other world than the
hacker, by people who create nothing and soil their own bed by what they
do. It's no wonder that people prefer not to talk about the petty criminals
that the media calls "hackers". They're guilty of the ultimite crime: they
are boring.

There are undoubtedly many more pirates than freeware developers, just as
there are more car thieves than automotive designers. Would you criticise
an article in Car and Driver about the new Porsche on the grounds that it
didn't give equal time to chop shops?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

wolfe@wolves.uucp (G. Wolfe Woodbury) (08/10/90)

In <14462@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:

>I understood Levy's opinion of Stallman to be that he was the last of a dying
>breed, trying to fight for an ethic that was as good as gone.  I may,
>of course, be wrong, but that is what I got out of that section.
>
>You took that quote out of context.  I went on to say that people circulate
>software most notably in piracy, such as trying to get the newest game to as
>many of their friends as possible.  There are even bulletin board operators
>who support themselves by alowing pirated software to circulate their boards.

	There are *some* EBBS operators who operate in contravention to
both the law and the current community standards regarding the theft of
property.  But to imply that they constitute a majority or even a
significant minority is to fall prey to simple media hype.  As an EBBS
sysop, and as a computing professional, who takes carefull pains to know
what is going on in and around my communities, I can assert that the
pirate EBBSs are definitely a fringe phenomenon.

	Unfortunately, this fringe group (like the 1% "outlaw bikers")
is siezed on by the media and promoted as if they were the paradigm of
all EBBS operators and users.  I suspect that the administration at
wpi.edu would insist very strongly that one user there is totally
representative of the whole institution.

>I fully agree that people will support the type of 'groupware' thing that
>Stalman tried to create with GNU, but simply that it will never flourish like
>it could when people can get the new Sierra game, which is definitively the
>state of the art in adventure games, for free,

	This, again, assumes that the majority of computer users want to
get something of value for free.  The old adage that "something free is
usually worth what you pay for it" represents a feeling that cuts both
ways.  (You use its negative sense in your next phrase, discussed
below.)   It's positive sense however is that even if user's think a
product is overpriced, they are willing to pay for that product if it is
made easy to do so.  Some shareware authors may go broke waiting for the
payments to roll in, others succeed quite well.

>                                               or something written by a
>handful of high school kids after school which simply isnt as good.  Some
>do work, granted (Minix comes to mind immediately), but I dont think that the
>quality of the freeware in the world will ever match the commerical stuff.

	This is the negative side of the adage mentioned above.  I don't
know what you are basing your evaluation of "freeware" as being
hopelessly inferior in quality, but the quality of a number of freeware
packages surpasses that of come of the similar stuff that is
"commercial" and therefore (supposedly) "more professional".  As an
example, several vendors offer some kind of e-mail front end for various
flavors of 80386 Unix, having evaluated several of these packages, I
selected to use the freeware "ELM Mail System" because of its
portability, flexibilty and level of support available.

	A large number of people reading this newsgroup are also
probably quite upset to see their work called sophomoric or worse by
someone who is apparantly not competent to make that judgement.

	Oh, by the way, the GNU project is alive and well. (Go ahead and
scream.)
--
G. Wolfe Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!wolfe   ...mcnc!wolves!wolfe         [use the maps!]

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (08/10/90)

Peter da Silva writes:
#And so would I, as a GNU opponent. The restrictive licensing of the GNU
#copyleft are *not* the only, *nor* the best, way of getting your code out
#to as many people as possible.

Who ever claimed that it was?

# There are people out there who have taken
#free code I have written and put it into commercial programs. I'm proud of
#them as well... for taking a program and putting the time and effort needed
#to make it part of a real product. If I'd have used the GNU copyleft, they
#wouldn't have been able to do that.

I would call the Next a "real" product, and they use GNU.

#Some people *need* shrink-wrapped turnkey systems... and they
#*do* cost money to produce.

