[comp.robotics] APEC '91 MicroMouse Competition

jim@psitech.com (Jim Rothrock) (03/26/91)

The latest MicroMouse competition took place at the Applied Power
Electronics Conference on March 13, 1991, in Dallas, Texas.
The results are summarized below.

Mouse		Team		Score	Fastest Run
-----		----		-----	-----------
NP-SIM III	Singapore	16.47	20.38
NP-PET III	Singapore	17.84	27.25
MITEE 6		MIT		21.65	13.88
NP-WIND		Singapore	31.84	17.43
NP-AIM		Singapore	135.05	145.05
NP-FIRM		Singapore	138.2	188.2
NP-EE 1		Singapore	Retired
Zeetah III	Team Zeetah	Retired
Jerry		UC Davis	Retired

The team from Singapore was made up of students from several universities
in Singapore.  Their stepper-motor-based mice did very well, taking the
first and second place prizes.

Although it achieved the fastest run time, Massachusetts Institute of
Technology's MITEE 6 came in third.  A couple of wipe-outs, plus the
maze search time penalty, placed MITEE's score below the top two
Singapore mice.

Team Zeetah (Harjit Singh and I) had only recently gotten their mouse
working.  It had never been run in a full-size maze before the day of
the competition.  *After* the competition, some mechanical adjustments
were made to raise up the infrared sensors, allowing Zeetah to achieve
a fastest run of 36 seconds.

University of California, Davis is working on a new mouse, but it wasn't
ready in time for the competition.  Instead, they ran their old mouse,
Jerry.  The UC Davis team explained to the audience that Jerry was their
first try at a MicroMouse and that they were surprised that it worked as
well as it did.  Jerry mapped a significant portion of the maze, but
never reached the center.
--
Jim Rothrock    | Disclaimer: My opinions do *not* represent the opinions
jim@psitech.com | of PsiTech, Inc.

kube@cs.UAlberta.CA (Ron Kube) (03/26/91)

jim@psitech.com (Jim Rothrock) writes:

>The latest MicroMouse competition took place at the Applied Power
>Electronics Conference on March 13, 1991, in Dallas, Texas.

Are there any videos of this event?