[comp.robotics] Behavior-based robotics

mark@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Mark Nelson) (03/14/91)

Below is a selection of references to research on behaviour-based robot
control systems.  If anyone has any other interesting references then please
post them.

%A Arkin, R
%T Integrating Behavioral, Perceptual, and World Knowledge
%T in Reactive Navigation
%I North-Holland
%B Robotics and Autonomous Systems
%V 6
%D 1990
%P 105-122

%A Arkin, R
%T Motor Schema-Based Mobile Robot Navigation
%I IEEE
%J The International Journal of Robotics Research
%V 8
%N 4
%D August 1989
%P 92-112

%A Arkin, R
%T Dynamic Replanning for a Mobile Robot Based on Internal Sensing
%I IEEE Computer Society Press
%J Proceedings of the 1989 IEEE International Conference on
%J Robotics and Automation
%V 3
%D 14-19 May 1989
%P 1416-1421

%A Arkin, R
%T Intelligent Mobile Robots in the Workplace:
%T Leaving the Guide Behind
%I ACM Press
%J The First International Conference on Industrial & Engineering
%J Applications of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems
%J IEA/AIE-88
%V 1
%D 1-3 June 1988
%P 553-561

%A Arkin, R
%T Towards Cosmopolitan Robots: Intelligent Navigation
%T in Extended Man-made Environments
%I University of Massachusetts at Amherst
%J COINS Technical Report (PhD thesis)
%N 87-80
%D September 1987

%A Arkin, R
%T Motor Schema Based Navigation for a Mobile Robot:
%T An Approach to Programming by Behaviour
%I IEEE
%J Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on
%J Robotics and Automation: REPRINT
%D 31 March - 3 April, 1987
%P 264-271

%A Ballard, D
%A Nelson, R
%A Yamauchi, B
%T Animate Vision
%J Optics News
%V 15
%N 5
%D May 1989
%P 16-25

%A Brooks, R
%T A Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot
%I Massachusetts Institute of Technology
%I Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MITAIL
%M A.I. Memo 864
%D September 1985

%A Brooks, R
%T The Whole Iguana
%I MIT Press
%B Robotics Science
%E Brady, M
%D 1989
%P 432-456

%A Brooks, R
%A Connell, J
%A Flynn, A
%T A Mobile Robot with Onboard Parallel Processor and Large Workspace Arm
%I AAAI
%J The 5th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI-86
%V 2
%D 11-15 August 1986
%P 1096-1100

%A Brooks, R
%A Flynn, A
%A Marill, T
%T Self Calibration of Motion and Stereo Vision for Mobile Robot Navigation
%I Morgan Kaufmann
%J Proceedings: Image Understanding Workshop, DARPA
%V 1
%D 6-8 April 1988
%P 398-410

%A Brooks, R
%T Engineering Approach to Building Complete, Intelligent Beings
%I SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering
%J Intelligent Robots and Computer Vision
%E Casasent, D
%V 1002
%D 7-11 November, 1988
%P 618-625

%A Brooks, R
%T A Robot that Walks; Emergent Behaviors from a Carefully Evolved Network
%I IEEE Computer Society Press
%J Proceedings of the 1989 IEEE International Conference on
%J Robotics and Automation
%V 2
%D 14-19 May 1989
%P 692-694

%A Connell, J
%T A Behavior-Based Arm Controller
%I IEEE
%J IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation
%V 5
%N 6
%D Dec 1989
%P 784-791

%A Connell, J
%T Creature Design with the Subsumption Architecture
%I Morgan Kaufmann
%J Proceedings of the Tenth International Joint Conference
%J on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI-87
%E McDermott, J
%V 2
%D 23-28 August 1987
%P 1124-1126

%A Cudhea, P
%A Brooks, R
%T Coordinating Multiple Goals for a Mobile Robot
%I North-Holland
%J International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous Systems
%E Hertzberger, L
%E Groen, F
%D 8-11 Dec 1986
%P 168-174

