[comp.robotics] Agricultural robotics

pun@cui.unige.ch (PUN Thierry) (05/25/90)

In article <9390@pt.cs.cmu.edu> you write:
>Does anyone know of any upcoming conferences on agricultural
>robotics, or conferences with a session devoted to this topic?
>Also, what university/industry groups are working in this area?
>Regis Hoffman
>rmh@fas.ri.cmu.edu

We have just started a project called POTATO OPERATION, whose purpose is
to automatize pulp samples extraction for potato viruses analysis.

Every year, hundred of thousands of potatoes have to be sampled for the
presence of potato viruses. This implies grasping one potato, localizing
its crown (region +/- near the top most germs), drilling at the basis of a
germ in this region. The substance is then analyzed with an ELISA test.

We mostly work on the imaging problem (germ localization). We also
have interest in the handling problem.

        Thierry Pun, Computer Vision Group
	Computing Science Center, U-Geneva
        12, rue du Lac, CH-1207 Geneva SWITZERLAND
        Phone : +41(22) 787 65 82; fax: +41(22) 735 39 05
        E-mail: pun@cui.unige.ch, pun@cgeuge51.bitnet

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (05/25/90)

rmh@fas.ri.cmu.edu (Regis Hoffman) writes:

>Does anyone know of any upcoming conferences on agricultural
>robotics, or conferences with a session devoted to this topic?
>Also, what university/industry groups are working in this area?

Yes, I'd like to know too, if someone could post, or EMAIL me i
would be gratefull.
             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                        24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/V.32
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com

m3970@melsun0.mel.go.jp (HIROHIKO Arai) (05/26/90)

In article <9390@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, rmh@fas.ri.cmu.edu (Regis Hoffman) writes:
> Does anyone know of any upcoming conferences on agricultural
> robotics, or conferences with a session devoted to this topic?
> Also, what university/industry groups are working in this area?

In IROS'90 (IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Robots
and Systems '90, July 3-6, 1990, Tsuchiura, Ibaraki, Japan),
two sessions on agricultural robots are organized.
Titles and authors are as follows:

A Force/Torque Sensor-based Technique for Robot Harvesting of
Fruits and Vegetables
	B.Allotta, G.Buttazzo, P.Dario, F.Quaglia(Univ.of Pisa,Italy)
	P.Levi(AID S.pA.,Italy)
A Harvesting Robot for Cucumber
	K.Amaha, H.Shono, T.Takakura(Univ. of Tokyo,Japan)
An Intelligent Automated System for Grading Peanuts
	F.E.Dowell(U.S.Dpt. of Agriculture, U.S.A)
Automated Devices to Grow and Transplant Seedings
	H.L.Brewer(U.S.Dpt. of Agriculture, U.S.A)
Agricultural Robots in Japan
	N.Ito(Mie Univ., Japan)
Grading Agricultural Products with Machine Vision
	F.E.Sistler(Louisiana State Univ., U.S.A)
Image-Guided Robotics for the Automation of Micropropagation
	R.D.Tillett, F.R.Brown, N.J.B.McFarlane, C.M.Onyango,
	P.F.Davis, J.A.Marchant(AFRC Engineering, U.K.)
AI Application in Carcass Beef Grading Automation
	Y-R.Chen(U.S.Dpt. of Agriculture, U.S.A)
Visually Guided Operations in Green Houses
	G.Sandini, F.Buemi, M.Massa, M.Zucchini
	(Univ. of Genova, Italy)
Automated Steering Control of Robotic Mower
	K.Taniwaki(National Agriculture Research Center,MAFF,Japan)
	H.Kamiyama, T.Soga(Yammer Diesel, Japan)
Electronic Systems to Automatically Detect Insect Pests that
Respond to Species-Specific Chemical Sex Pheromone Baits
	D.E.Hendrics(U.S.Dpt. of Agriculture, U.S.A.)

Contact Adress of the workshop is:

	IROS'90 Secretariat
	Mechanical Engineering Research Laboratory
	Hitachi Ltd.
	502 Kandatsu, Tsuchiura, Ibaraki 300 Japan
	Phone: 81-298-31-5111 ex.6420
	Fax:   81-298-32-2806

		Hirohiko Arai
		Robotics Department