[comp.robotics] CM Ambler Rover

psg@wolfman.Philips.Com (Prabha Gopinath) (05/23/90)

In article <9349@pt.cs.cmu.edu> gerry@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) writes:
>In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>>My first comment is to notice that both the ASV and the CM Ambler each
>>weigh in at rougly 3 tons.  You'd think that somebody could build
>To answer Ben's question about the weight of the Ambler and its
>suitability to a Mars mission, let me state that the Ambler is
>designed as a proof of concept testbed and is NOT intended for
>or may not bear much resemblance to the Ambler.

Likewise the ASV. It was designed, implemented, and tested purely as a
proof-of-concept in reponse to a DARPA request. All the usual
arguments in favor of legged locomotion, terrain independence (greater
than wheeled vehicles), less terrain damage etc etc have been found to
be true even with a 3 ton vehicle. So I guess one could say that proof
by existence serves as proof-of-concept.

>As to why the Ambler is soo husky, it has to do with the design
>criteria, the required payload (computing, sensing, power) and
>the ability to withstand certian degenerate situations (such as
>muliple leg failures, failure of the underlying terrain, etc.)

Once again I should emphasize that the ASV has been designed to do all
this, and in fact does it now. Without appearing to pick on the Ambler
I am still curious to know what NEW concepts are being addressed here.
Or is the Ambler purely an engineering exercise?

>gerry roston, field robotics center
>robotics institute, carnegie mellon university

prabha
--
Prabha Gopinath					(914)-945-6539 (m/c)
Philips Research Laboratories			email: psg@philabs.philips.com

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (05/31/90)

In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>My first comment is to notice that both the ASV and the CM Ambler each
>weigh in at rougly 3 tons.  You'd think that somebody could build
>something a little more, ah, nimble.  ...

Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
as the control (simulated in a single 8bit 68HC11 processor).  The
thing they built is the size of a cat but walks and thinks very
much the way any 6 legged bio-critter does.  Modifications to the network
make it capable of handling any rough terrain.  The talk I saw said that
the work was being done for inter-stellar rovers, and a 8bit uP is
certainly more robust and compact than the multiple high-speed 68020
systems used in the ADF and the Ambler (hence their size?  Not the
only consideration I know, but it seems people keep on trying to
push AI languages onto their machines.  Whatever happened to heuristic
systems, by God?).

Brooks is more interested in making small machines, not moon-stompers.
Anybody know why this work is not in the running for space exploration?

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

jackm@agcsun.UUCP (Jack Morrison) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May30.... M.W.Tilden writes:

>Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
>6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
>as the control (simulated in a single 8bit 68HC11 processor).  The
 . . .
>the work was being done for inter-stellar rovers, and a 8bit uP is
>certainly more robust and compact than the multiple high-speed 68020
>systems  . . .
>
>Anybody know why this work is not in the running for space exploration?

I know a high-school student that built a 6-legged walking robot (about
3 feet long) run entirely from a dozen or so switches on a remote panel.
No computer at all! (so there :-)  Not that it would walk on its own...

The idea of several "small, fast, and stupid" rovers instead of one
lunking monster certainly has merit, and I believe such concepts *are*
in the running (walking?). They may not get as much press, maybe because
prototypes tend to look like consumer toys instead of real space hardware.

--
"How am I typing?  Call 1-303-279-1300"     Jack C. Morrison
Ampex Video Systems    581 Conference Place, Golden CO 80439

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May30.182249.22352@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
>6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
>as the control (simulated in a single 8bit 68HC11 processor).  The
>thing they built is the size of a cat but walks and thinks very
>much the way any 6 legged bio-critter does.

      The last above is an assumption probably not justified by the
facts.  But see "A Biological Perspective on Autonomous Agent Design",
by Beer, Cheil, and Sterling, at CWRU, Cleveland, OH. (which may have
appeared in print by now; I have a copy I got at MIT.)  These people
have a six-legged walking simulator which is based on an explicitly
biological neural model.  The model Brooks uses isn't particularly
representative of any specific biological model.  Patty Maes has a
technique by which Brooks' machine is made to learn to walk, but her
approach isn't something one would expect from a biological system
either.  (It may be better; it learns to walk in a minute or so.)

