[comp.robotics] Proximity Sensors

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) (10/09/90)

Dear Comp.Roboticist,

	We are interested in eqipping a manipulator with some sort of
proximity sensing and would be grateful for any advice from persons who
have used proximity sensing of one sort or another.  Ideally we are
looking for a sensor which will be able to provide the direction and
distance to the nearest object (Knock/touch sensors would be considered
a last resort).

	If you have any information you think we would find helpful, please
don't hesitate in letting me know.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE.
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455
University  of Western  Australia,
Nedlands, Western AUSTRALIA, 6009.    FAX:   (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 382 1688
E-MAIL:  chrisp@wacsvax.cs.uwa.oz.au
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455

mgobbi@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (10/10/90)

Have you considered using sonics?  It shouldn't be that hard to broadcast
a narrow beam of sound and wait for the echo.  If the speaker-mike is on
a rotating boom, you can tell what angle (relative the the robot) the object
is at.  It may even be possible to determine the size of the object based on
the volume of the echo (with the delay giving the range).

I seem to recall that there are surveying instruments on the market that you
simply point at a target and they digitally read out the range.  One of these
could be connected to a hardware interface fairly easily as well (I think).

I'm not a robotics person, so forgive me if this idea is way out in left
field.
--
     __
    /..\      In quest of knowledge....

jpexg@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (10/10/90)

>	We are interested in eqipping a manipulator with some sort of
>proximity sensing and would be grateful for any advice from persons who
>have used proximity sensing of one sort or another....
>Chris Pudney
>University  of Western  Australia

A few years ago I saw a film brought by a guy from your very institution,
about a robot sheep shearer. The cutter head "flew" over the animal's body
using capacitive sensing (the sheep was grounded). It was claimed to work
well, but perhaps it didn't really perform under realistic conditions.

Optical sensors always appealed to me more anyway.

John Purbrick
jpexg@ai.mit.edu

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (10/16/90)

In article <chrisp.655433520@cricket> chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Christopher Pudney) writes:

>	We are interested in eqipping a manipulator with some sort of
>proximity sensing and would be grateful for any advice from persons who
>have used proximity sensing of one sort or another.  Ideally we are
>looking for a sensor which will be able to provide the direction and
>distance to the nearest object (Knock/touch sensors would be considered
>a last resort).
>
>	If you have any information you think we would find helpful, please
>don't hesitate in letting me know.

At the recent North American Micromouse championships (see forthcoming
article for details), I was impressed that Bill Ottman's mouse used
infra-red LEDs and focused IR detectors to successfully distance objects
as far as 4 inches away.  The output was amplified and fed into a ADC
which then fed a look up table for true luminosity/distance correlation.

Of course, you have not specified the scale of your implementation.  How
large is your manipulator field?

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

chrisp@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Chris Pudney) (04/26/91)

G'day,

I am working on a collision prevention project for our U.M.I. RTX robot arm.
The arm has a reach of approximately 1.3m (~4.25ft) and a stopping distance
of the order of a few centimetres (a few / 2.54 inches).

Collisions will be prevented by sensors mounted on the arm that alert the
controller when an obstacle is approaching the arm's stopping distance.
The controller then halts the arm before collision with the obstacle can
occur.

I have considered using ultra-sonic sensors (such as the Polaroid sensor),
but have read that this sensor behaves poorly for distances less than 30cm
(~1ft).  Active damping of the transducer can improve performance for such
distances.  Also in order to completely protect the RTX arm would require a
number of sensors.  They cost about $500 each here.

Alternatively, I could use I-R sensors.  These sensors operate well at
distances under 30cm (~1ft) and are less prone to specular reflections than
ultra-sonic sensors.  They are however affected by surface colour and have a
fairly narrow beam width (so I may literally have to plaster the arm with
sensors to completely protect it).  Again cost may be a limiting factor
here.

I would appreciate any information (operating ranges, prices, problems etc.)
you have that would help me choose a sensor suitable for the task outlined
above.  Stories of proximity sensors you have used are also welcome.

E-MAIL:  chrisp@cs.uwa.oz.au
Chris Pudney

Department  of  Computer  Science,    PHONE: (local: 09) (int'l: +61 9) 380 3455

espiau@alcor.inria.fr (Bernard Espiau) (04/29/91)

	See: `Use of Optical Proximity Sensors' by B. Espiau in
	     `Recent Advances in Robotics', edited by S. Hackwood and G. Beni,
	     John Wiley & sons, New York, january 1985;
	      and also:
	     `Collision Avoidance for Redundant Robots with Proximity Sensors', by
	     B. Espiau and R. Boulic, Third International Symposium on Robotics Research
	     The MIT Press, 1986