[comp.robotics] locomotion: crawling?

cauhape@twg.com (Jeff P. Cauhape) (07/04/90)

A layman asks:

Does anyone know if snake-like locomotion has been seriously
considered for robotic locomotion? If so, can you point me
to references?

It seems to me that there could be some advantages to using it:

1) There are no feet to be misplaced or trapped.
2) There are no legs to be broken.
3) Weight can be born over a larger surface area, which is an
   aid in travelling over a soft surface, or over a surface with
   irregular compaction.
4) Travelling over or through a liquid requires no change to the
   morphology of the robot.
5) Self-righting in the case of a spill would be easier.
6) A spill would be easier to avoid in the first place.

My _hunch_ is that the while the control circuits would be larger
due to the increased number of contractors, the over all design
would be simpler, and perhaps more importantly, the control
software may be simpler.

Thanks for any input on this.

Jeff Cauhape	       | gen: Colonel, have you ever worked for the CIA?
cauhape@twg.com        | col: I am not now, nor have I ever been employed

sandman@sun.udel.edu (Bring Me A Dream) (07/04/90)

In article <7482@gollum.twg.com> cauhape@twg.com (Jeff P. Cauhape) writes:
>A layman asks:
>
>Does anyone know if snake-like locomotion has been seriously
>considered for robotic locomotion? If so, can you point me
>to references?

I like it.  The whole idea of using feet only seems to gain us the
advantage of speed.  Does anyone know if this movement system is
complex or if it only requires the "mussle" contrations to be in a
sinusoid with  a "grip" for a certain section of the movement?
--
     	    Mike (Where could I buy a fright-wig) Sandler
			  Un, Znqr Lbh Ybbx

fitz@dirt.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Kerien Fitzpatrick) (07/04/90)

One of the big advantages of walking vs. rolling or crawling (snake)
concerns contact with the environment.  A rolling or snake-like
locomotor is in constant contact with its environment and therefore
subject to constraints this imposes.  A walking machine makes
intermittent contact with the environment and thus the impact of
environment constraints can be minimized.  The application of
snake-like locomotors could be quite extensive and I believe the
Japanese have something going in this area.  They do have some
existing mechanisms in the snake-like manipulator area.

My background is in locomotor design and fabrication with all of
them falling into the wheeled arena.  Yet, I still see the future
being legged locomotion of one type or another.  Significan insight
can be gained by examining nature - she/he/it has been working in
this area a lot longer than man and has done the job a heck of a
lot better.  For locomotion on land, nature predominantly uses legs.
Only after man figured out how to modify his environment (roads,
paths, etc) did wheels become viable.

I personally feel there is quite a bit of pettiness amongst this
netgroup which detracts from the possible goals.  I do not believe
in the truly general machine .... nature says evolve with your
environment and optimize.  Therefore I believe that almost all
configurations have their place whether they are large, small,
wheeled, legged, jumping, flying, etc.  Too much fingerpointing
goes on here - CMU this, JPL that and on and on.

I find the ultra-small locomotors interesting, but I am undecided
if they are really reality at this snapshot in time.  Hopefully,
the pettiness will end and this netgroup will truly become a place
where ideas can be discussed.  Some people are using this netgroup
for this purpose and others are taking potshots.  Also, people are
right when they say that JPL and CMU spent significant time examining
the alternatives before settling on something.  It is always easy
to criticize once a stand has been taken, but a stand must be taken
for anything to reach fruition.

Sorry for the lecture, its been a bad day....

--
Kerien Fitzpatrick
Field Robotics Center

gerry@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) (07/06/90)

I am unaware of snake-like locomtion, but a Sweedish company
used to manufacture the Spline robot, which had snake-like
motions.

gerry
--
gerry roston, field robotics center
robotics institute, carnegie mellon university

rdt143e@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (dr s hill) (07/06/90)

cauhape@twg.com (Jeff P. Cauhape) writes:

>A layman asks:

>Does anyone know if snake-like locomotion has been seriously
>considered for robotic locomotion? If so, can you point me
>to references?

Prof. Yoji Umetani's group at Physical Engineering,
Tokyo Institute of Technology has been working on snake-like locomotion
since, at least, 1981.
I can't locate any references here in my office, but Umetani
showed a video of his work when he visited us in 1981.
Then the machines were multi-segmented snakes, each segment had
four wheels. The wheels were not powered, the snake-like
oscillations provided the motive power to move the machine forward.
The machine was tethered to it's power supply and computing system.

schalit@crcge1.cge.fr (Emmanuel Schalit) (07/18/90)

In article <7482@gollum.twg.com> cauhape@twg.com (Jeff P. Cauhape) writes:
>A layman asks:
>
>Does anyone know if snake-like locomotion has been seriously
>considered for robotic locomotion? If so, can you point me
>to references?

As it might be interesting for anyone reading this newsgroup :

There is a good paper by Hirose and Morishima (Tokyo Institute of Technology):

	"The International Journal of Robotics Research"
	Volume 9, Number 2 April 1990
	Special Issue on Legged Locomotion.
	"Design and Control of a Mobile Robot with an Articulated Body"
	pp 99-114.

			Emmanuel Schalit.	Robotics Research Engineer
						CGE Corporate Labs
						Marcoussis France.
			[schalit@crcge1.cge.fr]
--