     Actually, Brooks' machine uses multiple M68HC11 processors,
connected by what the papers call "a token ring" implemented with
the chip's Serial Peripheral Interface port.  There's no central
control, but everybody gets broadcast info on what everybody else
is doing, so if you run the same control algorithm on each processor
but use different outputs on each one, they all come into agreement.

>Brooks is more interested in making small machines, not moon-stompers.
>Anybody know why this work is not in the running for space exploration?

     Because he sees his machines as being much more useful than those
one-of-a-kind space exploration machines.

					John Nagle

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (06/01/90)

	Does anyone remember a six-legged cyndrical robot that was called I
think OMNIBOT. The thing could squat down to go under obstacles, was strong
enough to pick up a pickup (at least lift the rear wheels off the ground)
and agile enough to climb into said pickup. I used to get Robotics  magizine
before it turned into an "automated arm rag" and they ran an article about it
a couple of years ago. If any one knows what happened to it please post. If I
remember correcttly it was built somewhere around San Jose/San Francisco.

Monty Saine

bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) (06/03/90)

In article <18280@well.sf.ca.us#, nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
# In article <1990May30.182249.22352@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
# #In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
# #Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
# #6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
      .
      .
      .
#
#      Because he sees his machines as being much more useful than those
# one-of-a-kind space exploration machines.
#
# 					John Nagle

Why is the assumption almost automatic that space exploration machines have
to be only one-of-a-kind, gold-plated behemoths?
--
Of course! I don't speak| William H. Ganoe      bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu
for my employer -- or   |  Systems & Industrial Engr. Dept, Univ. of Arizona

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (06/04/90)

In article <18280@well.sf.ca.us> nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
>In article <1990May30.182249.22352@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>>In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
>>Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
>>6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
>>as the control (simulated in a single 8bit 68HC11 processor).  The
>>thing they built is the size of a cat but walks and thinks very
>>much the way any 6 legged bio-critter does.
>
>      The last above is an assumption probably not justified by the
>facts.  But see "A Biological Perspective on Autonomous Agent Design",
>by Beer, Cheil, and Sterling, at CWRU, Cleveland, OH. (which may have
>appeared in print by now; I have a copy I got at MIT.)  These people
>have a six-legged walking simulator which is based on an explicitly
>biological neural model.  The model Brooks uses isn't particularly
>representative of any specific biological model.  Patty Maes has a
>technique by which Brooks' machine is made to learn to walk, but her
>approach isn't something one would expect from a biological system
>either.  (It may be better; it learns to walk in a minute or so.)

Sorry if I brought that idea across, but if you saw the evolutional
stages of this device dragging it's bum in an attempt to climb over
a telephone book, then you would be immediately reminded of a kitten
trying to climb stairs.  The similarity was so strong I burst out
laughing during the one lecture I attended.  I was not alone.

The flyer I have from that speech given by Brooks sez "rather, like children
or dogs, they do what is in their nature (...determined by [LEPROM
programming] ...residing inboard...)"  Brooks made no further biological
references.  My talks to Biochemists and Biologists however seemed to give
me the idea that "yeah, that's pretty close to the mark.  Needs heuristics
however."

It makes me wonder though if, as fractal mountians resemble real ones
even though formed by completely different processes (recursion/
erosion), can complex biological behaviours be successfully mimicked by
very simple FSM (Finite State Machine) interconnections?  Brooks
technique is to bundle his beasts with sensors and have all of them
contribute to the creatures reactions.  The creature has no memory of what
it has done, only reactions to what is happening now. However, his
creatures do not learn from their mistakes, their programmers do.
I asked him why he had not thought of building a learning ability
into his critters and he said "Not necessary.  The turn around time
for programming [the walker] is far faster than any I've seen for
similar devices.  More effective too."

