[comp.robotics] Found: C source for PD or shareware 8051 assembler.

newman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bill Newman) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.193752.20671@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> newman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bill Newman) writes:
>I am thinking of using an 8051-family microcontroller to handle motors
>and sensors for a simple robot.  I'm prepared to write simple programs
>in 8051 assembler, but I don't have an assembler.  I'd like pointers
>to C source (or Atari executable :-) for an 8051 assembler, preferably
>free or cheap ($30 shareware would be fine).

Ask an easy question, get a lot of answers very fast, it appears.  I have
gotten a half dozen replies, one asking for a copy of an assembler if
available, and the rest with pointers to such an assembler.
These pointers fall into two classes:

  (1) Ask your Intel rep about the Intel BBS, which should have source
for such an assembler (my correspondent did not have the number).  Since
Motorola has been pushing their BBS and it sounds useful, I should have
guessed that Intel would have to come up with something similar; I wish
that the Intel reps I talked to last year had told me about it.

  (2) Comp.sources.misc archives (volume 10, issue 60) has such an
assembler, asm.8051, by Kenneth Stauffer.  Comp.sources.misc archives are
apparently available on uunet.uu.net.  Several posters pointed this
program out; one says he has used it extensively and finds it quite
good.

  Thanks again!  If any more useful information comes in, I'll summarize
it, too; I just thought I should post these two solutions now to keep
too many readers from spending hours duplicating these solutions.

  Bill Newman
  newman@theory.tn.cornell.edu