[comp.robotics] Sonar/Camera platform

ee0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan Z. Evans) (07/08/90)

To those who know:
	I need to find two things:  A two degree of freedom (pitch and 360
degree rotation) camera mount, and a good source of moderately priced
ultrasonic rangefinders.  After spending the last year making the base
and the arm of our mobile platform work, its now time to give it eyes
and ears.  The basic idea (or so I've been told) is to use the sonar for
collision avoidance and let the vision system do the rest.  As such, the
camera will be mounted up above the rest of the robot on a pole of some
kind, and needs to be able to look at both where the base is going and
what the arm is doing.  The problem is, neither I nor my advisors have
much of an idea of where to get this stuff.  Any help on either item,
whether an actual company rep. or simply another place to inquire would
be apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
	Ethan Evans
	ee0i@andrew.cmu.edu

green@ai.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) (07/09/90)

ee0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan Z. Evans) writes:

>To those who know:
>	I need to find two things:  A two degree of freedom (pitch and 360
>degree rotation) camera mount, and a good source of moderately priced
>ultrasonic rangefinders.... <rest of article deleted>

I have no idea about the camera mount, but it seems like THE place to get
ultrasonic transducers is from Polaroid. I recently finished building a robot
that used one, and it worked suprisingly well. We were able to interface the
sonar with our CPU (MC6811) with minimal hardware (a couple of pull up
resistors). The only tricky thing about it is that it draws 2.5 AMPS for
100ms every time you make it ping. If you're going to run it off of small
batteries, make sure you put a big capacitor across power and ground so as
not to affect any other components running on the same batteries.

The handbooks provided are a little unclear, so if you have any questions
feel free to direct them my way.

Anthony Green
green@ai.toronto.edu
(416) 537-9889

adnan@rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (07/09/90)

Rhino Robots markets a 2dof platform . Powered by DC servo motors it is
large enough for a mid-sized camera.

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)
                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (07/09/90)

In article <kaZqC6600VoRMACFoT@andrew.cmu.edu> ee0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan Z. Evans) writes:
>To those who know:
>	I need to find two things:  A two degree of freedom (pitch and 360
>degree rotation) camera mount, and a good source of moderately priced
>ultrasonic rangefinders.
>The problem is, neither I nor my advisors have
>much of an idea of where to get this stuff.

      Consider getting new advisors.  CMU is the leading institution for
this sort of thing.  Hans Moravec is the authority on reducing the data
from moderately priced ultrasonic rangefinders.    I have all the data on
the rangefinder hardware if you need it.

					John Nagle

ks5k@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Kristian Simsarian) (07/15/90)

	Yes, Polaroid ultrasonic sensors are widely used as an
economical rangefinder.  Polaroid also offers hardware kits that
include the transducers and control circuitry.

	You can contract them @:

	Polaroid Ultrasonic Components Group
	119 Windsor St
	Cambridge, MA 02139

	(617) 577-4681

	If you call and ask, they will send an information packet on
the equipment - including a couple of articles ( i.e. BYTE Oct 1984).

Kristian Simsarian