[comp.robotics] Robot for a Nine Year Old

ANDQC@CUNYVM (Andrew A. Beveridge) (12/18/90)

My daughter a pretty smart 9 year old attended a workshop yesterday, where
a number of Robots were used by kids, including the Armatron, the Omnibot,
Robbie Jr., and a HERO-JR.

She was completely captivated by the HERO.  She knows a little bit about com-
puters.  What computer programs that might interface with a Robot, or programs
that emulate robots exist?  How much do they cost?

What other suggestions do you have about teaching a kid about Robots, without
breaking the Bank.
-------
                        Andrew A. Beveridge
                        Department of Sociology
                        Queens College and Graduate Center
                        City University of New York
                        209 Kissena Hall
                        Flushing, NY 11367  718-520-7093

 P.S.  In other words, she wants a Robot for Christmas (actually the HERO).
       Suggestions?

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/20/90)

}
}She was completely captivated by the HERO.  She knows a little bit about com-
}puters.  What computer programs that might interface with a Robot, or programs
}that emulate robots exist?  How much do they cost?
}
}What other suggestions do you have about teaching a kid about Robots, without
}breaking the Bank.

Does she have any programming experience yet?  If not, or if minimal, get
her set up with Logo and Turtlegraphics or equivalent.  Software robots
are much less frustrating to deal with than the hardware variety.  Best
she learn the basic programming concepts in a consistent, non-breakable
environment before she tries to deal with with the real world of
mechanical slippage, friction and maintenance.

} P.S.  In other words, she wants a Robot for Christmas (actually the HERO).
}       Suggestions?

Logo this year, HERO or equivalent next if she's still interested.

BTW, last I heard Heath/Zenith took the HERO-2000 off the market due to
mechanical bugs in the arm.  I take it the HERO jr. wasn't affected,
since it has a different arm.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

brianre@sco.COM (Brian T. Reid) (12/20/90)

In article <90352.102403ANDQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> ANDQC@CUNYVM (Andrew A. Beveridge) writes:
>My daughter a pretty smart 9 year old attended a workshop yesterday, where
>a number of Robots were used by kids..

>She was completely captivated by the HERO.
>
>What other suggestions do you have about teaching a kid about Robots, without
>breaking the Bank.

In its early incarnations Logo ( a graphics oriented computer language
meant for kids) was intended to drive a robot-like device with a pen in it
that ran around on the floor.  Much of Logo's command set still reflects
this concept.  I don't know if there was ever a commercially produced
implementation that included a turtle but I have read (old) books that
offer plans/kits from organizations involved with Logo.

I've always thought that this was an interesting idea and possibly fun to
play with ( for the kids, honest :-) so you have prompted my asking:

Does anyone know of a Logo implementation that is available that includes
support for a physical turtle on some reasonable home machine. ( I guess
that probably means MS-DOS, <sigh> :-)  I would be interested in anything,
for whatever platform, including plans, kits, technical documentation.
Everything I've seen had a non-technical slant, ie. from an educator's point
of view, or was for _very_ old platforms.

If there is interest I can summarize e-mail responses.
  ( Is this the best group for this?  I think it is, but... )

Andrew, if you're interested I can provide references from some of those
books -- Logo itself is interesting for kids and I know there are
implementations of that around..

--
Brian T. Reid		|    Not necessarily,
Technical Staff 	| 	I could be arguing in my spare time! -MP