[comp.robotics] Cheap vision project.

cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) (07/23/90)

Well, here's my feeble attempt to steer the ship back towards more
interesting robotics project discussion:

I had an idea the other night about a possible stereo vision system
for a robotics project I am designing.  It would utilize the guts of
a pair of Fisher-Price camcorders and a simple digitizer, perhaps alternating
frames from the cameras.  There cameras are slow scan video so the
data rates wouldn't be overwhelming and they're cheap!

I'm hoping that someone out there in netland has had some experience
working with these devices and can offer some insights as to the
availability of technical documentation and the feasability of
working with them: interfacing etc.

RSVP
louie!beez@sunpitt.east.sun.com

yegerleh@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Yegerlehner) (07/24/90)

In article <MaekwsG00WB40B=F11@andrew.cmu.edu>, cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) writes:

> Well, here's my feeble attempt to steer the ship back towards more
> interesting robotics project discussion:
>
> I had an idea the other night about a possible stereo vision system
> for a robotics project I am designing.  It would utilize the guts of
> a pair of Fisher-Price camcorders and a simple digitizer, perhaps alternating
> frames from the cameras.  There cameras are slow scan video so the
> data rates wouldn't be overwhelming and they're cheap!

> I'm hoping that someone out there in netland has had some experience
> working with these devices and can offer some insights as to the
> availability of technical documentation and the feasability of
> working with them: interfacing etc.

Someone just posted a description of how he interfaced one of these
Camcorders to his MS-DOS machine in sci.electronics.  This was a
few days ago, though.  I can mail it to anyone who is interested.

Jim Yegerlehner yegerleh@vivaldi.composer.ecn.purdue.edu