[comp.robotics] Micro "Mouse" discussion?

csclub@shep (11/18/90)

Each year, UC Davis has a "Micro Mouse" contest in which student teams
compete in a timed maze-run using small robots they have constructed.

A few of us are playing with design ideas, but would be pleased if we
could bounce ideas off of the membership of this newsgroup.  If this is
an inappropriate topic, or if there is a better discussion group for this,
please tell me.

Further, perhaps comp.robotics would appreciate the stimulation of such a
discussion.  To this end I am including a brief description of the contest
and some design considerations

The Problem:
	The robot must maneuver through a large (8" corridor) wooden maze,
and in order to reach the point in the maze designated as the target, must be
prepared to cover the entire maze in the fastest possible time.

Some Design Considerations:
	- Awareness of surroundings, memory of where it has been
	- Ability to maneuver quickly in at least 4 directions, or turn easily
	- Ability to correct itself if it gets into weird orientations
	- Well developed algorithm for mapping the maze

In particular our team is concerned with how we can make the mouse move in 4
directions without having to pause for turns.  We had thought of using 2 DC
motors (stepper motors won't be fast enough), to run two central wheels; this
would allow us to turn quickly, and could elminate back-ups since we could
switch direction.  Another idea is a large central track ball, which could
virtually eliminate turns.

Are we overlooking other superior ways in which we could accomplish 4-way
movement?

Thanks for your input,
	Devon Tuck
	tuck@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (11/19/90)

In article <9322@aggie.ucdavis.edu> tuck@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:
>Each year, UC Davis has a "Micro Mouse" contest in which student teams
>compete in a timed maze-run using small robots they have constructed.
>
>A few of us are playing with design ideas, but would be pleased if we
>could bounce ideas off of the membership of this newsgroup.  If this is
>an inappropriate topic, or if there is a better discussion group for this,
>please tell me.

I can't think of a better place to bounce mouse ideas.  I'm currently
engaged in re-tackling the problem myself after competing at the
North American Micromouse competition in Toronto (great time.  Lotsa
fun.  Strongly recommend it).

>Some Design Considerations:
>	- Awareness of surroundings, memory of where it has been
>	- Ability to maneuver quickly in at least 4 directions, or turn easily
>	- Ability to correct itself if it gets into weird orientations
>	- Well developed algorithm for mapping the maze
>
>In particular our team is concerned with how we can make the mouse move in 4
>directions without having to pause for turns.  We had thought of using 2 DC
>motors (stepper motors won't be fast enough), to run two central wheels; this
>would allow us to turn quickly, and could elminate back-ups since we could
>switch direction.  Another idea is a large central track ball, which could
>virtually eliminate turns.
>
>Are we overlooking other superior ways in which we could accomplish 4-way
>movement?

Superior?  Loaded question.

Well, my mouse uses the guts of four regular Microsoft mice to make
a frame which could independantly raise and lower wheels in either x
or y directions.  The 90 degree roller axes were mounted on a cross frame
and grommets added to the round contact switch sensors (yes, these were old
style mechanical mice, not IR).  A motor on each side of the square mouse
drove two grommet wheels by band drive, and a single motor looked after the
raise/lower mechanics.  The result was a mouse that was perfectly
four-way symetric with a change-direction speed of less than a 20th of
a second.  Four of the eight wheels were in contact with the ground at
any one time giving maximum stability and traction.

Such a mouse has advantages, not the least being that as it does not have
to turn around, control is simplified to just staying orthogonal to
the maze walls.  This was done by simple speed regulator circuits on
each edge motor, the inputs coming from rolling tactile wall sensors.
As the mouse moved down a corridor, the carefully adjusted sensors thus
forced the mouse to stay dead middle.  They did the same thing every time
the mouse had to make a turn, keeping the mouse from hitting the walls in
a corner.

Fact is, this design took away so many control headaches that my mouse
did not even need a processor, just a simple 3 chip state engine.  A
processor is going on the next one (maybe) but it was nice to see
what could be done without it.

I tried using the idea of a single ball driving the floor but came
across two problems: One, the drive ball must be under pressure from
the perpendicular driving shafts just to maintain friction.  As this
happens in 4 places around the ball, the energy losses of rotating the
rubber ball surface over two inert areas I think mounts up to 30%.  Two,
because of One, the balls don't last too long and your mouse gets hot.
Conclusion, using a mouse as a position sensor is all it's good for.

Regarding algorithms, the competition I entered did not use a
connected maze, so the simple right-hand wall following rule would
not work.  My system used a slight modification to this which was...

	prime = 3
	Right-hand rule, turning left (if possible) every prime.
	every (tee or cross) junction, increment the prime to
		the next prime.
	when goal reached, lock current prime in place.

I haven't tested this algorithm rigorously, but it seems to work.
It was the best non-random algorithm I could implement on my hardware.

It turns out the algorithm you use will change drastically depending on
if you use over-the-wall looking sensors or low sensors which can
only see the immediate walls around it.  Over-the-wall sensing means
you can fill up your internal maze map with less travel, but the
weight of the sensors typically makes for a very top-heavy mouse which
cannot turn quickly.

