[comp.robotics] Wireless Ethernet?

hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Henning Pangels) (07/25/90)

I'm interested in pointers to manufacturers of wireless ethernet equipment.
I know they are out there, but it's difficult to get a comprehensive list
together.  Has anyone had experience with this type of product, or heard
about it?

--
Henning Pangels        Research Programmer        Field Robotics Center
ARPAnet/Internet: hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu             Robotics Institute

projoe@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Joseph A. Dionise) (07/26/90)

In article <10006@pt.cs.cmu.edu> hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Henning Pangels) writes:

>I'm interested in pointers to manufacturers of wireless ethernet equipment.
>I know they are out there, but it's difficult to get a comprehensive list
>together.  Has anyone had experience with this type of product, or heard
>about it?

   No experience, but the June 1990 issue of Byte has a couple of references
in the "What's New" section (page 50) and the article "On the Radio"
(page 224A).

   Untied TeleCom has an infrared transceiver that connects a PC host to an
Ethernet or Token Ring.  LED transmissions (800 nanometer wavelengths) of up
to 80 feed to a transceiver/server are possible.  Contact : Untied Telecom,
Inc., 100 Mechanic St., Building 8L, P.O. Box 280, Southbridge, MA 01550,
(508) 765-0776.

   Agilis Corp., has an Ethernet transceiver for the hand-held Agilis 8088-
and 386-based computers that lets them communicate at rates up 230,000 bps.
The range is 100 meters indoors and 1 kilometer outdoors.  The Agilis system
comes with Radio Manager software which allows you to select from 16 different
channels.  Contact : Agilis Corp., 1390 Shorebird Way, Mountain View, CA
94043, (415) 962-9400.

   The ARLAN system from Telesystems SLW (Don Mills, Ontario, Canada)
consists of a network controller unit and is priced at about $1200 per node.
(Sorry, no more information.)

   The LAWN system is manufactured by O'Neill Comunications (Princeton, NJ)
and connects to a serial port of a PC.  The effective data transfer rate is
19,200 bps and operates over one of four channels.

   Typical of most articles in Byte, these references seem to be for PC
systems.  But it should give you a start.

>--
>Henning Pangels        Research Programmer        Field Robotics Center
>ARPAnet/Internet: hmp@cive.ri.cmu.edu             Robotics Institute
>(412) 268-7088                                    Carnegie-Mellon University

--
Joseph A. Dionise            Internet   : projoe@crim.eecs.umich.edu
Robot Systems Division       UUCP       : uunet!crim.eecs.umich.edu!projoe