Good enough for me.  I've already got a bitty-critter made which I'm
going to attempt operation using the same technique.  I'll post results.

For those who may be looking for references, the mans name is
Rodney A. Brooks of the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab.  If anybody
has exact references to papers on this topic, a post would be appreciated.

Is all.

--

cesmith@micro-ix.UUCP (cesmith) (06/06/90)

In article <1990May30.182249.22352@watmath.waterloo.edu>, mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
> In article <BBC.90May19164725@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:
> >My first comment is to notice that both the ASV and the CM Ambler each
> >weigh in at rougly 3 tons.  You'd think that somebody could build
> >something a little more, ah, nimble.  ...
>
> Brooks at MIT seems to have a reasonable solution.  They've built a
> 6 legged walker which uses a simple Algorithmic State Machine network
> as the control (simulated in a single 8bit 68HC11 processor).  ...
	[stuff deleted]
> Brooks is more interested in making small machines, not moon-stompers.
> Anybody know why this work is not in the running for space exploration?

        There is an interesting article in the 25 May 1990 issue of
"Science" on page 959 which discusses Brooks' work and the possibility
of using his machines for planetary exploration among other things.

hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Henning Pangels) (06/06/90)

Aside from everything else that's been said regarding size, one advantage of
a large exploration robot is that it supports some serious scientific
experiments. Core-boring, cutting/splitting of rocks, or simply picking up
objects that are of the size of a football have all been mentioned as
desirable capabilities. Remember, the objective is a sample-return mission,
so just running around the surface of the planet and transmitting pictures
isn't quite good enough. Even retrieving a bunch of small rocks and dust
samples doesn't tell the whole story.

--
Henning Pangels        Research Programmer        Field Robotics Center
ARPAnet/Internet: hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu             Robotics Institute

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun4.160147.24319@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>For those who may be looking for references, the mans name is
>Rodney A. Brooks of the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab.  If anybody
>has exact references to papers on this topic, a post would be appreciated.

C. Angle, "Genghis, A six legged autonomous walking robot," MIT S.B. Thesis
in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, March 1989.

R. Brooks, "A Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot," IEEE
Journal of Robotics and Automation, vol. RA-2, pp. 14-23, April 1986.

R. Brooks, "A Robot that Walks: Emergent Behavior from a Carefully Evolved
Network," Neural Computation, 1:2, Summer 1989.

R. Brooks and J. Connell, "Asynchronous distributed control system for a
mobile robot," in Proc. 1986 SPIE Conference on Mobile Robots, pp. 77-84.

R. Brooks, J. Connell, and A. Flynn, "A mobile robot with on-board parallel
processor and large workspace arm," in Proc. AAAI-86, pp. 1096-1100, 1986.

R. Brooks, J. Connell, and P. Ning, "Herbert: A second generation mobile
robot," MIT AI Lab. Tech. Report AIM-1016, Cambridge MA, 1987.

J. Connell, "A behavior-based arm controller," IEEE Trans. on Robotics and
Automation, vol. 5, pp. 784-791, Decmeber 1989.

P. Maes, "The Dynamics of Action Selection," AAAI Spring Symposium on AI
Limited Rationality, IJCAI, Detroit MI, pp. 991-997, 1989.

Brooks April 1986 paper is the seminal work which describes his subsumption
architecture.  The other papers describe a whole range of mobile robots
(mobots) which they have running around in their lab.  Maes paper describes
the extensions which she has developed to add learning capabilities to the
subsumption architecture.

--
Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Inc., Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (06/07/90)

In article <9547@pt.cs.cmu.edu> hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Henning Pangels) writes:
>... Remember, the objective is a sample-return mission,
>so just running around the surface of the planet and transmitting pictures
>isn't quite good enough. Even retrieving a bunch of small rocks and dust
>samples doesn't tell the whole story.