An interesting discovery by MIT during their recent racing in Singapore
was that a mouse which aggressively seeks the center of the maze without
checking to see if there might indeed be a faster path eleswhere does
have a better overall chance of winning.  'Mapping' a maze takes time
which will count against you in the final scoring.  Simulations on
lots of previous competition mazes proves this out.

In terms of mouse designs, the MIT two-wheel-two-castor cart design
is the current world record holder.  The main motors are small and close
to the center of mass, as are the drive wheels.  Balancing castors are placed
at a distance to stabilize the outfit.  It makes for a very low and light
engine which can cut corners effectively.  There are also close competitors
which use powered outside castors to hasten the mouses turns.  The
speed is equivalent, but the mouse can be made significantly heavier
if you need it to be so.

My current design ideas include the following: a motorcycle mouse (wide wheels,
high traction, bi-laterally symetric, small), a mouse 'ball' (large sphere
which changes internal centre of balance to move.  Won't be fast but
will make a good 'demonstration' mouse), a 'jet' mouse (built in ducted
fan to assist acceleration and also suk the wheels onto the deck for
better traction), a Lamborgini mouse (made from a posi-track Tamaya
model kit.  It'll fit and look good) and a 'mouse' mouse (a mouse built
out of a single ordinary computer mouse, using the trackball to give
positional information to a 68C11 uP.  Two motor, two castor drive),
and, of course, improvements to my first mouse.

One of the interesting things about micromousing is that, like potato
chips, you can't have just one, you've gotta build another.  My preferance
is to go the unorthodox route and build no two mice alike (there's an
awful lot of cart designs around.  It's good but it's peaking in
effectiveness IMHO.  Don't be afraid to go wierd).  The other reason
to go unorthodox is that in two years the next International Robot Olympics
will be held, and modifying mice to enter one or more of those events
will be a must for those that can (I just got a brochure of some of the
competitors.  Most look like an explosion in a Meccano factory.  Just
beautiful).

Of course the whole reason to get into micromousing is not the
competition so much as the fun of doing it.  Most people who got into
robotics were not inspired by robot assembly lines, but by Star
Wars and Silent Running and other shows which showed robot
creatures doing neat things.  Robotics needs industrial efficiency
to make it pay, but after hours, micromousing is one way to keep
the imagination greased.

Anyway, I have all kindsa information (including full on line rules)
if anybody's interested.  Videos may soon be available if I can get my
butt in gear.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (11/19/90)

If the maze is guaranteed to only contain 90 degree corners, here is a
quick method:

have 8 wheels on the robot - 4 pointing north/south and 4 pointing east/west.
The two sets are on separate frames, and are set up so that only one set is
lowered at a time.<< forgive the noise.  SOmeone just picked up
the phone>>

Thus, to go north, spin wheels in one direction.  To go south, spin the other
way.  To go east or west, lower the e/w frame and raise the n/s frame, then
turn wheels in appropriate direction.

Using solenoids to raise and lower the wheels allows for almost instantaneous
transfers.  The biggest flaw that this robot has is that if it gets out of
alignment somehow (careening off a wall is a good way...) it cannot recover.
--
     __
    /..\      In quest of knowledge...

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (11/20/90)

Just so everybody knows, the next two micromouse competitions
(that I know of) are:

	APEC 91 Micromouse contest
	5th annual contest at the Hyatt Regency hotel in
	Dallas, Texas, March 13, 1991.  Approx start time: 2:00 pm.
	Contestants do not have to register for the conference if
	they don't want to.

	Additional info can be obtained from

		Melissa Widerkehr
		Courtesy Associates
		655 Fifteenth Street, NW
		Washington D.C.
		20005
		(202) 347-5900

	...but not until January.  Until then, contact Dave Otten at MIT,
	(617)253-4691 for details. (Dave is the current world record
	Micromouse holder and the creator of MITEE 1 through 6.  He
	has also written several 'build your own mouse' articles in
	Ciarcia'c Circuit Cellar, so look them up.)

	Ontario, Canada in May, 1991.  Details pending.  For more
	info, e-mail mouse@sunee.waterloo.edu.

If anybody has details of other events, please post.  Nothing inspires
action like a deadline.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1
     |__-_-_-|               \/               (519) - 885 - 1211 ext.2454,
"MY OPINIONS, YOU HEAR!? MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

jc7k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey C. Chen) (11/20/90)

On 19-Nov-90 in Re: Micro "Mouse" discussion?
user M.W.Tilden, Hardware@wat writes:

>	...but not until January.  Until then, contact Dave Otten at MIT,
>	(617)253-4691 for details. (Dave is the current world record
>	Micromouse holder and the creator of MITEE 1 through 6.  He
>	has also written several 'build your own mouse' articles in
>	Ciarcia'c Circuit Cellar, so look them up.)

You wouldn't happen to have Dave's email address?

					 -Jeff

jc7k@andrew.cmu.edu		jcc@cive.ri.cmu.edu

Jeffrey Chen			Jeffrey Chen
Box 1566				Field Robotics Center
1060 Morewood Ave		Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890		Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
USA				USA

(412) 268-4876

Aspired to become a vending machine technician...