[alt.security] Should Dan post full details of his tty bugs?

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (05/02/91)

In article <26844:May100:59:2591@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>I'd love to hear from anyone who can propose a simpler set of fixes
>that can still be proven to work.

While it seems likely that Dan's fixes are perfectly good, it wouldn't
be surprising if full discussion here led to further improvements (and
perhaps the discovery of other bugs).  If vendors are (for once) going
to incorporate these changes it would be good to subject them to the
most rigorous scrutiny.

For this reason I believe it would be best for Dan to post full details
of the various loopholes.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

chogan@maths.tcd.ie (Christine Hogan) (05/04/91)

In <4601@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

>For this reason I believe it would be best for Dan to post full details
>of the various loopholes.
I disagree.  I _don't_ have sources and I _do_ have lots
of idle undergrads lapping up this discussion and dying
for all the damaging details to be posted.  Dan is doing
exactly the right thing for my predicament.
--
Christine.
chogan@maths.tcd.ie                    ...!mcsun!maths.tcd.ie!chogan

bill@franklin.com (bill) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.183159.23747@maths.tcd.ie>
        chogan@maths.tcd.ie (Christine Hogan) writes:
: In <4601@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
: >For this reason I believe it would be best for Dan to post full details
: >of the various loopholes.
: I disagree.  I _don't_ have sources and I _do_ have lots
: of idle undergrads lapping up this discussion and dying
: for all the damaging details to be posted.  Dan is doing
: exactly the right thing for my predicament.

You are in a fool's paradise. At least one of your undergrads is
smart enough to figure out what to do with the hole given the
clues already posted and to cover himself after using it. For as
long as you remain ignorant of the details, you are prevented from
taking preventative action.

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (05/06/91)

In article <4May91.201446.4564@franklin.com>, bill@franklin (bill) writes:
>You are in a fool's paradise. At least one of your undergrads is
>smart enough to figure out what to do with the hole given the
>clues already posted and to cover himself after using it. For as
>long as you remain ignorant of the details, you are prevented from
>taking preventative action.

In a situation like this, the first question that comes to my mind is
'Is there any reason the udergrad won't show you the program (s)he
comes up with?'

And what's so horrifying about these undergrads using some common
holes anyway ?  They're supposed to learn something at the Uni, I
think, not supposed to be there to spy for the (insert your favorite
intelligence organization) or terrorize everyone else.

If your university atmosphere for whatever reason is filled with so
much hatred and so little will for cooperation that your users won't
tell you about the problems (with the benefit of getting to learn more
and discuss the problem with people knowing perhaps more of the
problems, to learn more) but instead they cause trouble to other
users, your university is in much more serious trouble than some lousy
computer security.

But then, nowadays when the counterproductive 'rules' and
'regulations' make just about anything or even thinking about it
illegal or seriously punishable, perhaps it's understandable that the
poor students are not willing to risk lawsuits or other penalties by
sharing their information with others.  I don't know, I certainly did
tell about the holes to the administrators but back then our Uni
didn't have all these myriads of written regulations with all kinds of
threats.

//Jyrki

ras@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) (05/06/91)

Regarding the ongoung flap about the proposed posting of various program
sources for exposing security flaws in the UNIX tty subsystems, etc.

First, I can fully sympathize with the frustration at trying to get
vendors to correct problems with their systems, security or otherwise.

Even if the patches or replacement executables are made available via the
Internet, USENET, or a BBS, it still does not notify a very large group of
"system admin's" that treat their system like a calculator, drawing pad, or
mechanical modeling device, and ignore the fact that there is a computer in
there that others could access, etc.  Even if they became aware of this fact,
I'm not sure that many of them would have the skills to actually do something
productive about security.  Furthermore, OEMs that ship older versions of
other vendors' systems should make more of an effort to pass security fixes
and other releases through, etc.

Being an old UNIX site that once relied on source, it's increasingly
frustrating to not have the means to fix problems on our own for systems that
source is (economically) no longer available for.  We rely on the vendors to
make timely fixes available, but very rarely does that happen.  Dan's posting
might just get some of these long-standing problems resolved before some new
and improved Internet worm comes along and makes our collective day...

On the other hand, I wonder just how far a security whistle-blower could get
in posting such a suite of security-hole-sources before vendors put their
lawyers on the case.  It is easy to imagine that some would consider such a
posting the equivalent of a mass-mailed bomb threat, which could be damaging
both to unwitting end-user sites as well as the revenues of lawyer-heavy
system vendors.

I wonder if most of the bugs, flaws and gaping holes could somehow be checked
for in an addendum to the COPS package, along with suggested work-arounds
for minimizing the damage.  That might let the security-aware admin's
without the resources and contacts to keep abreast of these issues be
somewhat aided, rather than making them hope for early retirement in 10/92.
--
Ralph Shaw		ras@sgfb.ssd.ray.com
Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Division, Portsmouth, RI