[comp.robotics] Info wanted; robot pool player

awm@ai.mit.edu (Andrew W. Moore) (12/07/90)

About 2 years ago on British TV I think I remember seeing a robot
playing snooker (a game like Pool) against a human professional
(the robot lost). I'd be very grateful if anyone can tell me anything
about this project or even confirm that I'm not imagining it.

Andrew Moore
awm@ai.mit.edu
617-253-4547
Room NE43-759, MIT AI Lab, 545 Technology Sq, Cambridge MA 02139

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/08/90)

In article <12247@life.ai.mit.edu> awm@ai.mit.edu (Andrew W. Moore) writes:
}
}About 2 years ago on British TV I think I remember seeing a robot
}playing snooker (a game like Pool) against a human professional
}(the robot lost). I'd be very grateful if anyone can tell me anything
}about this project or even confirm that I'm not imagining it.

You're not imagining it, though I saw it somewhat more than two years ago.
As I recall, the robot lost because the human player knew how to put spin
(aka English) on the ball for various special conditions while the robot
could only do simple vector calculations.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

pic@mlb.dmt.csiro.au (Peter Corke) (12/10/90)

A British pool playing robot is described in;

	Rennel, I.J., and Khodabadehloo, K.
	"Development of Skilled Robots: A new approach in robotics"
	Proc.Int.Symp.on Industrial Robots (20th ISIR)
	Tokyo, 1989.
	pp. 145-153

			Peter

-----
Peter Corke,                         PHONE: +61 3 487-9259
Senior Research Scientist            INTERNET: pic@mlb.dmt.csiro.au
CSIRO Div. Manufacturing Technology  ACSNET or CSNET:pic@mimir.dmt.oz.au
Melbourne, Australia. 3072

smithc@motcid.UUCP (Chris Smith) (12/10/90)

In article <12247@life.ai.mit.edu>, awm@ai.mit.edu (Andrew W. Moore) writes:
<
< About 2 years ago on British TV I think I remember seeing a robot
< playing snooker (a game like Pool) against a human professional
< (the robot lost). I'd be very grateful if anyone can tell me anything
< about this project or even confirm that I'm not imagining it.
<
< Andrew Moore
< awm@ai.mit.edu
< 617-253-4547
< Room NE43-759, MIT AI Lab, 545 Technology Sq, Cambridge MA 02139

Could you please summarize the information you receive and post the
results.  I would be very interested in any information you might
receive.
--
o-------------------------------------------------------------------------o
o Chris Smith @ Motorola Inc. uunet!motcid!smithc                         o

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (12/11/90)

This brings up a subject dear to my heart:  I'd like a robot fencing
partner.  Are there low-cost robots around which have the speed and
flexibility to handle this?  I've got the Power Glove already...

Software for repetitive training drills shouldn't be a big problem :-)

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/12/90)

In article <2323@greek.csd.mot.com> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:
}This brings up a subject dear to my heart:  I'd like a robot fencing
}partner.  Are there low-cost robots around which have the speed and
}flexibility to handle this?  I've got the Power Glove already...
}
}Software for repetitive training drills shouldn't be a big problem :-)

I've heard the human arm has something over 30 degrees of freedom.  I
don't think there's anything commercially available that even comes close
to that, let alone adding the flexibility of the human body supporting it.

I can visualize your fencing partner being built around a nine or ten DOF
hybrid arm with a force sensing gripper.  You'd have to wear a position
sensing garment to tell its controller where you were and what you were
doing.  The computing power required would be non-trivial, but doable with
custom, dedicated hardware.  The power needed to give it useful speed would
also make it very dangerous.  It still wouldn't behave like a human being,
or even look much like one.

As for low-cost, it could probably be kept under $1 million.  If you could
get the grants to pay for it and were willing to trust unpaid student
labor for design, construction and programming it might be kept under
$200K, but I doubt it.

Paul Atreides wanna-bes are just going to have to wait for technology to
catch up with their dreams.

--

dennisg@felix.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (12/15/90)

writes:
>This brings up a subject dear to my heart:  I'd like a robot fencing
>partner.  Are there low-cost robots around which have the speed and
>flexibility to handle this?  I've got the Power Glove already...
>
>Software for repetitive training drills shouldn't be a big problem :-)

I'm not sure how serious that request is, but it's a little scary.  Think
about it:  a "low-cost robot" (read imprecise), with hacked-together
software (read non-certified for safety-critical).  Then you hand it a weapon
(even though a training type) and get close enough for it to whack you?  Not
me, brother.

How about taking your Power Glove, clamping on some Eyephones (or a cheaper
equivalent), and firing up a Virtual Reality with a simulated partner to
practice with.  If the simulation breaks down, at least it doesn't thrash
around with a foil!

rg@msel.unh.edu (Roger Gonzalez) (12/27/90)

In the movie "Silent Running" they show a robotic pool player.  I'm not
sure if it was just SFX or actually real.  Looked neat.

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra