[comp.robotics] Graphical Robot Simulators

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Chris Pudney) (02/13/91)

G'day,

	The following has the potential to be included in a FAQ monthly
posting.  Here goes anyway.  An associate of mine is interested in
purchasing a graphical robot simulator.  If you are using such a beast or
are familiar with one then please let me know.  Information regarding the
software's cost, platforms it supports, and most importantly the address of
its manufacturer (so he can get hold of their current glossy brochure) would
be much appreciated.

	If there is enough interest I shall post a compilation of the
replies I receive.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE.
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455
University  of Western  Australia,
Nedlands, Western AUSTRALIA, 6009.    FAX:   (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 382 1688
E-MAIL:  chrisp@cs.uwa.oz.au
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Chris Pudney) (02/21/91)

G'day,

	As promised here is a compilation of the replies I received to my
request for information about graphical robot simulator software:

From: "Newsletter of the Australian Robot Association - Jan 1991

``"Vision in Design" of Punchbowl N.S.W. announces the Australian
availability of version 2.0 of the "Workspace" robot-simulation software
developed by "Robot Simulations" in the U.K.  The software, which runs on
an IBM-compatible personal computer, is claimed to provide features similar
to those available on much more expensive programs that require workstation
hardware.  Version 2.0 is said to be faster than the initial version and to
offer such capabilities as automatic collision detection, 3D solid shaded
colour graphics real-time display of simulations, and an expanded library
of inverse kinematics algorithms for standard robots.  Up to nine robots
and associated machinery may be simulated simultaneously.  Custom-designed
robots having up to nine links can be simulated.''

Many thanks to those who provided me with information.  Hope you find this
useful.