I agree that there are people who need turnkey systems, but I don't
see why they *need* a shrink-wrapped system. Also, you are prefectly
allowed to charge for GNU products, you just can't restrict
distribution of the sources.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

In article <1990Aug10.035033.2122@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
> # There are people out there who have taken
> #free code I have written and put it into commercial programs. I'm proud of
> #them as well... for taking a program and putting the time and effort needed
> #to make it part of a real product. If I'd have used the GNU copyleft, they
> #wouldn't have been able to do that.

> I would call the Next a "real" product, and they use GNU.

They use separate, individual GNU programs. That's a small subset of the
possible ways someone can use my code. They can use it as a library routine,
for example (in fact, that's how they're using it). With GNU code if you
can't somehow package it into a separate executable you lose.

> #Some people *need* shrink-wrapped turnkey systems... and they
> #*do* cost money to produce.

> I agree that there are people who need turnkey systems, but I don't
> see why they *need* a shrink-wrapped system.  Also, you are prefectly
> allowed to charge for GNU products, you just can't restrict
> distribution of the sources.

People need to be able to go into a computer store, put down money, and
take a box home that they are reasonably assured of being able to load and
run first time. That takes a lot of effort to produce from the typical
component-stereo sort of freeware. Why go to that effort if someone can just
take the sources, type "make", repackage it, and undercut you?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jeffd@ficc.ferranti.com (jeff daiell) (08/10/90)

I find absolutely appalling the irrational premise that those who
wish to be paid for their software work are 'scum'.  This is sheer
-- and pernicious -- idiocy, as is any attempt to compare them to
the pirates who steal the software work of others.

Jeff

--

ken@animal.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) (08/10/90)

In article <14467@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:

=> Oh, do you happen to have WordPerfect, MS Word, Microsoft Windows, or the
=> newest five Sierra games?

Nope.  Nor have I any interest in them.

=> I see one more letter with the word GNU in it Ill scream.

OK.  TeX.  X11.

Guess why I have no interest in WordPerfect :-)

In fact, I was once forced to use WP in a professional project, and let
me assure you that it was a nightmare.  This was an interdisciplinary,
University-wide grant proposal, with the contributors of text being as
many rugged individualists (i.e. academic scientists) as I've ever seen
on any collaborative project.

You can bet that if I get sucked into such a quagmire in future, I'll
insist on using real tools instead of some wimpy word processor on
steroids.

=> ...  What I would rather
=> here people talk about is what they think of the people who do NOT adhere to
=> such ethics, which is what I understood the original post to mean.

Comments on computer crime reserved for a hypothetical future post.

What Duane has discovered here is that whenever someone is perceived to
equate "hacker" with "criminal," the _real_ hackers are likely to become
annoyed, and may reach for the CONTROL-META-FLAMETHROWER key.

I say _perceived_, as in <14443@wpi.wpi.edu>:
=> ... If thats
=> what the definition of hacking is today, and it certainly seems to be...
--
     Ken Sallenger / ken@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-9334
     Computer Services Division / 1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208

ops@ayov27.enet.dec.com (Joseph Early) (08/11/90)

In article <14467@wpi.wpi.edu>, dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes...
>In article <TADGUY.90Aug9092147@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:
>>  I wonder what all that stuff in my archives is...
>
>Oh, do you happen to have WordPerfect, MS Word, Microsoft Windows, or the
>newest five Sierra games?  If you dont, Im sure I can find a bulletin board
>(that CHARGES for time), that does.

Are you advocating a criminal act here?

Why are you so hung up on games, by the way ?

Joseph Early - Put my name in subject of mail. Support the short .sig campaign.
...!unido!decum!ayov27.dnet!ops 		...!ukc!wessex!ayov27.enet!ops

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (08/11/90)

In article <14462@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:

> I understood Levy's opinion of Stallman to be that he was the last of a dying
> breed, trying to fight for an ethic that was as good as gone.  I may, of
> course, be wrong, but that is what I got out of that section.

That very well may have been what Levy was trying to say about Stallman,
but I think *this* network (USENET) is perfect evidence that *Levy's* wrong.

