[comp.robotics] Need a position tracker for a mobile robot.

behara@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Albert Behar) (10/29/90)

I'm working to build a mobile robot research platform and
have thus far used dead reckoning (optical encoders on wheels)
to determine the robots global position. The results have been
good but the errors increase as time goes on.

Now, I wish to increase the position tracking accuracy because
the platform will soon need to support a vision platform.

Does any one have any idea where I can get some sort of
tracking device or how others have treated this problem?

Thanks in advance, please send any responses directly to me.

++++++++++++++++---------------------------------+++++++++++++++++
Albert Behar                       email:behara@turing.cs.rpi.edu
NASA Center for Intelligent Robotic Systems for Space Exploration
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/29/90)

behara@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Albert Behar) writes:
> Does any one have any idea where I can get some sort of
> tracking device or how others have treated this problem?

	How much money do you want to spend, and how accurate/precise do
you need it?  One possibility might be to buy a marine LORAN receiver.  You
can get them for as little as about $400 now, complete with some sort of
RS-232-ish interface, runs off of 12V, not much larger or heavier than a
big calculator.  Absolure accuracy isn't very good, but precision and
repeatability is very good, down to perhaps 100 feet or so.

	If you want to do better than that, and have really deep pockets,
you might think about a GPS receiver.  There are currently only a few on
the market, with price tags an order of magnitude greater than the LORAN
sets, but they will get cheaper as time goes on (it's a new technology) and
are supposed to be accurate down to like 10 feet, or something like that.

	I suspect that neither are really what you are looking for, but I
figured it might give you some ideas.

/roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

gerry@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) (10/29/90)

The two solutions proposed so far are probably the best:
loran and gps.  if this is not what you want, here is a
cheap and sleazy method:

Get 3 yo-yo pots (more info available if requested).  these
are precision potentiometers/tachometers hooked up to a spool
if string (similar to a key-chain ...).  Anyway, locate three
of tehm in the world, attach the strings from all three to your
robot, and you now know its position.

Well, I did say sleazy.

gerry
--
gerry roston, field robotics center
robotics institute, carnegie mellon university

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (10/31/90)

}
}Now, I wish to increase the position tracking accuracy because
}the platform will soon need to support a vision platform.

Since you're going to have a vision platform, why not use it for actual
ded-reckoning [sic]? (Pedantic Note:  That's not a typo.  The "ded" is
short for "deductive." Ded-reckoning is navigation by reference to known
landmarks, or so I was taught in ground school).

There are some spectacular pattern recognition systems available off the
shelf these days.  Why not have your robot look around to see where it is?

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non