[comp.robotics] What do users think of compiled Lisp performance on SPARCs?

marek@msel.unh.edu (Marek W Lugowski) (04/11/91)

Has it been the people's (users') experience that the current state of
the art in Lisp (perhaps specifically Allegro's Presto system, but not
only) is such that the compiled code runs as fast and in as small a
space as C++ or C?

We're looking for real-time embedded applications and would like to know
what the users think.

					-- Marek

P.s.  Please respond by mail and I will summarize.

baechler@disuns2.epfl.ch (Emmanuel Baechler) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.133331.19775@unhd.unh.edu>, marek@msel.unh.edu
(Marek W Lugowski) writes:

> Has it been the people's (users') experience that the current state
> of
> the art in Lisp (perhaps specifically Allegro's Presto system, but
> not
> only) is such that the compiled code runs as fast and in as small a
> space as C++ or C?

I didn't do benchmarks, but people using Allegro Common Lisp in our lab
find its speed perfectly adequate (its weakness lies on its developpment
environnment (compared with a lisp machine)). However, they are not doing
real time systems. Anyway, even if it would be a little bit slower than
C, I find much more comfortable to use Common Lisp than a structured
assembly language.

E. Baechler
AI Lab.
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
MA - Ecublens
1015 Lausanne	Swizterland
baechler@liasun4.epfl.ch

Standard disclaimer