[comp.robotics] ODEX 1

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/03/90)

In article <798@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

>	Does anyone remember a six-legged cyndrical robot that was called I
>think OMNIBOT. The thing could squat down to go under obstacles, was strong
>enough to pick up a pickup (at least lift the rear wheels off the ground)
>and agile enough to climb into said pickup.

      You are describing the Odetics ODEX 1.  This six-legged machine was
built by Odetics Inc of Anaheim, CA.  It's an impressive feat of mechanical
engineering.  It was strictly a technology demonstrator; it was never used
for anything.  It didn't seem to lead to any business for Odetics.  I once
talked to the designer of the machine, who seemed sad that there was no
market for legged, mobile machines.

      Odetics does make a robotic cartridge-changer for VCRs, as part of
a system used for TV station automation.  It's basically a video jukebox
with six 3/4" decks and a tape library, coupled to appropriate scheduling
software.  But from a robotics standpoint, it's uninteresting.

					John Nagle