[comp.robotics] Mars Rover Update - 10/03/90

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (10/05/90)

                    Mars Rover Update
                     October 3, 1990

     The Mars Rover being developed at the Jet Propulsion Lab
(nicknamed "Robby") successfully picked its way along a rocky,
dried-out riverbed without human guidance.  This is the first
time that an autonomous vehicle has ever navigated rugged terrain
without the aid of a human navigator.

     The test is a milestone in developing a planet-roving vehicle
which could explore Mars to find suitable landing sites for a human
expedition.  The rover took four hours and twenty minutes to
navigate a 109-foot-long course in Pasadena's Arroyo Seco, a dry
riverbed adjacent to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
      ___    _____     ___
     /_ /|  /____/ \  /_ /|
  ___| | | | |__) |/  | | |___   Jet Propulsion Lab | baalke@jems.jpl.nasa.gov
 /___| | | |  ___/    | |/__ /|  M/S 301-355        |
 |_____|/  |_|/       |_____|/   Pasadena, CA 91109 |

macphee@convex.COM (Scott C. Mac Phee) (10/05/90)

I think that congratulations are in order!  Keep up the good work, guys.
I'm planning my retirement party in 2035 on Mars Base 3.

Scott

CONVEX Computer Corporation (CVX)                  Richardson, Texas

Scott C. Mac Phee (..uunet.uu.net!convex.com!macphee)

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (10/06/90)

     Is there a video available?

					John Nagle

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct4.201426.4309@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
>                    Mars Rover Update
>                     October 3, 1990
>
>The rover took four hours and twenty minutes to
>navigate a 109-foot-long course in Pasadena's Arroyo Seco, a dry
>riverbed adjacent to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Correction: The course the rover navigated was 109 METERS, not 109 feet.