[comp.robotics] Hero 2000

rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (01/07/91)

A few years ago, my Dad and I got one these babies, hoping to put it together
and have countless hours of fun with the thing.  Unfortunately, after we finished building it, it didn't work, so piece by peice, I have sent the robot to
Heath for testing, and sure enough, all my peices work great (or so they say).
Anyway, when I power it up, the "voice" light sticks on and it does not write
to the terminal (I have it hooked up to my Mac II).  I'm sure the connection
is good because I get a little startup and shutdown "noise" on my terminal,
which is usually a couple of characters.

Does anybody have experience with this robot.  I'm no electrical engineer,
and I don't have access to $100,000 oscilloscopes, but I am pretty technically
oriented if anyone has some advice.

Richard B. Hutchings
Dept ofInfo and Comp Sci, UC Irvine

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (01/08/91)

In article <9101061917.aa18056@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU> rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU writes:
}... I'm sure the connection
}is good because I get a little startup and shutdown "noise" on my terminal,
}which is usually a couple of characters.

Are the characters sensible/expected?  If not, look for baud rate and/or
parity problems.  Hook it up to a standard, dumb terminal if you can, just
to avoid confusing more than one issue at a time. (Apologies to K&R (-: ).

}Does anybody have experience with this robot.  ...

Heath took it off the market almost two years ago, allegedly because of
mechanical problems with the arm.  That's all I know.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

ANDQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (Andrew A. Beveridge) (01/08/91)

In article <22453@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) says:

>In article <9101061917.aa18056@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU> rhutchin@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU
>writes:
>
>}Does anybody have experience with this robot.  ...
>
>Heath took it off the market almost two years ago, allegedly because of
>mechanical problems with the arm.  That's all I know.

I just talked to Heath mail order yesterday, and they no longer sell robots
of any kind.  Anybody know anything about this?  Do others sell HERO sort of
robots?  Any comments?
-------
                        Andrew A. Beveridge
                        Department of Sociology
                        Queens College and Graduate Center
                        City University of New York
                        209 Kissena Hall
                        Flushing, NY 11367  718-520-7093

dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu (David C. Troup) (01/09/91)

In article <22453@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:

>Heath took it off the market almost two years ago, allegedly because of
>mechanical problems with the arm.  That's all I know.

	Our HERO has had lots of arm problems, and we're working on
	a new arm now. Ive seen about 5 arms come and go with our
	little robot. When it doesn work, it's quite nice to work
	with, even when the 360 sonar gives funny readings. :-)

--
David C. Troup is dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu|            |            |  Visual   |
________________________________________|414.524.6811|    2600    |Technology |

adnan@screech.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (01/09/91)

If it does, then it has passed the self test. Now you need a null modem
cable. to connect. and make sure you setup the correct baud rate on the
hero keypad.
After that you need to punch "RESET" "RS232" "BASIC" if all is well
the terminal will give you an indication of HERO-2000 basic being
ready.

If you have specific questions send me Email.

-adnan
.

--

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)

roybalm@tramp.colorado.edu (ROYBAL MICHAEL) (01/22/91)

	Okay, I read about many people who had Hero 2000's and said they did not
know if they were still begin sold or what.  Anyhow, it appeared that no one kne
w where they could be found, or parts for that matter.  I was reading a magazine
and I found the following:

	Radio-Electronics: January 1991(page 19 of the RE shopper in the middle)
		HERO 2000 ROBOT ARM & BASE - $399.95
		HERO 2000 ROBOT ARM KIT    - $179.95
		HERO 2000 "B" KIT          - $ 49.95(this is the misc parts)

	The company is called Mendelson Electronics Inc. and can be reached at

				1-800-422-3525

	I recommend you purchase a copy of the magazine(or go to the library)
and read the information that they give you(about what comes with the kits).

Michael Roybal			Internet: roybalm@tramp.colorado.edu

smith@wookie.dec.com (Willie Smith) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan22.011154.19417@csn.org>, roybalm@tramp.colorado.edu (ROYBAL MICHAEL) writes...

>	Radio-Electronics: January 1991(page 19 of the RE shopper in the middle)
>		HERO 2000 ROBOT ARM & BASE - $399.95
>		HERO 2000 ROBOT ARM KIT    - $179.95
>		HERO 2000 "B" KIT          - $ 49.95(this is the misc parts)
>
>	The company is called Mendelson Electronics Inc. and can be reached at
>
>				1-800-422-3525

I have the Heath robot arm and base I got from Heathkit shortly before they
dropped them, and while I got a good price (at the time), it was almost
twice as much as you can now get them surplus.  While this isn't a "real,
industrial quality" arm, it's quite well designed, and is a real bargain at
$400.  I'm planning on using mine on my Lunar Teleoperations vehicle, but
if you wanted to play with a robot arm without getting a toy, this is the
one.  It's got 6 degrees of freedom, a microprocessor for each axis, and a
Z-80 (running an interpreted BASIC) to oversee them all.  We had it opening
beer bottles, so it can't be all that bad!  You can program it from a
pendant or talk to it thru an RS-232 line.  It's not quick, but it's got
good repeatability (each axis is programmable down to 0.1 degrees), and a
variable-force gripper.

Willie Smith
smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com
smith%sndpit.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!sndpit.enet.dec.com!smith