Has any work been done on cooperative minibots? It would seem that half
a dozen mini rovers could get together and bring a particularly interesting
rock back to a collection site of reasonable size (football sized).
However this would require a slightly more complex algorithim on the
part of the rovers to the extent that there would be a "I've got something
neat, come help" type of transmission that would alter the nearby
rovers programming to come help it.

On a different subject entirely, a couple of companies have been
developing and are now bringing to market samples of programmable
logic devices that are essentially "RAM" programmed, ie that can
be changed easily in place. Has anyone done any work on self configuring
or self repairing sensor/interface studies based on this? Is this
a reasonable thesis topic? Enquiring minds want to know!

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) (06/27/90)

In article <8485@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, kandt@ai-jupiter.JPL.NASA.GOV (Kirk Kandt) writes:
>        .
>        .
>        .
> "exploration".  BTW, why are the "moon stompers" less useful than small
> machines?

   I don't think the issue is "moon stompers" vs. small machines.
I think it is more a matter that NASA seems to lean toward big, single-shot
missions with no consideration of the potential advantages of missions
involving multiple copies of small machines.
   Certainly there are tasks that little machines can't handle, but they
still might prove very valuable for reconnoitering the area around
a landing site.  Each mini-rover could carry one, or a few, sensor(s),
and a swarm of "insects" can certainly provide mission robustness that
we just couldn't afford with a big "stomper" that tried to be all
things to all people.  Conceivably, they could even be used to collect
material for sample return missions, although individual samples would
be smaller than a stomper might be able to handle.
   The small machine approach also allows for the possibility of
multiple launches for a single "mission".  While our space program
has a better reliability record than the Soviets', the FOBOS mission
should serve as a reminder of what can happen.  (Even the doubly redundant
FOBOS ended in almost complete mission failure.)
    If you can afford to lose some of your mission's components without
endangering the entire mission (obviously more of a problem with rovers
than with the static landers of past missions) you don't have to spend
many years and mega(giga?)-bucks designing, building, and testing the most
failure-resistant system possible.  You can devote more of your time to
getting and analysing interesting data.
   Granted, the micro-rover approach wasn't even feasible until we could
miniaturize the sensors, control and communications hardware sufficiently
(and people started work on mini-rovers themselves), but it would be
encouraging to hear about more serious consideration of mini-rover
approach to lunar and planetary exploration.
--
What?  Me speak for my  | William H. Ganoe      bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu
employer?               |  Systems & Industrial Engr. Dept, Univ. of Arizona
                        |  Tucson, AZ 85721; USA

gerry@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) (06/27/90)

The reason that the CMU Ambler and JPL's Robby is as large as they are
is to meet a variety of mission objectives.  These include such things
as covering a certain amount of terrain in a given time, being able to
perform meaningful scientific experiments, such as taking core samples
from rocks.  In addition, since the proposed mission is a sample and return
mission, the vehicle must be able to carry a cargo of Martian samples
without adversely affecting its mobility.  These reasons seem to preclude
small rovers.

--
gerry roston, field robotics center
robotics institute, carnegie mellon university
pittsburgh, pennsylvania, 15213  (412) 268-6557
gerry@cive.ri.cmu.edu

pkenny@ADS.COM (Patrick Kenny) (06/28/90)

In article <72@tucson.sie.arizona.edu> bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:
>In article <8485@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, kandt@ai-jupiter.JPL.NASA.GOV (Kirk Kandt) writes:
>>        .
>>        .
>>        .
>> "exploration".  BTW, why are the "moon stompers" less useful than small
>> machines?
>

>         .
>         .
>         .
>   Certainly there are tasks that little machines can't handle, but they
>still might prove very valuable for reconnoitering the area around
>a landing site.  Each mini-rover could carry one, or a few, sensor(s),
>and a swarm of "insects" can certainly provide mission robustness that
>we just couldn't afford with a big "stomper" that tried to be all
>things to all people.  Conceivably, they could even be used to collect
>material for sample return missions, although individual samples would
>be smaller than a stomper might be able to handle.

	What would you consider to be a small machine?
	Something 6 feet long and 3 feet high is not very small.
	If it was any smaller I don't think it would be very useful,
	it would have a hard time climbing over rocks and sand.
	Most of the room would be taken up with drive mechanics and
	computer hardware. This is if you consider it to be a stand alone
	machine.
	 A good idea would be to use robots that act as long range
	sensors for the large robot. They would attach to the underside
	of the large robot, it would pick them up and store them.
	They would only have to be about 2 feet long and would be in
	constant contact, by radio, with the large machine. So they don't
	just wander away. If the large robot saw an object with it's
	camera, which would be about 12 feet in the air I presume.
	It could dispatch a small droid to investigate and relay pictures
	or get a sample of the object. This way the large robot could
	stay on it's course without running here and there and getting into
	possible danger.
	 I think every machine has it's place.

-pk

Patrick Kenny    pkenny@ads.com     	       |  Purpose: To DownLoad and at
Advanced Decision Systems 1500 Plymouth Street |  last be free of the confines
Mountain View, CA 94043                        |  of a shelled body.

kandt@ai-jupiter.JPL.NASA.GOV (Kirk Kandt) (06/29/90)

In article <72@tucson.sie.arizona.edu>, bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu
(Bill Ganoe) writes:
... <deleted> ...
|>    Granted, the micro-rover approach wasn't even feasible until we could
|> miniaturize the sensors, control and communications hardware sufficiently
|> (and people started work on mini-rovers themselves), but it would be
|> encouraging to hear about more serious consideration of mini-rover
|> approach to lunar and planetary exploration.
|> --

A long time ago when I worked in computer vision at Hughes Research Labs
we had a project funded by Army/DARPA for autonomous vehicles.  This was
before the Strategic Computing Project.  The biggest technological
problem that we had was to prevent the vehicle from falling into bomb
craters, and if it did to get it out.  In real-world environments a
vision system will fail (on occasion) to detect such hazards.  In such a
case, the vehicle must understand what occured and rely on mechanical
means to get out.  We found a millipede-like object (on wheels) that
could climb loading docks.  This platform was large (about 12 feet)
which gave it the ability to get out.  So, if a mini-rover happens to
fall into a moon crater, for example, how does it get out?

bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) (06/29/90)

In article <!RJ$MS|@ads.com>, pkenny@ADS.COM (Patrick Kenny) writes:
> In article <72@tucson.sie.arizona.edu> bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:
> >         .
> >   Certainly there are tasks that little machines can't handle, but they
> >still might prove very valuable for reconnoitering the area around
> >a landing site.  Each mini-rover could carry one, or a few, sensor(s),
> >and a swarm of "insects" can certainly provide mission robustness that
> >we just couldn't afford with a big "stomper" that tried to be all
> >things to all people.  Conceivably, they could even be used to collect
> >material for sample return missions, although individual samples would
> >be smaller than a stomper might be able to handle.
>
> 	What would you consider to be a small machine?
> 	Something 6 feet long and 3 feet high is not very small.
> 	If it was any smaller I don't think it would be very useful,
> 	it would have a hard time climbing over rocks and sand.
> 	Most of the room would be taken up with drive mechanics and
> 	computer hardware. This is if you consider it to be a stand alone
> 	machine.
> 	 A good idea would be to use robots that act as long range
> 	sensors for the large robot. They would attach to the underside
> 	of the large robot, it would pick them up and store them.
> 	They would only have to be about 2 feet long and would be in
> 	constant contact, by radio, with the large machine. So they don't
> 	just wander away. If the large robot saw an object with it's
> 	camera, which would be about 12 feet in the air I presume.
> 	It could dispatch a small droid to investigate and relay pictures
> 	or get a sample of the object. This way the large robot could
> 	stay on it's course without running here and there and getting into
> 	possible danger.
> 	 I think every machine has it's place.

