[comp.robotics] Quality of IEEE Robotics Conference papers

mgsmith@hplabsb.HP.COM (Michael Smith) (09/01/90)

My opinion is that the quality of the papers presented at the IEEE
Conference on Robotics and Automation could be improved.  This year
the procedings are a total of 2184 pages.  Do others out there in
net-land agree that the conference should be refereed more selectively
to cut out the dead wood?  Are there any other conferences out there
I should know of?

Mike Smith
HP Labs

josip@ra.src.umd.edu (Josip Loncaric) (09/02/90)

In article <5830@hplabsb.HP.COM> mgsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (Michael Smith) writes:
>My opinion is that the quality of the papers presented at the IEEE
>Conference on Robotics and Automation could be improved.  This year
>the procedings are a total of 2184 pages.  Do others out there in
>net-land agree that the conference should be refereed more selectively
>to cut out the dead wood?  Are there any other conferences out there
>I should know of?
>
>Mike Smith
>HP Labs

Yes! The 1990 conference had too many truly awful papers.  I think they try to
be selective, but some of the referees are inexperienced and/or inept, and the
selection process fails due to the "garbage in/garbage out" syndrom.

My opinion: use only good referees.  Just because they are hard to get does not
mean mediocre ones will do.  If the 1990 conference is indicative of the
future, I am also interested in alternative conferences.

Josip Loncaric / Systems Research Center / University of Maryland
Opinions: Today Only $0.02 each

--
Josip Loncaric / SRC / U. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20745