> You took that quote out of context.  I went on to say that people circulate
> software most notably in piracy, such as trying to get the newest game to as
> many of their friends as possible.  There are even bulletin board operators
> who support themselves by alowing pirated software to circulate their boards.
> I fully agree that people will support the type of 'groupware' thing that
> Stalman tried to create with GNU, but simply that it will never flourish like
> it could when people can get the new Sierra game, which is definitively the
> state of the art in adventure games, for free, or something written by a
> handful of high school kids after school which simply isnt as good.  Some
> do work, granted (Minix comes to mind immediately), but I dont think that the
> quality of the freeware in the world will ever match the commerical stuff.

USENET is one of the biggest computer networks in the world.  USENET
isn't a network in the same sense that the INTERNET or BITNET or UUCPNET
is, but is an application implemented on top of all of these networks.
Through gateways USENET accessibility is far wider than any other single net.

One of the most interesting things about USENET is that questionable
activities of BBS's (such as software piracy, calling card numbers etc.)
are almost completely non-existent.  And when they do occur, they're roundly
denounced, and physical steps to correct the situation (such as removal
of software) invariably follow.  Because such activities are so glaringly
obvious when they occur.

Secondly, as is obvious from the software flow on USENET, there are literally
thousands of people with similar attitudes towards software as Stallman
has.  I'm not talking the whole GNU-manifesto thing, I'm talking about the
willingness to make the fruits of their labors *available* to everyone
on the net.  Certainly many people retain copyright ownership of the software
they post, but almost invariably the copyright notice says "you can do anything
you want with this software except make money off it".  Certainly it's
a bit of an ego trip to see lots of people using your software (hi psroff
users!), but so what?  It's constructive...

And finally, most of the software distributed on USENET isn't of particularly
high quality.  For the simple reason that people wrote the software to
fulfill a specific task in a specific environment, and the facts of life
(such as eating, and a roof over your head) preclude spending the time
necessary to make a truly polished product.  The average quality of USENET
distributed software is somewhat higher than what you see on BBS's
for the simple reason that USENET users tended to be computer professionals
with long experience rather than high school BASIC hackers which were
more typical of a BBS.  This is changing somewhat because USENET is growing
like it is, and the "average" poster is less experienced than used to be.
BUT....

SOME of the stuff that goes by on USENET FAR exceeds commercial standards.
Having been in this industry for almost 20 years I've seen what commercial
standards are really like, though I'll refrain from mentioning my personal
hit list of stupid commercial developers.  What I will mention instead are
some of the triumphs of the non-commercial world, much of which is available via
USENET: Perl, B-news, C-news, rn, nn, TeX, Minix, tons of GNU stuff,
(dare I add psroff? ;-), and most importantly, UNIX itself (UNIX wasn't
a commercial venture for many years, most of the most valuable innovation was
done under public funding, or as backroom "have fun" research).  One need
only see how much of this stuff is being adopted by commercial vendors
to see how highly these packages are thought of.  Not to mention that
many of these packages run on more platforms than any single-vendor's package
*EVER* has.

And besides, even some of the crummiest USENET software is supported better
than most commercial stuff.  How long did it take ALL of the vendors to
REALLY fix the holes exploited by the Internet worm?  Much too long.
But if you had source, you could have fixed it the *same day* that
the holes were identified during the attack, because of the people working
on it.  Or, another example: Larry's support of Perl.  Often same day
source fixes or at least a workaround.  Without song and dance about license
numbers....
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

rh@smds.UUCP (Richard Harter) (08/11/90)

In article <9008091507.AA06792@stc06.CTD.ORNL.GOV>, de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) writes:

> >Some do work, granted (Minix comes to mind immediately), but I dont
> >think that the quality of the freeware in the world will ever match
> >the commerical stuff.

