[comp.robotics] Help: path planning/model of environment

kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) (10/24/90)

I am looking for some good references (papers) for autonomous
vehicle path planning algorithms and/or models of the 'world'
given that our robot knows the structure of the building before hand.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin B. Stanton (kevins@ee.pdx.edu)	Portland State University
	Kevin Stanton (kevins)

martins@hplhasm.hpl.hp.com (Henrique Martins) (10/24/90)

In article <418@pdxgate.UUCP> kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) writes:

>   I am looking for some good references (papers) for autonomous
>   vehicle path planning algorithms and/or models of the 'world'
>   given that our robot knows the structure of the building before hand.

  There is a good reference book, coming out in November, from Prof.
Jean-Claude Latombe, Stanford University, titled "Robot Motion Planning".
It will be published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA. If you
don't find what you want in the book, you will have there pointers to many
other papers and books on the subject.

  Henrique

P.S.:
 1. Yes, I have a pre-print of the book.
 2. No, I don't get any royalties.
 3. I'm not affiliated with Prof. Latombe, Stanford University, or Kluwer
    Academic Publishers.

 Henrique A. S. Martins
 Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
 3500 Deer Creek Road                Phone:    (415)-857-2763
 Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA            Internet: martins@hplabs.hpl.hp.com

cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix) (10/25/90)

In article <MARTINS.90Oct24092815@hplhasm.hpl.hp.com> martins@hplhasm.hpl.hp.com (Henrique Martins) writes:
>  There is a good reference book, coming out in November, from Prof.
>Jean-Claude Latombe, Stanford University, titled "Robot Motion Planning".
>It will be published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA. If you
>don't find what you want in the book, you will have there pointers to many
>other papers and books on the subject.

I took a class from Prof. Latombe last spring using a draft of the book.
Even though I didn't have all the prerequisites, particularly the topology,
I found that the book was easy to understand and grasp intuitively, but it
also gave enough details to implement the algorithms and prove that they
worked.  I'd recommend it for high-level undergrads on up, to learn from
and work from.

The algorithms were usually based on prior knowledge of the world, though
some (particularly potential field) could be adapted for more reactive
behavior.  The book, at least the part we worked from, did not go much
into interpreting or planning from sensor data.

1) Yes, I am working for Jean-Claude Latombe now.  But I will not get paid
for writing this, and he doesn't know that I am.  If I shouldn't have written
this, scream at me and I won't do it again.

2) Any misrepresentations are my own fault.

--
War is a little naked kid running along a road and screaming because the
napalm hurts so bad. War is young men in body bags -- theirs and ours. And