[comp.robotics] Wireless video

mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) (11/10/90)

I see that the latest DAK catalog is selling the "Pirate TV Station" video
transmitter/receiver pair for US$80. Uses the 910-918 MHz band, and
presumably transmits at least one aural sideband. Claims coverage over a
typical house, but I suppose actual range is dependent on the construction
techniques of your environment, among other things. Should be easy enough to
modify for DC operation, but no indication of power consumption. Comes with
little rubber ducky antennas. Looks like a nice cheap way to get video off
your mobile robot (data too with a little work - it's easy enough to
modulate on to audio at a reasonably high rate). Maybe some concern about
interference from computers in close proximity, but since it's designed for
VCR's etc which are pretty digital these days, maybe it won't be too bad.

Anyway, just thought y'all might be interested. If anyone plays with one,
let us know how it works out!

		Mike Blackwell		mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

price@iris.usc.edu (Keith Price) (11/13/90)

In article <11040@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) writes:
>I see that the latest DAK catalog is selling the "Pirate TV Station" video
>transmitter/receiver pair for US$80. Uses the 910-918 MHz band, and
>		Mike Blackwell		mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

We have used a similar device (US$50, other sources, Haverhills ads were
for about $70.  They can be tuned for any UHF channel from about 14 up)
for some time for video only.  Interference can be a problem, but is more
due to position of the robot, people, receiver, etc. than due to electronic
interference.  All the same problems that you have with the "rabbit ears"
antenna on a home TV -- i.e. it usually works.
	Keith Price
	price@usc.edu