> Patent nonsense.  GNU Emacs is far superior to the commercial
> alternatives; a UNIX Review comparison of GNU and Unipress Emacsen
> backs that claim.  The GNU C Compiler outperforms many commercial
> compilers and is the standard compiler for NeXT and DG AViiON systems.
> The X Window System as distributed by the MIT X Consortium is not only
> commercial quality, but is in fact the basis of most--if not
> all--commercial X software.

Some would claim that the problem with X Windows is that it is of
commercial quality.  :-)

> Commercial software is not inherently superior to freeware.  Don't
> underestimate the effort a dedicated hacker will put into his freely
> distributed work.

Some comments.  The creator of freeware has an intrinsic advantage
over the commercial vendor -- his costs are lower.  This is more
important than you might think.  Commercial software must sell for
enough to pay for development, for sales, advertising, equipment,
the corporate infrastructure, training, manuals, etc.  The slice
of the budget that goes for development in a commercial vendor is
much smaller than that of a freeware developer (or organization.)

The catch in freeware is not the intrinsic quality of the software
which may be, as you note, quite high.  What freeware generally lacks
is the user support infrastructure (professionally written manuals,
user support hot-lines, etc.)  The result is that successful freeware
is restricted to niches.
--
Richard Harter, Software Maintenance and Development Systems, Inc.
Net address: jjmhome!smds!rh Phone: 508-369-7398

rburns@cup.portal.com (Randy J Burns) (08/12/90)

I've thought that a lot of the aspects of computer
technology could do a lot to seriously change the
banking and finance system. I find it very interesting
the that hero of this summers box office hit is
a Ghost that uses electronic funds transfer to snag
the movies villians (I'm thinking of the movie Ghost).

My guess is the extremly easy counterfieting, technologies
that tend to put more power into local hands and
inability to keep secrets could topple many of the economic
powers-that-be.  I wonder how long until we until we really
do have the 90's electronic equivalent of Bonnie and Clyde.
Frankly, when the causes of the  S&L crisis become widely
known electronic vigilantism could well become widely accepted.
There are several fairly large companies run
by known mobsters(some of whom were also involved in
the S&L scam). I honestly doubt if the FBI would do much if
suddenly these companies found that they just couldn't keep
anything in the company secret or for that matter running.

lush@EE.MsState.Edu (Edward Luke) (08/13/90)

In article <WS35XWE@ficc.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   > #Some people *need* shrink-wrapped turnkey systems... and they
   > #*do* cost money to produce.

   > I agree that there are people who need turnkey systems, but I don't
   > see why they *need* a shrink-wrapped system.  Also, you are prefectly
   > allowed to charge for GNU products, you just can't restrict
   > distribution of the sources.

   People need to be able to go into a computer store, put down money, and
   take a box home that they are reasonably assured of being able to load and
   run first time. That takes a lot of effort to produce from the typical
   component-stereo sort of freeware. Why go to that effort if someone can just
   take the sources, type "make", repackage it, and undercut you?

Exactly!  That is the idea behind GNU, maximum benifit to the USER.
What you are saying just means that I will be able to buy software for
a small amount over the distribution costs.  Basically if you sell
your packaged system for too high a profit level, someone else would
come in and undercut you.  True free enterprise.  Now if you had shown
yourself as particularly competent at consulting also, you should be
able to up your stakes (profit), again good for the users since it
motivates the suppliers to be competetive in terms of services with a
minimum of re-invention.

   --
   Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
   +1 713 274 5180.   'U`

Ed Luke
Mississippi State University
Research Center for Complex Field Simulations

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (08/14/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Aug10.035033.2122@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:

>>	[ stuff deleted ]

>They [ NeXT ] use separate, individual GNU programs. That's a small subset of
>possible ways someone can use my code. They can use it as a library routine,
>for example (in fact, that's how they're using it). With GNU code if you
>can't somehow package it into a separate executable you lose.

	Well, not exactly.  If you can't package it into a separate
	executable, you have to distribute your additions to the
	whole world.  Not exactly the same as saying that you can't
	do it, only that you have to share.  More like, "if you want
	to use what we give you, you've got to give us what you've
	done, and let us do with it as we wish."