%A Flynn, A
%A Brooks, R
%T MIT Mobile robots - What's Next?
%I Computer Society Press
%J 1988 IEEE International Conference on
%J Robotics and Automation
%V 1
%D April 24-29, 1988
%P 611-617

%A Horswill, I
%A Brooks, R
%T Situated Vision in a Dynamic World: Chasing Objects
%I Morgan Kaufmann
%J Proceedings of the Seventh National Conference
%J on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI-88
%V 2
%D 21-26 Aug, 1988
%P 796-800

%A Kadonoff, L
%A Benayad-Cherif, F
%A Franklin, A
%A Maddox, J
%A Muller, L
%A Moravec, H
%T Arbitration of Multiple Control Strategies for Mobile Robots
%I SPIE
%J Mobile Robots
%V 727
%D Oct 1986 (published 1987)
%P 90-98

%A Kaelbling, L
%T An Architecture for Intelligent Reactive Systems
%I Morgan Kaufmann
%J Proceedings of the 1986 Workshop: Reasoning about Actions and Plans
%E Georgeff, M
%E Lansky, A
%D 30 June - 2 July, 1986
%P 395-410

%A Nelson, M
%T An Adaptive Control System for Mobile Robot Navigation
%I The Australian Robot Association
%J Third National Conference on Robotics
%D June 1990
%P 186-197

%A Payton, D
%T An Architecture for Reflexive Autonomous Vehicle Control
%I IEEE Computer Society Press
%J 1986 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation
%V 3
%D April 7-10, 1986
%P 1838-1845

%A Rosenblatt, J
%A Payton, D
%T A Fine-Grained Alternative to the Subsumption Architecture
%T for Mobile Robot Control
%J Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks
%V 2
%D June 1989
%P 317-323

%A Yamauchi, B
%T JUGGLER: Real-Time Sensorimotor Control Using Independennt Agents
%J Image Understanding and Machine Vision
%J Optical Society of America Technical Digest
%D June 1989

%A Yamauchi, B
%T JUGGLER: A Behavior-Based Balloon-Bouncing Robot Using
%T the Independent Agents Architecture
%I IEEE
%J IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (submitted)
%D 1990

Enjoy!
        Mark Nelson

   _    Department of Computer Science,    CSNet: mark@cs.uwa.oz.au
   o    University of Western Australia,   ARPA:  mark%cs.uwa.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
  < -   Mounts Bay Rd,                     UUCP:  ..!uunet!munnari!wacsvax!mark
  / >   Crawley, Western Australia, 6009.
 '  ~   PHONE:  (09) 380 2305              OVERSEAS: +61 9 380 2305

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (03/17/91)

In article <mark.668929898@numbat> mark@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Mark Nelson) writes:
>Below is a selection of references to research on behaviour-based robot
>control systems.  If anyone has any other interesting references then please
>post them.

Thanks for posting your references.

A more recent paper describing my work will be published in April as:

"A Behavior-Based Architecture for Robots Using Real-Time Vision",
Brian Yamauchi and Randal Nelson, Proceedings of the 1991 IEEE
International Conference on Robotics and Automation.

Here are a few more references:

"Fast, Cheap and Out of Control: A Robot Invasion of the Solar
System", Rodney Brooks and Anita Flynn, Journal of the British
Interplanetary Society, October 1989.

"Cooperative Control of a Semi-Autonomous Mobile Robot", Jonathan
Connell and Paul Viola, Proceedings of the 1990 IEEE International
Conference on Robotics and Automation.

"Twilight Zones and Cornerstones: A Gnat Robot Double Feature", Anita
Flynn, Rodney Brooks, Lee Tavrow, MIT AI Memo 1126, July 1989.

"Environment Learning Using a Distributed Representation", Maja
Mataric, Proceedings of the 1990 IEEE International Conference on
Robotics and Automation.

"Learning to Coordinate Behaviors", Pattie Maes and Rodney Brooks,
Proceedings of AAAI-90.

"Automatic Programming of Behavior-Based Robots Using Reinforcement
Learning", Sridhar Mahadevan and Jonathan Connell, IBM Research Report
RC 16359, 1990.

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Department of Computer Science