Size is not well defined here, and I suspect that it may stay
sort of flexible for a while yet.  I would consider "6 feet long and 3 feet
high" to be "not very small" either.  Brooks has mentioned things like
"3-kilogram Mars rovers", but I don't remember exact linear dimensions
for the rovers that his group at MIT is currently working with.  (It's
definitely less than 6' x 3' though.)

While something smaller might have trouble climbing over large rocks,
I don't see that it should have much trouble with sand (at least relatively
normal sand).  The approach that Brooks is taking is to have the
mini-rovers back off (or pick themselves up) and try again if they
run into trouble getting over some obstacle.

There might be a problem with sufficiently large solar cell arrays on
very small rovers, but mini-rovers will certainly have lower power
requirements than their much larger cousins.

Your proposal for mini-rovers to support the mission of a larger "stomper"
seems quite useful, and, perhaps, more realistic in the near term, but
dependence on one (maybe a few) large rovers (and probably one launch
vehicle) makes the overall mission less robust.

But that is still pretty superficial.  I generally agree with you
that every machine has it's place.  The summary to my posting said
"small is beautiful -- maybe", and I noted that the issue wasn't so
much big vs. little, but the perception that NASA has always seemed
to go for the big "stomper" approach to space missions.

--

In article <8528@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, kandt@ai-jupiter.JPL.NASA.GOV (Kirk Kandt) writes:
> A long time ago when I worked in computer vision at Hughes Research Labs
> we had a project funded by Army/DARPA for autonomous vehicles.  This was
> before the Strategic Computing Project.  The biggest technological
> problem that we had was to prevent the vehicle from falling into bomb
> craters, and if it did to get it out.  In real-world environments a
> vision system will fail (on occasion) to detect such hazards.  In such a
> case, the vehicle must understand what occured and rely on mechanical
> means to get out.  We found a millipede-like object (on wheels) that
> could climb loading docks.  This platform was large (about 12 feet)
> which gave it the ability to get out.  So, if a mini-rover happens to
> fall into a moon crater, for example, how does it get out?

The basic idea here is that if a mini-rover (or micro-rover) falls in
a crater or whatever: (1) it will be small enough that it will be less
susceptible to serious damage than a larger "moon stomper", and (2) it
will try to get out of the crater more or less like a roach or other
insect would try to get out of, say, a toilet bowl here.  Granted, it
would probably need a bit more intelligence than the current crop of
MIT mini-rovers, but it won't require the computing power of older
rovers -- that are supposed to understand a good bit about their
surroundings.  If the simple-minded approach doesn't work, the
mini-rover will (in theory) be cheap enough that many could be
send on an exploratory mission, and it could be left behind without
making a serious dent in the mission budget -- or seriously endangering
the overall mission goals.
--

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (07/02/90)

In article <73@tucson.sie.arizona.edu> bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:
>Size is not well defined here, and I suspect that it may stay
>sort of flexible for a while yet.  I would consider "6 feet long and 3 feet
>high" to be "not very small" either.  Brooks has mentioned things like
>"3-kilogram Mars rovers", but I don't remember exact linear dimensions
>for the rovers that his group at MIT is currently working with.  (It's
>definitely less than 6' x 3' though.)

The first walker that Brooks and his people built is about 13" long with a
leg span of 10".  The next generation which is currently being developed will
be 14" long by 12" wide.

--

In article <74@tucson.sie.arizona.edu> bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:
>The basic idea here is that if a mini-rover (or micro-rover) falls in
>a crater or whatever: (1) it will be small enough that it will be less
>susceptible to serious damage than a larger "moon stomper", and (2) it
>will try to get out of the crater more or less like a roach or other
>insect would try to get out of, say, a toilet bowl here.

And when the rover detects that it is stuck it can begin emitting a signal
which the other mini-rovers can interpret either as a call for help or a
warning to stay away.