>> I agree that there are people who need turnkey systems, but I don't
>> see why they *need* a shrink-wrapped system.  Also, you are prefectly
>> allowed to charge for GNU products, you just can't restrict
>> distribution of the sources.

	No, you're not allowed to charge for GNU products.  You're only
	allowed to charge a "reasonable" distribution fee, to compensate
	you for your costs in getting it to the user.

>People need to be able to go into a computer store, put down money, and
>take a box home that they are reasonably assured of being able to load and
>run first time. That takes a lot of effort to produce from the typical
>component-stereo sort of freeware. Why go to that effort if someone can just
>take the sources, type "make", repackage it, and undercut you?

	Well, if someone is undercutting you by using cheaper
	components, but offer the same quality product, join
	'em!  If they can undercut you even though you're both
	using the same components, well, that's what capitalism
	is all about.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

jbw@zeb.uswest.com (Joe Wells) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.183623.25045@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:

   peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
   >They [ NeXT ] use separate, individual GNU programs. That's a small
   >subset of possible ways someone can use my code. They can use it as a
   >library routine, for example (in fact, that's how they're using it).
   >With GNU code if you can't somehow package it into a separate
   >executable you lose.

	   Well, not exactly.  If you can't package it into a separate
	   executable, you have to distribute your additions to the
	   whole world.  Not exactly the same as saying that you can't
	   do it, only that you have to share.  More like, "if you want
	   to use what we give you, you've got to give us what you've
	   done, and let us do with it as we wish."

The Free Software Foundation is considering distributing their libraries
with a more lenient license.  If/when they do this, you will be able to
distribute a binary linked with their libraries as long as you distribute
object modules for the non-GNU portion so that the users can relink.

Note, this will only apply to GNU's libraries.

	   No, you're not allowed to charge for GNU products.  You're only
	   allowed to charge a "reasonable" distribution fee, to compensate
	   you for your costs in getting it to the user.

You can charge any amount of $$$ for a GNU product that you want to.
However, if you charge too much, you will make at most one sale, because
the first person to whom you sell can resell to anyone else for whatever
price they want to.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@uswest.com>
Copyright 1990 Joe Wells.  All rights reserved.  Permission is granted to

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (08/15/90)

In article <WS35XWE@ficc.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>People need to be able to go into a computer store, put down money, and
>take a box home that they are reasonably assured of being able to load and
>run first time. That takes a lot of effort to produce from the typical
>component-stereo sort of freeware. Why go to that effort if someone can just
>take the sources, type "make", repackage it, and undercut you?

Just because Peter da Silva doesn't think it will work doesn't mean it
won't work. Cygnus makes money providing "shrink-wrapped"
distributions and support of GNU software, for big organizations. If
there really is a need, then you can make money doing it. If there
isn't a need, then you shouldn't go to the effort.

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

braum@Sol33.essex.ac.uk (Branscombe M P C) (08/16/90)

for hacking in the modern sense - ie breaking into systems and so on - good recent books are
Data Theft by Hugo Cornwall, author of The Hackers Handbook
Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll - legion of Doom meets DARPAnet dtuff
Beating the System/Inside the system or some such - author is (Ithink) something Khan

My personal opinion - as a programmer (Prolog etc) and a journalist - is that it divides into straight crime - ripping off computer time/data - power play - look what I can do - and hmmm, what's in here - hello mr Sysop, I found a security loophole by doing x,y,z

recent anecdotes - the hacker at one of the London colleges (?Royal Mary &Westfield?) who erased various file, including data belonging to RNIB

Mary Branscombe

braum@Sol33.essex.ac.uk (Branscombe M P C) (08/16/90)

the differences between commercial software and free/shareware are - backup services. guarantees. fixing bugs in the code 5 years later. teaching you how to use the product. updates

If I can get an expensive expert system shell from a company that will continue to support the product, or a free system from I-don't-know-where with no-one to help in even six months time - what should I invest my programming effort in?
Mary Branscombe
(disclaimer - well I claim I wrote dis)

I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (08/16/90)

braum@essex.ac.uk (Branscombe M P C) writes:
> the differences between commercial software and free/shareware are -
> backup services.  guarantees. fixing bugs in the code 5 years later.
> teaching you how to use the product. updates

Truly.  ``I seem to have lost my master of release 5 for an XYZZY box.
Could you generate me a BACKUP?''  ``I'm afraid we don't support
software that old, have you considered getting release 93?''

