[comp.robotics] Puma encoders -> degrees

sean@cs.tamu.edu (Sean Graves) (10/06/90)

Newsgroups: comp.robotics
Subject: Re: Puma 560 encoders->degrees

In article <1990Oct4.072035.27746@tukki.jyu.fi> tarkiain@tukki.jyu.fi (FM Mikko Tarkiainen) writes:
>In article <8780@helios.TAMU.EDU> sean@cs.tamu.edu (Sean Graves) writes:
>>the user wants the move to take.  Does anyone have a movement routine
>>in which the user specifies the percentage of max velocity instead?
>
>In order to determine the maximum velocity on a given path one needs to
>optimize the velocity profile, which is a bit complicated task.
>See e.g. Bobrow, Dubowsky, Gibson: Time-Optimal Control of Robotic
>Manipulators Along Specified Paths. Int. J. of Robotics Research,
>VOL 4, NO 3, 1985, pp. 3-17.
>
>Mikko Tarkiainen                e-mail: tarkiain@jyu.fi, tarkiain@finjyu.bitnet

Thanks for the reference - I will check it out.  However, I think I
did not make myself clear.  When I say max velocity, I am not referring
to time-optimality.  What I am saying is that there is some maximum
angular velocity that I can drive this robot without damage, independent
of the path.

I would like to specify that all my moves should attempt to attain a
velocity that is some fraction of this maximum.  I think this is similar
to VAL (but I may be wrong).

--
Sean Graves                                        sean@cs.tamu.edu
Department of Computer Science