Or better.  ``This software doesn't work.  I'd like to claim under
GUARANTEE.''  ``What?  No fitness of purpose is warrented...''

Or better.  ``I'd like an UPDATE release of AIX to FIX the BUGS on my
PC/RT''.  ``I'm sorry, but have you considered buying a 6000?''.

Of course, when you buy a binary license for some software and the
software house goes bust, your position is completely safe.  And when
the vendor of your proprietory system goes under or withdraws support,
you'll find no commercial issues at all.

Those who know what com_err_, ioa_ and hcs_$terminate mean will realise
the worth of long term committment to product.

ian

hsu@hutcs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) (08/17/90)

In article <3990@servax0.essex.ac.uk> braum@essex.ac.uk (Branscombe M P C) writes:
>the differences between commercial software and free/shareware are -
>backup services. guarantees. fixing bugs in the code 5 years later.
>teaching you how to use the product. updates

True, these are the reasons why I avoid commercial software by all means,
as no commercial institution I have worked with has been able to provide
working producs, backup services (doesn't work and you must get it working
by monday? Sorry, can't help, but we will forward your report to
headquarters), guarantees (fix bugs? Haha, sure, $100/hr, beta in 6
months), fixing bugs in the code 5 years later (Yes, you can have the
current version for modest $200 upgrade fee. I don't know if it fixes this
problem, though?), teaching me how to use the product (Typically I end up
teaching them). In time you get them to supply you a copy of lint compiled
with MAXSYMBOLS more than 1024 (6 hours * $80/hr + $50 for expenses) you
have written one yourself. Best results I have got by calling states but
that becomes kinda expensive in long term. In Europe FSF style software
probably has better ground than in the U.S.

This might be a bit colored view, business software isn't really my field,
I'm quite developer-oriented. I admit it is somewhat different in the world
of Lotuses and ms-dos.

-
Heikki Suonsivu, @ 2:504/1, Kuutamokatu 5 A 7/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@otax.tky.hut.fi (or @hutcs.hut.fi or @clinet.fi), mcsun!hutcs!hsu,
riippu SN, voice +358-0-8030017, Email preferable.

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug16.212327.7799@santra.uucp>
   hsu@hutcs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:
>True, these are the reasons why I avoid commercial software by all means,
>as no commercial institution I have worked with has been able to provide
>working producs, backup services ...
>
>This might be a bit colored view, business software isn't really my field,
>I'm quite developer-oriented. I admit it is somewhat different in the world
>of Lotuses and ms-dos.

I am a firm believer in white bicycles and free software, but the above
argument shoots itself in the foot. The reason there is professional,
mass supported quality off-the-shelf software in the MS-DOS world is
probably *PRECISELY* because that culture has been disconnected from the
"free" "user-supported" "hacker" culture.

Look at the difference between VMS and SUN. VMS comes with a software
support contract that maximizes your performance, and provides an
escalation mechanism if your system does not work. SUN tries to mimic
this, but the telephone support center takes up to 3 days to return your
call.

The availability of self-help and floating-around software that enables
you (with lots of work) to come up with your own workarounds undercuts
the ability of the vendor to make support profitable. This is a classic
example of how a free market system is less efficient than a well-run
monopoly.

The counter argument of course is that monopolies are usually not
well-run.

Since this has nothing to do with security or computer folklore, I have
redirected followups away from alt.security and alt.folklore.computers.

--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM